Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Dont you think it is ridiculous to have Adsense on your domain portfolio site?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Talbot

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I mean really, think about it.

It is one thing to monetize your parked pages, but to blatenly monetise a website designed exclusively to promote your domain sales pages?

Doesnt this seem kinda cheezy to make 2 cents off someone you are trying to woo into buying a domain?

Dont you want to look a little bit professional?

Last edited:

electronic

Level 3
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The majority of people who type a domain into the address bar are not wanting to buy the domain, but are looking for a specific product, service, company, organization, or person. Monetizing the domain in a modest and tasteful manner may not be viewed as unprofessional, while additionally and primarily offering the domain for sale on the site.

Last edited:

electronic

Level 3
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Please accept my apologies for the misunderstanding.

I interpreted the intention as singular when Mark mentioned "... you are trying to woo into buying a domain?"

Sorry.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Can be worse than that. There are companies that put adsense on their site......leading right to the competition.
Exactly... just bad taste and makes you look like a beggar desperate to cash in from whatever visits you get :)

I understand that online newspapers use adsense when the articles are free, but it always makes you feel uneasy to see adsense for funerals next to the headlines for tragedies.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i believe this topic was brought up recently by someone else, but...

i've been using adsense on my portfolio site ever since adsense program started

and i put it on every mini-site i develop

who cares what "other" domainers think about your site, unless you "ask" them for advice or to critique it?

what's important is when someone contacts you about a domain you have listed for sale.

do you really think because one has adsense on the site, that they will loose interest in the domain?

the website and domain are only tied together by the location which the visitor see's it, in that instance.

never once, has an inquiry that originated from my site ever mentioned adsense ads. they were only concerned with whether the domain was still available for sale.

and the few dollars i make from adsense pays the renewal fee's for that domain name and host-ing of that site.

so, no...i don't think it's ridiculous to monetize your portfolio website.

imo...

Last edited:

silentg

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Affiliate ads are better than AdSense. You got no control over what ads are shown in AdSense.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It is ridiculous biggie, in the same way it would be if you put adsense on an e-commerce site.

ytd stats for my portfolio site

Pageviews Clicks PageCTR CPC PageRPM Estimatedearnings
3,963 54 1.36% $0.78 $10.69 $42.35

with an average CPC of $0.78, is it so ridiculous to use adsense to earn $42.35 and use that for renewals, or other regs?

sure, it may only be $7 a month, but that's more than many domainers earn per month on a single name with ppc.

not in this biz to do what the crowd thinks, im in it to get p-a-i-d

:)

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
you would only need one lost domain sale for it to be a mistake.

lol

folks loose potential sales every day

and most likely none have to do with their portfolio site.

besides, the majority of my sales come via email (whois search), s e d o or incoming phone calls.

so it's all gravy :)

dcristo

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have to disagree with you. Encouraging folks to leave your site for a few dollars every month is a cardinal sin from a marketing and conversion standpoint.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have to disagree with you. Encouraging folks to leave your site for a few dollars every month is a cardinal sin from a marketing and conversion standpoint.

this time, we'll agree to disagree

:)

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Personally I would take a domain portfolio site with adsense less seriously than professional looking sites like Buydomains or Hugedomains, for example.
Yes, it's the domain that matters but I would take that as an invitation to lowball you lol.

CorrectName.Com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If someone is looking at an ad on my site, then hopefully I want them to, or I've already lost the readers interest. I'm glad to put adsense on a portfolio page as I haven't seen products or ads that seemed that strong, especially considering what they pay.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Personally I would take a domain portfolio site with adsense less seriously than professional looking sites like Buydomains or Hugedomains, for example.
Yes, it's the domain that matters but I would take that as an invitation to lowball you lol.

i am not on the level of a BD, and not even trying to be ... even though many of the names i've dropped end up there :)

but when it comes to lowball offers, you'll get those regardless to whether one ever visits your site or not

and we all know that's true

still, you bring up a point which shows how some think

when you see a site like BD, and you feel it's professional looking.....does that mean the domain is now worth more because it's listed there, than when listed on my website?

if yes, doesn't that sound ridiculous?

:rolleyes:

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
when you see a site like BD, and you feel it's professional looking.....does that mean the domain is now worth more because it's listed there, than when listed on my website?

if yes, doesn't that sound ridiculous?
It's not just the website, it is about the image you present of yourself and your business operations (do you look cheap or do you mean business).
In the case of DNS BD HD etc you are dealing with established corporations, it's a bit more intimidating than a small guy with a one-page site and a gmail address as point of contact.
I would guess a potential buyer is more likely to lowball or even play strong arm tactics against the small guy but it's just my perception.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom