Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

BEWARE!!! DNF Member ThisDot's account is compromised!

Status
Not open for further replies.

owntag

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Please BEWARE! DNF member ThisDot's account is compromised!

I recently sent some offer for his domain Webcam.us and we didn't agree to a price.

Today, ThisDot sent me a PM asking me that he's willing to take my last offer $2k and sell the domain to me because he needs to use the funds to pay a bill. I don't have that much money in my paypal balance now so finally we agreed to a price $1700 that I sent him $750 via masspay today and another $950 by Monday.

But ThisDot gave me a paypal email [email protected] that holder's name is Alex, while the domain's whois name is David. I questioned this and I thought it was a typo.

He replied quickly and it makes sense to me unfortunately :(

ThisDot said:
yes the account owner name is alex
as i told i need the money for the bill
as i didnt want to pay the paypal fees and also my paypal account had some problems i prefered you pay him directly
also domain has been pushed please go to your godaddy account and accept it,then make payment

Then he pushed the domain to my account and at meanwhile, I masspaid him $750. I also left him positive feedback.

Right after I received the domain and ready to sleep, I received the PM from ThisDot at NAMEPROS. And I was told that his DNF account is compromised and godaddy account also got hacked.

ThisDot said:
I am assuming you are owntag from DNF. My DNF account and my GoDaddy account were just Hacked. I am unable to login at DNF. I received a PM about an hour ago on DNF regarding "webcam.us" that had me misquoted. I am not selling webcam.us for $2000. Webcam.us has been STOLEN. If you are buying... it is from the theif. Please reverse any payment that you have made for the domain asap.

Please respond to this ASAP.

Thanks,
David

So DNF members please beware this hacked account. Admin please check with the genuine ThisDot (David).
I will wait a few hours to confirm that if David's DNF account is indeed hacked, I will return the domain name to David for sure. I don't know if paypal will protect me in this case (from my past experience, they don't), but I would do the right thing and take the $750 loss.

It's 3:37am here in U.K. I may have to sleep and will check back tomorrow. :(

Johnn

Administrator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
owntag,

Let me contact admin and have the account locked.
He will provide you with the info so you can send to David and have his account reinstate.

Thanks,

owntag

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks John

I have notified David@NP about this thread.
Once Admin confirmed that ThisDot's DNF account was hacked, I will return the domain to David.

Bassel

Bnom.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
That is so F***ing bad, I had the same issue 10 days back i lost 1.1k, the scammer also hacked a guy's account and tried selling.

Man I'm really sorry of what happened to you, but believe me he is going to lose his hands!

-Bassel

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This is the third one that I am aware of in the past week or so.

Someone is hacking into other accounts.

If someone has contact with Daniel, have him PM me. I have another thread that I need to ascertain if he is the actual owner of some domains while I was doing a WHOIS search.

---------- Post added 01-30-2010 at 12:01 AM ---------- Previous post was 01-29-2010 at 11:58 PM ----------

owntag,

Let me contact admin and have the account locked.
He will provide you with the info so you can send to David and have his account reinstate.

Thanks,
You also need to lock Lugia2000. We have asked for this several days now. Not only has the account been taken over by someone else, that person is also viewing threads using Lugia2000 member name. Hartono has a new account of LovePeace.

PRED

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
thanks for bringing this to our attention

i have bought names from thisdot recently and he seems a good guy, he doesnt log in often though so has anyone emailed him? admin?

also by 'coincidence' i caught a member trying to sell some of thisdots names and some of mine! :upset: on another forum yesterday. i contacted forum owner straight away and gave heads up, and said wasn't just a mistake as domains are owned by 2 other people, 90% of list at least werent owned by this member.
'LLL.' is username at mobility of dodgy member imo

i have alerted Andres to this thread also (owner of mobility) , as if account has been hacked by this same member then we may know details of person responsible
maybe unrelated but seems too much of a coincidence

sickens me all this happeneing, especially as you have private negotiations in pms and usernames and emails of registrar accounts

have you secured account admin? and locked down? and contacted this dot by email?

C

Chuck

I am working with David to restore his account at this time.

ThisDot

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I am working with David to restore his account at this time.

Thanks Admin... I now have control of my account back, you can delete the temp acct.

The only thread I can currently find posted by the hacker is the 4954.com thread which has already been closed.

---------- Post added at 08:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:49 AM ----------

PRED,

Can you pm me a link to that forum so I can double check those domains?

Thanks,
David

BTW: Admin worked fast to get this problem fixed before it went any further. (Thanks and keep up the good work!)

thanks for bringing this to our attention

i have bought names from thisdot recently and he seems a good guy, he doesnt log in often though so has anyone emailed him? admin?

also by 'coincidence' i caught a member trying to sell some of thisdots names and some of mine! :upset: on another forum yesterday. i contacted forum owner straight away and gave heads up, and said wasn't just a mistake as domains are owned by 2 other people, 90% of list at least werent owned by this member.
'LLL.' is username at mobility of dodgy member imo

i have alerted Andres to this thread also (owner of mobility) , as if account has been hacked by this same member then we may know details of person responsible
maybe unrelated but seems too much of a coincidence

sickens me all this happeneing, especially as you have private negotiations in pms and usernames and emails of registrar accounts

have you secured account admin? and locked down? and contacted this dot by email?

owntag

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
@ThisDot, glad to see your account is restored.
Please PM me your godaddy account info, I will push the domain back to your account once Admin confirmed your account status.

@Admin, please confirm this. Thanks.

I have made dispute via paypal, looking forward to receive their response. I would take the $750 loss if paypal can't protect me.
Lesson learned the hard way.

owntag

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Admin

David, pls pm me your godaddy account info :)

---------- Post added at 12:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:52 AM ----------

Update: I have just pushed the domain back to David's godaddy account.

ThisDot

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Thanks! Glad to know there are still good guys in this business.

Watch your GoDaddy email accounts and passwords guys. Hackers seem to be targeting GD and probably hacking your email to get your login info and password.

Credit

Buying CC.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Watch your GoDaddy email accounts and passwords guys. Hackers seem to be targeting GD and probably hacking your email to get your login info and password.

Do you have any idea how yours was hacked? This has been going on a lot so there has to be a general pattern. What was the email provider you used for your GoDaddy account? I know @aol.com used to have a lot of security issues.

Bassel

Bnom.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

I have to say that you are a very good man owntag! You are a very responsible person, and you deserve all the best!

I hope you can get your money back.

owntag

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks Bassel. Lesson learned anyway, I can't complain.

Hopefully paypal think the same way like you do. :)

south

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Owntag - very professional. Well done.

Folks, it's easy to have your account locked at godaddy if you have a dedicated rep. Talk to them about it. No domain can be transferred or pushed out of your account without a phone call to a number you specify from godaddy, even if it was initiated from your account with the service.

Bassel

Bnom.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Glad you got your accounts and domain back dude,

If i were you, i would sign up a quick account here, and notify everyone about your hacked accounts. This will avoid any similar problems that have happened to OwnTag.

1 question, as i knew the deal was negotiated and closed through pm, How did you know owntag have purchased the domain and how did you know that the domain was pushed to his account?

The reason im asking is im just curious how the hacker fell in the trap immediately have after he took the money away.

Thanks

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm sick of this crap. It's been going on for too long.
Fortunately, we have stand-up members that will do the right thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom