Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Dot Street (before you laugh, take a look)

Status
Not open for further replies.

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by hhunterjr

The only way that I can see that it will work is if you buy it, develop the site and market it.

Damn. I knew there was a catch!! Lol

Don't most sites have to be developed and marketed right to "make it"??

btw: .st=st

I find it funny that domainers think that a registar "shouldn't" market a domain a certain way. I've got news for everyone. Unless you have a very good .com name, you have a lot of marketing to do. Why not use what you have? To do otherwise goes against any business practice I've ever seen.

"What's your edge?" ---by izopod

.com=Type-in value of certain names; global name recognition.

.net=Used to be the "Alter ego" Anti-com site. Still is but .org is taking over

.org=Anti-com, grass root, medical, established, respected. I'm really looking for this name to get even more "established" at the right seat of .com

.biz=Very good with some names, and very bad with others.

.info= Again, very good with some names, and not good at all with others especially "business" names.

.us= Can mean US (as in you and I)--also US as a brand is well known. Not sure if that gives it an edge in all honesty because we still have ".com on the brain". That is changing though. Interesting to see how all this changes.

.ws= Can mean website, web services, etc---Yes it can MEAN that if you market it that way.

.st= A sleeper domain IMHO. Since we consider the internet the information highway, it's not a big stretch of the imagination to make the connection that the internet could be separated out by "streets". You'd be a complete moron not to market this domain this way if you were the registrar. Another edge with this space is there still is some damn good ones left. I didn't buy a lot because I've learned that you must now USE what you buy. Something domainers aren't doing.

.tv=Good for good fitting ".tv" names. (i.e www.abc.tv)

Ed30

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
.com, .net, .org - lots of credibility.
.info, .biz, .us - credibility to a certain extent - they are becoming more popular - watch this space.
.st, .cc, .ws, - no credibility - looks like you couldn't be bothered finding a decent domain for your site so you opted for a garbage extension that no-one else wanted - THAT is the problem with developing these obscure extensions. You can market them all you like but they will always look lame and unprofessional.

NameTower

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Darren06
Yes I am going to earn commission from the commission junction affilaite program for it. :)

with all the traffic it gets ;)

darrenl

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
hopefully they will set that thing up soon

M

mole

Originally posted by izopod
.biz=Very good with some names, and very bad with others.

.info= Again, very good with some names, and not good at all with others especially "business" names.[/url])

Can't agree more, pod.

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Dnstudio.com

looks like you couldn't be bothered finding a decent domain for your site so you opted for a garbage extension that no-one else wanted - THAT is the problem with developing these obscure extensions. You can market them all you like but they will always look lame and unprofessional.

I'd rather spend the money to market www.wireless.st & www.digital.st as opposed to some of the names I've seen on your site. That isn't meant to be a hurtful comment either. Just the facts as I see them.

Best of luck!

btw, if you have time, feel free to visit www.intel.st (Intel is the Microsoft of pentium chips)

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Dnstudio.com

.info, .biz, .us - credibility to a certain extent - they are becoming popular - watch this space

So if someone actually listened to you when these names first came out, and not bothered to register a few... I guess they would be sh%t out of luck!!

Take this advice. Don't try so hard to understand things to which you will never see...

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I need someone to Register one of these for me.. I'll pay an extra $10.. $35 + 10 = $45 Paypal..

sometime tommorrow is fine..

just PM me if you can..

Thanks ..
BID

M

mole

Don't try so hard to understand things to which you will never see...

It's not too difficult to understand and very easy to see where .info and .biz and .us are headed, pod. The developers are progressively moving in to carve reclaimed land from the sea into metropoles of activity.

Just do a search on google

site:.info info

site:.biz biz

It has been slow, as studio rightfully pointed out, but things are just building and building on new namespace.

Ed30

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

So if someone actually listened to you when these names first came out, and not bothered to register a few... I guess they would be sh%t out of luck!!

Take this advice. Don't try so hard to understand things to which you will never see...

I don't recall slagging off .info, .biz, or.us. I also do not recall saying that I haven't registered any.

As to the names on my site, I am quite happy with them thank you. I will be sticking to my impossible to market coms, nets and orgs. If I am blind to the merits of the .st extension then so be it, I will bow to your foresight and acumen when it becomes popular and mainstream.

M

mole

If there is any consolation for the registry, they did make it clear upfront that .st meant São Tomé and Principe. The .ws registry never did, unless in the smallest fine-print in their T&Cs that nobody reads.

As they say, fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

.LA (Laos) is another great example of exploitation of the poverty of third world countries by greedy entreprenuers who squeeze the unfortunate fact that a sucker is born every second.

ICANN has nonetheless categorically stated they WILL be introducing new gTLDs (in addition to the sTLDs like .travel) toward the end of 2004.

This should seal the faith of all those pseudo wannabe cctlds like .bz once and for all.

For all you newbies to this forum - the learnings here are very clear and simple - if you want to market to the population of Pacific islands, go ahead and get a .cc and .tv whatever. That's all it means, because the branding value is ziltch with VCs who are now forced to see through con jobs like a laser on ice post the dotcom crash.

If you want to play/manipulate/fool the search bots from Google with "keywords", don't even think about about using your domain to do it. Algorithms change all the time, and so it should. Some of the best generic names have the most horrible PPC and half baked content waiting to trap the internet user into yet another useless experience. The game has been figured out.

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
DNMole I enjoy your post , but you couldnt be more wrong .

Search engines DO take Keyword domains into account in their algorithms. (as they well should) And has nothing to do with "manipulation and google well understands this because the domain alone wont do squat for you..because the domain is only ONE variable the algos take into consideration; but yes Keyword Domain IS one of those variable. If you need help finding this information please do a google or PM me

As far as the smaller ccTLDS ..nobody is being "fooled" everyone knows they are small country ccTLDS regardless of what they are advertised as....

And if you are relying on ICANNs release of new extensions as somehow golden.. then you will once agained be fooled.

Originally posted by DNMole
If there is any consolation for the registry, they did make it clear upfront that .st meant São Tomé and Principe. The .ws registry never did, unless in the smallest fine-print in their T&Cs that nobody reads.

As they say, fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

.LA (Laos) is another great example of exploitation of the poverty of third world countries by greedy entreprenuers who squeeze the unfortunate fact that a sucker is born every second.

ICANN has nonetheless categorically stated they WILL be introducing new gTLDs (in addition to the sTLDs like .travel) toward the end of 2004.

This should seal the faith of all those pseudo wannabe cctlds like .bz once and for all.

For all you newbies to this forum - the learnings here are very clear and simple - if you want to market to the population of Pacific islands, go ahead and get a .cc and .tv whatever. That's all it means, because the branding value is ziltch with VCs who are now forced to see through con jobs like a laser on ice post the dotcom crash.

If you want to play/manipulate/fool the search bots from Google with "keywords", don't even think about about using your domain to do it. Algorithms change all the time, and so it should. Some of the best generic names have the most horrible PPC and half baked content waiting to trap the internet user into yet another useless experience. The game has been figured out.

M

mole

Originally posted by bidawinner
but you couldnt be more wrong .

lol, I knew you were going to say that, bid. I wonder what pod will have to add when he wakes up Saturday morning :evil:

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

lol, I knew you were going to say that, bid. I wonder what pod will have to add when he wakes up Saturday morning :evil:

As the french love to say, "Touche", which means "To each is own". :-D

I personally think we are all in for some surprises when it comes to the internet. If you think you have it "down pat" then it's time to get out of the office because this equipment didn't come with a "manual" persay. Any company, or person could easily develop technologies that would make our "arguments" on which TLD ending is better seem pretty shortsighted.

Therefore, as I see it. You have to make your own way in this journey. You cannot afford to ride on the "coattails" of current beliefs because they have the ability to change on a dime. In otherwords it pays to have a very "fluid" belief system when it comes to the internet. Does this mean that I think .bz or .cc could be a top tier ending someday? No. I personally haven't seen any value in these endings (no marketability), but I would be ready to pounce on any change in that direction. My attitude is not "stuck in the ground", but rather open to ideas.

Here is where "I" think the internet is going:

1. Mobile---I will be able to carry around a "remote control" if you will and "punch" up in the internet on several different devices down the road. Speaking of the road "the car "is about to undergo major changes in the next few years to handle the "mobile internet".

2. Unfortunately we will have many new TLDs in the future. Because of the sheer number, advertiser's and businesses will be forced to create technologies that allow people to access their sites without having to enter a URL in the browser window. URLs themselves won't go away, but the "uniqueness" of them will. Some have suggested that dot com's will become more popular with more TLDs, but I'd say they are wrong because there will be enough of the new TLDs that become "name-brands" that will call into question, of whether the site is a ".com, .biz, .info or .ST" . The technology to which I describe above will make this argument moot.

3. Voice---"Get me tickets to the Boston Sympony Orchestra for January 1, 2006"---Use my DataCard---On my authorization 4-6-9-A-J (get the picture??)

4. Community----Communities like DNF will morph into a more highly evolved platform then what we have now. We will "share" our experiences, and environment. We do this now through text, but be on the look out for getting a little more up front, and personal.

M

mole

Been reading Cnet again, pod :)

From News.com's email today

Passing the big thinker's baton

I'd rather pass the time clipping my toenails, but once in a while it's instructive to watch Comdex keynotes from start to finish to get a sense of where things may--or may not--be heading in the greater world of techdom.

Each of the speeches this year offered a few nuggets, but most of the keynoters used the occasion to tout their company products and services. Maybe that's a function of "vision fatigue" in a post-Y2K, post-dot-com, post-9-11 world. Or maybe we've had it with big overarching ideas about how the things are going to look the day after tomorrow.

But what a boring fate to contemplate! What would the technology industry be if not for the big thinkers? Without a company or individual to define the future and point the way for the rest to follow, what's left but drift? We may be advancing by inches, but that's hardly the stuff of dreams.

So while biding our time waiting the arrival of another J.C.R. Licklider or Vannevar Bush or Michael Dertouzos, I got to wondering who should inherit the mantle of current thought leader for the technology business.

If someone had raised the question in the 1970s, the answer clearly would have been IBM, a company whose name was then synonymous with high-technology. By the 1980s--and into the mid-1990s--the crown went to Microsoft.

The leadership became less clear by the middle of the decade when a host of no-name start-ups led by Netscape--along with Sun Microsystems and the Java crowd--came of age. But that didn't last very long. Turns out that computing history did not end with the advent of dot-communism and that there was still a lot of work remaining before truly seamless or (ugh) interoperability computing would be a reality.

Fast-forward to fall 2003, and I can't see an obvious leader. Still, things are starting to become a lot more interesting on the software side, where the cool work is happening around the subject of Web services and XML-based integration. The unfortunate by-product of all that is the hyperbolic fluff surrounding the sundry visions of utility computing offered up by the big vendors. But that's grist for another day's column.

Charlie Cooper, Executive Editor/Commentary

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Been reading Cnet again, pod :)

Actually not Mole, I think he's been reading my new book "Izopod was here!".

How aprapos, that I end my time here at DNF by replying to your your message my good friend.

I was wondering how I would do this in a way that respected the community for which I owe a debt of gratitude. I've been thinking for some time now about leaving the community "full time". I must "get out of the office" sotospeak. I don't leave here because DNF "is boring" or anyone person, I've truly enjoyed the debates and this place. DNF has a great future ahead of her.

I'm leaving to work on my "izopodian theories". Time to put words into action.

Anyways, I thank you mole for introducing me to DNF. I would also like to extend a special thanks to all the other full timers. It's been great. Thanks, Duke, Bidwinner, Bob, Zouzas, Realnames (Dave), tassos, GiantDomains, URL T (robbie), DomainOrge, Think, George K, Edwin, DCG, Abusiveelusive, Beshupola, UnlceWilco, Beatz, izoot, Ed30, Mr Webname, TimeChange (I didn't mind him the 2nd time around), StocDoctor, GregR, DotComCowboy, NameTower, Icehole, Spider, Whois-Search, Daren06, DavidH, et all. Another special thanks to my Aussie friends. You are a some of the finest people I've met on this board.

Now if you're wondering whether I'll be back, I cannot say for sure. I would come back to let you know how everything turned out, would be a good reason. Because DNF is like a drug, I've taken extrodinary step to rig it so that I would have to request my password to get back in. DNF is that tempting!!--lol (i.e if you are scratching your head, I'll explain. I typed a few random keys, cut/pasted without looking. then summarily changed my password--I don't know what it is...)

Good luck and thanks for the memories.

P.S I specifically wrote my goodbye this way so that there wasn't' any hoopla, or be seen as another "Good bye post", only to return later thread like the junkies we all are--lol. This is it, so don't bother posting a "Good Luck" post---I won't see it!!

Oh, and I would be remiss, If I don't leave you with one last piece of Izopodian philosophy:

Never forget what it was like the first time you uploaded your first web site up to the internet.

zouzas

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
best wishes,i hate to see you go izopod one of the best debaters here at DNF stay in touch [email protected]

i hope to buy a book someday of "izopodian philosophy"

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Good luck Izopod! stay in touch :)

WebCat

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Izopod, whether you see this or not..... you will be missed!

WebCat

NameTower

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
best of luck in your future endeavors.

Hope to see you back here soon.

Ever need a favor drop feel free to email me at [email protected]

All the Best!
- Jordan

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom