Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

DNForum.net !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Originally posted by StockPilot
And that is it? Do you have a web site listing your domains? Do you honestly have people contacting you and making descent offers these days? I am glade someone is making money off domain names lately.

I don't have a site listing my domains as i don't target resellers and end users know the domain they want and go to it directly.

Yes, people are still buying domains for reasonable sums.

I am small fry compared to what some people are doing - the domain market is far from dead, its just maturing is all.

Domain Summit 2024

Capt. Flash

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I agree that trying to sell to resellers is a waste, and the only real money I ever made was when people came looking for me or attmpted to squeeze me. But this part of people buying domains for reasonable sums is what I just do not understand. How does one verify the statemets that people are still buying domain names for reasonable sums? Does your information come from an independent source? Do others devulge to you names sold and amounts received? How do you come about information on what others are doing? I am asking becuase I conducted a very extensive survey by statisicaly contacting a cross section of the top 500 corporations in each industry and also the top 200 Texas Corporations. I then did an equal proportion of small and medium businesses. The results were very compelling, in that their is absolutley zip for interest and none would pay more than 100. no matter what potential the name had. The only people claiming there are still resale sales going on our people on this forum. They have to be selling to someone, I am just wondering who. Obviously you must be making some money or you could not spend all your time on this site. I assume you must enjoy a comfortable standard of living? Who is buying your names?

I'm talking from personal experience and the information people I trust and have known for many years relay to me privately.

The main people buying my names seem to be medium sized businesses or small businesses keen to use the internet as leverage. I imagine most large corporates have their existing brand and domain sorted by now as the internet has been a known entity for a little while.

(when you say 100 do you mean $100 or $100k?)

NameBox

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by rapidtransit
Because trademark registrations are country-specific,

Yes ... and that's my point ... it was a rhetorical question. In many countries the concept of "common law trademark" does not exist.

Are you talking of usage after an application, or simply sticking TM on your name and "claiming" an interest in the mark. That is frankly ridiculous. Not allowable in the EU or Canada, for example, and would be a crafty way to claim rights while stealthily trying to sneak one over other holders, etc.

Further, trying to trademark or incorporate a domain name is not possible in the EU or Canada. You couldn't attempt Dnforum.com but could try Dnforum.

Stock, why are you questioning others interest in these forums, while spending an awful lot of time here yourself. You seem suspicious of others revenue generating activities (i.e. safesys), or is suspicion a way of trying to have others "reveal" what they are up to ...

No need to get testy. We're all just trying to share views here. Further, understand that the USA isn't the be all and end all with respect to trademark law. Perhaps the Germans acting in "bad faith" as you characterize them, had a long standing, pre-existing trademark in place in the EU?

I, for one, am interesting in issues pertaining to conflicting trademarks across jurisdictions and how disputes are resolved in those cases.

R

rapidtransit

Originally posted by NameBox
Are you talking of usage after an application, or simply sticking TM on your name and "claiming" an interest in the mark. That is frankly ridiculous. Not allowable in the EU or Canada, for example, and would be a crafty way to claim rights while stealthily trying to sneak one over other holders, etc.
No, I am talking about usage before registration, whether or not an application has been made.

in US practice common law trademarks are recognized. The trademarks Stock was talking about are all US filings for registration. In the US also, it is common to use a trademark in commerce first, then apply for registration. Only ITU registrations are applications before use, by definition.

If other countries have different requirements, fine. We can discuss those country by country, if there's any point. But the US is a rather large market, and a significant consideration for any potential registrant hoping to be do business internationally.

Capt. Flash

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

Stock, why are you questioning others interest in these forums, while spending an awful lot of time here yourself. You seem suspicious of others revenue generating activities (i.e. safesys), or is suspicion a way of trying to have others "reveal" what they are up to ...
I have made some money at this game, currently I am ahead and want to remain that way. This weekend I must make decisions on the remaining names that I hold and whether to invest the profits in a domain name/ internet venture. The past two months I have conducted an extensive scientific marketing study. Also, my aviation business provides a unique access to big names in computers, internet and general business, people you all know of or companies you know. I have discussed with them, current and future trends, the internet market segments they would consider investing in and domain name specific prospects. The results from both studies are identical but, completely different than what one derives from this forum. I am only trying to uncover facts here. My scientific statistical analysis approach may have flaws and the real info may be right here. That is why I have been here the last three days, to mingle and understand what goes on here and name sales. To understand and know who is truthful and who is BS, one must mingle. I have actually picked up some good info here.
Yes, I am very suspicious of others in this business, you can not trust public corporations like NSI or Register.com (specifically AfterNIC), let alone private individuals with no way of verification. When big name players like Schwartz and Zuccunri are letting many good names drop and the only people I can verify that are buying domain names are speculators, I just wonder. Names that I have let drop and are picked up after they drop are still for sale by speculators, some have even dropped a second time. Other good names that I have tracked that have dropped over the last two years are still for sale by speculators. I just don't see where the sales are or who is buying.

No need to get testy. We're all just trying to share views here. Further, understand that the USA isn't the be all and end all with respect to trademark law. Perhaps the Germans acting in "bad faith" as you characterize them, had a long standing, pre-existing trademark in place in the EU?

Not according to our research, the Germans made an offer to buy the domain for 5000.00 and I turned it down, I will never sell StockPilot.com, ever! (there a long story here). They filed a German trademark after I refused their offer. They attempted to use the name for a while but stopped after my attorney contacted them. Maybe I do not understand bad faith. Interestingly enough, the German's informed me I had not established significant or substantial use and had no US Trademark rights, at this point I turned the matter and 5k over to a law firm that will kick their butt. I however could of avoided the whole thing had I just spent 325.00 for a Trademark Application, I foolishly thought the money would be better spent on additional domain names since I had already acquired the domain name and incorporated with the State of Texas, go figure.
If anyone has any input as to resale sales that is more than opinion or conjecture, I would be interested in hearing it.
BTW, I do not have any reason not beleive what my man sys has to say, he seems ok.

Just looks like another classless attention grab for wanda, personally I can't imagine any traffic loss, how many people would type in the .net instead of the .com? 1 per year?

In my opinion its not overly important from a traffic point of view to bother with picking up other extensions, if anyone develops them the traffic spillover will be in the .com's favour, not the .net.

S

scjollie

Yep..It appears as if trademarks should be joined with domain names or vise versa when you purchase either one.
What is a web developer to do?
Build a site...get site taken away...How much is the cost involved with getting a trademark and how long does it take?...and are any left? Seems like it gong to be like everything else these days...
The biggest take over and the small guys get stomped...except for a very small percentage that come up with that one in a million niche.

Oh well, we're going to hang in there and see where it takes us.!

NameBox

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
This could all have been a rhetorical thread if (irony of ironies) Dan is about to sell DNFORUM.COM for 5K plus.

TELL ME YOUR NOT SELLING IT TO WANDA OR HER CRONIES DAN! :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom