Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

DrWho: Account Terminated

Status
Not open for further replies.

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think Dr.Who's appraisals were correct in most of the time.

Second, so now DNF police is sniffing in PM's and banning members for what they write in their PM's ?!

I mean apparently its NOT like he approached members here to become part of a terrorist organisation or anything - and to say the only reason for him to come here was to promote his forum is blatant arrogant.

And even if - is it a new rule members are only allowe to visit this forum ONLY but no other?!

You guys are CRAZY !!!

Man...:rolleyes:

Banning Dr.Who is so ****ed up.

Something SERIOUS is going wrong here.

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
FOR THE RECORD:

To all of you whom are asking if you are next:

Contrary to popular belief, the administation of dnfoum does not have their finger on the ban button. We, as mods and admin discuss every situation, and do everyting we can to try to rectify the situation before an action is taken. Banning (account suspension) is the LAST RESORT. There's a lot that goes on behind the scenes that you don't see.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Needed to say that.

timechange.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Was DrWho warned and ignored your warning? I understand the sensitivities of some but it's a bit extreme to terminate an account with not a single warning. I think that's a deterrent to new memberships, not to actions of this kind.

Nexus

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by beatz
I mean apparently its NOT like he approached members here to become part of a terrorist organisation or anything - and to say the only reason for him to come here was to promote his forum is blatant arrogant. And even if - is it a new rule members are only allowe to visit this forum ONLY but no other?!
Well, I'm going to play devil's advocate: (as I'm disagreeing with characterizations of Dr.Who as the wrong kind of element, though not really clear on the banning issue) I do have to note the "spamming" people through PM's is not cool, though I'm not sure that's what Dr.Who did in writing a specific invitation to certain members (I'm not sure how many). In inviting "Bob", I'd imagine that it wasn't intended to be a "mistake" so much as it might have been naive to think it wouldn't mushroom into something more meaningful than intended.

DNF COMMANDMENT #6 & #7:
6. Spammers will receive a swift kick in the ass, as well as a lengthy ban.
7. Members will not be allowed to promote their own website/business outside of the Advertising forums, members will be warned and could also lose their forum membership if "spamming" on the forums where it is not allowed. Members are only allowed to create one thread/day in the Advertising forums. Each forum will be monitored for content. Any content that violates DNForum's policies of acceptable use may be removed.

Dunno, maybe this line should be made a font-size bigger, and in big bold letters so that people don't have to ask... "Wait, is that what I did?" There's a thin line between recommending to friends, and spamming people you don't know. Truth be told though (to be fair), promotional activities do belong in the ADVERTISING forums...

~ Nexus

Matt Wade

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
DNF COMMANDMENT #6:
6. Spammers will receive a swift kick in the ass, as well as a lengthy ban.

That, of course, is a whole other can of worms. According to that rule it is not good to spam. That rule, obviously, only applies to this forum. I find it very funny how there is still spamming software listed on the software page here. I guess it is OK to spam other places besides this forum.

Nexus

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Matt Wade
That, of course, is a whole other can of worms. According to that rule it is not good to spam. That rule, obviously, only applies to this forum. I find it very funny how there is still spamming software listed on the software page here. I guess it is OK to spam other places besides this forum.
Considering people PAY to advertise on the forum, the answer to the likely rhetorical question is probably "yes". Which reminds me, I need to get around to my MA Do-Not-Call list sometime soon...

~ Nexus

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by izopod Dr.Who had over 4000 posts. 99% of those were the comments:$0.00 or Reg fee. I think it became a "joke" and thus elevated him to some "tough" appraisal expert status.. Reality is he made a joke out of the appraisal system on the backs of some very good domainers. As far as his recruitment efforts. How does this help our community? [/B]

You may not have noticed this but over the past few weeks DrWho did a complete turnaround, going from $0.00 appraisals to lots of value appraisals, many of them very resonable and even generous.

He also started some longer posts with details, rather than saying next to nothing as in the past. I sent him a PM a few days ago asking why he is suddenly doing higher appraisals and also criticized a recent appraisal I thought he pegged far too high.

Getting back to his banning, Sorry, I am not at all convinced it is a rule violation or a good reason to ban because of mail sent to other members suggesting they visit a new forum.

NameTower

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by lotsofissues
Jordan,

Being blunt, he was accurate.
cehck insults.us
he sed 0$
i got other ones at $300+
he then changed his appraisal
i dont post appraisals to get 0$ when its worth well over $100+ to any user.

URLtrader

Domain Champ
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What did he do ?????????????????????????????????

Nexus

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by NameTower

cehck insults.us
he sed 0$
An appraisal is just that, an appraisal. If you disagree with all of his appraisals, send him a PM not to appraise any of your names. I think insults.us is $0 too. I have "Creators.us", "Confess.us", and a few others I question regarding value (I'm sure a few folks have $0 appraisals on them), though I'm not scrambling to sell them either. "Insults.us" does not pertain to any merchandiseable industry, so you have to ask yourself... why would someone rate it very highly anyway (developed maybe)? This is all opinion, so it is what it is. I run an art website, and I have to deal with "timidity" in "critiques" all the time. Especially when I was in college majoring in illustration, often times you learn the most from your worst critics (not the ones that nod and say "good stuff"). If you wanted more info about rationale, you may want to PM him and ask him about the appraisal instead of stewing. After a while, $0 reads to me as the more verbose and presumeably PC, "Sorry, I don't see much value in it."

~ Nexus

Matt Wade

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by NameTower

cehck insults.us
he sed 0$

It is clear that he was joking in the insults.us thread.

All this nonsense about what he appraised names at is besides the point anyway. This is about a banning that took place because he private messaged some people. Note the word I just used - PRIVATE!

To quote GiantDomains:

He was only coming to dnforum to promote another forum. He tried to keep this secret by using the PM feature.

He was ONLY coming to this forum to promote another forum? He tried to keep this secret? I certainly do not agree with those statements. I believe that he did contribute to this forum. You can say anything you want about the quality of his appraisals, but he certainly kept activity on the forum. Can you say 18.70 posts per day?

As for the matter of trying to keep it a secret. No, I believe he was trying to keep within the forum rules. It is plain and obvious that it would be wrong to openly invite members of this forum to another forum, that deals with the same topic, in the public sections on this site. But, by inviting select people through PM's, I feel he did nothing wrong.

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Matt Wade

I feel he did nothing wrong.

One piece of advice. If you only know half the story, don't assume you know the whole story.

One last thing. Does everyone realize I've been warned? Probably not. If my account is terminated, you won't hear me bitching, as I will only have myself to blame.

Let's get back to business.

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think its just unbelieveable that mods or whoever wade and sniff through PM's - as Matt already mentioned .. have you noticed the word *PRIVATE* ?!

Remnant

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
"Greetings Bob,

The honor of your presence is requested. Please stop by and say
hello to RJ, CoolHost, NameCaster, Larry and the rest of the gang!

DrWho"

You got to be kidding me. I may be new to DNForum, but I respected and valued DrWho's appraisals as well as the moderators of DNForum. But, being banned for something as measley as this, thats messed up. Its not like he told Bob and the others to quit DNforum, and help start another DN site, all he mentions is to say hello to the other banned users of DNF.

What's wrong with that, especially in a private message? It's not like he spammed the whole board. I heard about DNForum.com from Domainstate.com and became members of both sites, as well as others. I visit multiple DN sites daily, but still spend most of my time at DNForum. Theres plenty of love to go around, especially the exposure you guys get from the other sites.

Was banning really necessary? Losing DrWho has got to hurt, he's an established member whom several people look up to, as well as a paying subscriber. That's just sad..

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by beatz
I think its just unbelieveable that mods or whoever wade and sniff through PM's - as Matt already mentioned .. have you noticed the word *PRIVATE* ?!

:weird: Beatz, nobody is going to believe your conspiracy theory ... this is the second time you posted it, give it up.

Nexus

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'll just say this. I question with the decision to ban Dr.Who from what I've heard, though I don't have enough information to know the extent of his PM's, or activities to form a solid opinion one way or another.

I disagree with some of the characterizations I've heard of his posts as well from moderators and some members.

More than that, I wish there was more disclosure about some of these things, but on a level I can understand why there isn't. This is a big mess, and I don't think these bannings (however much they are done in aggreement between the forum mods and owners), will serve the community well in the longrun. There is an uncomfortable spiralling feeling that seems in motion. I'm hoping things can stay on track in the face of it all.

Spirals are dangerous trends of magnetic misery that love having company.

~ Nexus

Matt Wade

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by izopod

One piece of advice. If you only know half the story, don't assume you know the whole story.

Do I know the whole story? I don't know. I can only go on what we have been told. The official word (from a moderator, so I assume it is official) is that he was banned for sending PM's to other users inviting them to another forum.

They know for a fact he sent one, because it was sent to a moderator and reported. The others were believed to be sent because they saw postings on another site. This is the story I know.

From this story I do not feel there was a valid reason to ban him. If there is more to the story and there is a valild reason, it should be made known. Until that that time I will go with the official reason I have been given and continue to feel that this banning was unjustified.

Matt Wade

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by GiantDomains

:weird: Beatz, nobody is going to believe your conspiracy theory ... this is the second time you posted it, give it up.

I agree. Let's stick to the facts. It has never been said they looked at PM's, besides the one that was reported by the recipient.

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
How long does this 'suspension' last?

Or does suspension just mean 'we deleted his sorry ass until pigs fly'

C'mon guys, lighten up a bit, bring Cool Host back, ang give DrWho one week suspension and then bring him back as well, if the guys do the same thing again, then you can boot 'em

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

No members online now.

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom