Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

How did people register early domain names? Found one from 1989 in WHO IS

Status
Not open for further replies.

ResearchGuy

Level 1
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I did a little research the other day and fund out the first domain name was registered in the mid-80s. Something like 1986? Anyone have information on that or a site to check out the history? I just found one on WHO IS that was dated to 1989. I wasn't interested in it, but I just checked it out to see if it was registered in case my friend wanted it. Any info would be helpful. Very interesting how all of this started.

ResearchGuy

Level 1
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I found some great info on the oldest .com ever, symbolics. Very interesting information on that site!

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

zmonster

Level 2
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I find the early names fascinating too. Of course for big companies, names were reserved for them. I don't know how early it was that individuals could get names, but an artist I know said he was with a university those days and registered some domains around 1990-1993 -- but later let them expire.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I believe it was a closely guarded secret at the time. From what I recall Network Solutions (or a related company) handled early registrations when I reg'd my first name about 1995-1996 or so however I finally learned how to do it myself a few years later. The middle-man I used would not reveal the process or primary providers (and registry) name (since the middleman was making $250 a name for a few minutes one-time work) and searches could not be done then so you were left in the dark. Instead they charged a service fee of $250 to register a name plus the registry fee which I think was $100 or so with free credit and US mail billing for the $100 reg fee but the $250 had to be paid in advance to the middle-man. Just before that time the domains were actually FREE. Soon after that time they declined to $35 or $50 with free credit paper billing, based on what I remember done through Net Sol or a related firm. The 80s to mid-90s process was real obscure and far from well known or publicized until the late 1990's.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
First registrations were via a manual process and restricted to "one per person."

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
At some point I believe you had to send a fax.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Fax was the primary tech gadget of the 80's :D

Maxwell

Formerly known as grcorp.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I did a little research the other day and fund out the first domain name was registered in the mid-80s. Something like 1986? Anyone have information on that or a site to check out the history? I just found one on WHO IS that was dated to 1989. I wasn't interested in it, but I just checked it out to see if it was registered in case my friend wanted it. Any info would be helpful. Very interesting how all of this started.

To answer your question about the first domain name... March 15th, 1985 - symbolics.com, for Symbolics Computer Corporation of Massachusetts.

http://www.whoisd.com/oldestcom.php

The name is currently owned by XF.com Investments.

Chances are, if a domain that was registered in 1989 is still registered today, it will cost you a pretty penny to acquire.

To give you an idea as to how "in advance" a 1989 registration is, microsoft.com was registered in 1991.

Most of the big-time companies registered their .com's around 1994 or 1995.

My advice to you is to search for another domain if the one you were after was an '89 registration.

varlov

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
To answer your question about the first domain name... March 15th, 1985 - symbolics.com, for Symbolics Computer Corporation of Massachusetts.

I believe this is the first .com
According the whois the first domain name is Nordu.net 01-01-1985

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Correct. It was the first domain to be registered by a party other than the registry; nordu.net was reserved as such.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom