Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Another Scandal rocks the domain world as Rick Schwartz outs Chef Patrick!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Moniker has reps here

are they offering up any further explanations or is a gag order in effect

Bari, Bari...where are you?

Domain Summit 2024

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
How do you measure the impact this has if you don't know what accounts were impacted or what the obtained information was used for?

-=DCG=-

Adam, I can only measure the impact it has on trust and ethics. Materials are of secondary importance to me. I will assume that Chef's sole motivation was to find who owned that *sucks domain and scare them off. Definitely an immature and impulsive move with several failing points.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Adam, I can only measure the impact it has on trust and ethics. Materials are of secondary importance to me. I will assume that Chef's sole motivation was to find who owned that *sucks domain and scare them off. Definitely an immature and impulsive move with several failing points.

Good point.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This has been the widest-known secret of the past 90 days; anyone who says "wow!" was either hiding under a rock or wants to act this way.
Well, I guess I am one of those under a rock.

Over the course of the past 5 or 6 years, I have not been the darling of domaindom many would want me to be because I have been very critical and vocal about the way domainers behave and always crying that they are being picked on by regulatory agencies. Seems to many that it is never a domainers fault no matter what the URDP or WIPO or even the law is.

I do not read the daily dose of Rick, or Sahar, or Frank, or Elliot (Love ya', EJS), or many of the other pillars of the community because those pillars are some massive turds who look like a pillar because when shit dries it turns white. I have had several ask me why I do not follow them or subscribe to them.

Here's a little secret many do not know...I have turned down requests to be on Monte's show, Bob's show, guest columnist on other blogs BUT, and the big BUT is... on occasion (very loosely defined occasion) I had to agree with them.

The emails I have kept and could publish would perhaps (or not) topple over a pillar(s) (for sure at least one). I don't want to play their games because I don't know the rules to the game...and the rules are changed as the course of the game progresses.

I laughed myself silly reading on this forum how a domainer was scammed in a Ponzi scheme (laughed myself silly over a couple of names mentioned).

So sorry, Theo. I live under a rock but it sure as hell is not the pedestal that the pillars are built upon. The suspicions you (et al) about Halverez 2 years in advance of the truth...well, after that fiasco nothing surprises me, including this latest scandal. And I really don't know the details.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
What can I say then Doc, ignorance is bliss. We are a small industry as you know and nothing has the potency to remain secret for too long.

D

Deleted member 70408

I do not read the daily dose of Rick, or Sahar, or Frank, or Elliot (Love ya', EJS)

DAMN... I was wondering why my traffic dwindled from 6 to 5 daily visits a few months ago. :) Hope all is good on your end DC.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well, there is always something going on under the murky waters of that little industry of ours.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What can I say then Don, ignorance is bliss. We are a small industry as you know and nothing has the potency to remain secret for too long.

yeah

i'm like Doc, i don't follow the blogs to read what others say about others

but i followed and posted on this because it goes deeper than what's on top

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
I meant to say "Doc", not "Don" but my point is still the same :)

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
DAMN... I was wondering why my traffic dwindled from 6 to 5 daily visits a few months ago. :) Hope all is good on your end DC.
HHHHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHEEEEEEHHHHEEEEEE

Too funny.

---------- Post added at 05:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:09 PM ----------

I meant to say "Doc", not "Don" but my point is still the same :)
Gotca. And my point is how touchy some of these people get to just one little iota of disagreement.

I recall that when the Twitter thing first started up, I thought the thing to do was follow domainers. Oh, HELL NO! It was a heavy dose of spamarama that I have ever encountered. One person (mentioned in this thread) was so upset that I stopped following him and wanted to know, Why did you stop following me?

I soon realized what it was like to be in the same room with 45 people and each trying to shout over the other.

Namebrander

Level 10
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Agreed ! (except the godaddy bit lol) The whole thing stinks and suggests much more is going on behind the scenes

scroll down to Rick's most recent comment.

now Monte has gone, there is nothing keeping my domains at Moniker, think Oversee is firmly in the toilet. think I may actually go back to GD!

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If I've learned one thing over the past five years from this industry - it's dirty, full of cheats and scammers, inflated non-sales, pump and dumps and other associated nonsense. If it were not for the good people around the edges it would be truly the wild west.

sunshine

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Crook Patrick, not even in this biz 3 years, has 2 major scandals notched in his belt.

One was the unethical privacy breach as a Moniker employee (parted on good terms? Don't think so!).

The other many may not know... Colleagues came forward privately stating he refused to refund deposits for
those who couldn't make the cruise last year.

Not big amounts. A few hundred dollars each. But still keeping ppl's money, and he asked some to "keep it just between us" so he could retain his image and following.

Less than 3 years in this biz and this is the crap he pulls (without admitting to any of it). Do you think he'll do any
differently in the future?

I sure don't.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have to admit the timing of the exposure of all these scams and lack of ethics are all coming out what seems to be the same time.

While there was the .asia fiasco (which was years ago), the Halvarez scandal came out last year, countless accusations at the registrars, parking companies, auction houses, and domainers.

Lots of higher ups and industry pioneers retiring or changing positions.

It makes you wonder what is coming in the wind.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think she already had one. ;)

-=DCG=-
Egad! Now I remember those pictures of her with the drawn-on beard.

---------- Post added at 06:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:27 PM ----------

Be careful Doc, there are gender bender scammers in this industry :D
I am gender neutral.

Um, what I mean is... :smile:

Tia Wood

Web Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Egad! Now I remember those pictures of her with the drawn-on beard.

Please, no details. I just had dinner.

I am holding off judgment on the Chef Patrick thing, waiting to hear his side of the story at least. If the domainer's employer was contacted; I want to know in what manner and what happened with that. And I would be interested to know why Patrick didn't just come out and tell his side from the get go.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hmmm. I find the timing of the ChefPatrickSucks.com registration very peculiar. There were some people upset with him at that time.

I think what may be more interesting about this whole thing is who registered the domain name.
Damn, y'all sure are a hell of a lot sharper than me...I just now "got it".

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom