Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

BuyDomains secret revealed !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by safesys I choose domains that are descriptive or common to businesses. True, I have my fair share of rubbishy names too - but in the main the domains are ones *I'm* happy to use for their respective industry and so I just hope there are other people out there who think the same.
I sell passively and wait for buyers to come to me. When people approach me for a name, I tend to start negotiation at a minimum of $1,500 - usually quite bit more than that and see where we land. I have a ppc se page that converts traffic into revenue, so I am not reliant on domain sales - that way I can afford to wait and pick and choose the deals rather than having to take any offer given. I have a simple "for sale" graphic on the page as well to maximise interests even from those who may not contact the owner if the site is in use. Thats it, no real secret.

What I mean by secrets are things like why or how the buyers come to you (especially since you are passive)? Do they simply type the name into their browser and see where it goes? Are your names type-in names?

Very importantly, as you gather from reading my posts I have never found a revenue program which really works. Would you mind sharing the name of the one that works for you? Thank you in advance. :)

Domain summit 2024

my names get type ins overall, but the names i sell are mainly not type in domains. the sales come because the domain term happens to be something the buyer wants associated with their business - they type it in to see if its registered (presumably) and then contact me when they see the for sale graphic. It only takes one type in from one company that wants the domain enough to close a mid four figure sale. Thats what i mean about vanity sales.

findwhat.com is my ppc affiliate - but you need a lot of traffic to get in with them these days. If you have the traffic and can get a contract, they're a brilliant company to deal with - always pay on time or early and their bid values and term spread is excellent.

RacerX

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
how many WIPO complaints have you had, and has the 'for sale' sign been used against you?

If a party wishes to entrap you for udrp purposes, they will do it from your email responses regardless of any for sale sign on the web site.

I personally don't think you should run your business in fear of the udrp as it will just reduce your income and the shear random and contradictory nature of panel decisions means you can lose regardless of usage (barcelona.com, ec.com, traditions.com etc spring to mind). If you believe you have rights to a domain, you should be able to openly say its for sale (thats normal business practice) anything else is simply the result of a belief that your rights are not solid.

RacerX

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
not real interested opinions here. I have handled WIPO filings just fine *THANK YOU VERY MUCH*.

My question remains, and based upon your answer, I am to assume the answer is 'No'.

Thanks anyway...

fizz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Gee Racer, I thought safesys's answer was informative and helpful.

uncle

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
this is what happens when someone's trying to help people out. they find themselves under attack..

its always easier to attack than it is to help. maybe racerX can share experiences and ideas to help other domainers rather than just playing devils advocate.

RacerX

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
First of all, contrary to your beliefs, lawyers will use ALL means necessary in order to try to get your name. A 'For Sale' sign can and will be used against you. RacerX knows. It is a REAL weakness, and one every domain owner who is selling a VALUABLE name must take under consideration. It is a risk pure and simple, whether you want to believe it or not is your business. Wishful thinking to the contrary is just that, wishful.

Thank you for asking RacerX's opinion.

I was referring to help with generating *revenue* from domains, not udrp/court.

Share with us your methods for success in the sale/development of the racerX's domains VALUABLE or otherwise.

RacerX

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Was RacerX's question of:

"how many WIPO complaints have you had, and has the 'for sale' sign been used against you?"

having to do with generating revenue???

That was what we were talking about before you brought up the udrp/wipo element.

Do you have any experience with generating revenue?

RacerX

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
RacerX's model is similar to yours: Use pay per click search partnerships. Very similar to what you laid out earlier, sans the 'For sale' fluff.

(See, answering a simple 'yes' or 'no' is not hard. You too can do it, if you try real real hard!)

Now, with respect to my question that apparently I have to repeat a third time: "how many WIPO complaints have you had, and has the 'for sale' sign been used against you?"

The forum collective, while polite to answer the most respectable RacerX post, need not really 'belabour' this any further!!!

RacerX

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Having a UDRP WIPO case filed against you doesn't by definition mean it has merit!

revenue is the cornerstone of any business.

I've explained how using a "for sale" image helps generate revenue for me - so why don't you tell us how not using a for sale image generates revenue for the racerX collective.

out of interest, which ppc partner do you use - what is your experience with them and do you have a url of one of your sites we can look at?

Edwin

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well, I have 1,200+ domains all pointed to one place and have had various for-sale notices on and off on that page over the last 3 years, and I've never had a C&D or URDP action against me.

It all depends on how you select your names, how generic they are, and whether you check for potential "nasties" like trademarks at registration time.

RacerX

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Genki.

You are a smart guy, but lawyers will stop at nothing if the generic term/domain that you have is what they want. Oh Grasshopper, believe RacerX, there is a reason that 400 years ago Shakespeare scorned lawyers...

For sale signs probably increase the chance of having legel problems, but then again they likely increase the chance of selling names. So its simply a matter of deciding whether one factor offsets the other. Having said that if you look at the amount of true generics which have been lost at arbitration its only a fairly small number of names when compared to the numbers owned by domainers.

I understand what racerX is saying, a "for sale" can be used against a domain holder. But it boils down to whether you live in fear of udrp or whether you conduct your business as you would if it did not exist. To my mind, the additional sales generated from a "for sale" notice far outweigh the potential leverage it gives in a udrp complaint.

as i said before, if they want to entrap you - they will get you to give a price or use some other factor like looking for a a pattern of domains (generic or not) that match with trademarks - or find adult/offensive names and produce them (as was done with traditions.com).

I've received numerous c & d's on generic/descriptive domains over the years (i never understood the american attorneys love for sending things by fedex), and none have been taken further. I respond promptly to each citing relevant case history and illustrate clearly why I have rights in the domain. The covetous party has then either bought the name for a fair market price (well in excess of udrp costs) or has not engaged in further communication.

given my sales volumes are well into three digits, I would say from *experience* that the "for sale" helps. But if you are afraid of losing a domain at udrp, then don't do it - it's a simple choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators