Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

I know the next million dollar domain name

Status
Not open for further replies.
Z

ZoomZoom

I know the next million dollar domain name and its yours.

ICANN is proposing to allow teired pricing structures for domains in the new .biz, .org, and .info domains. This could creep into the .com agreement too if its allowed.

That means that when you go to renew your name the company will be allowed to charge you what ever they want for it. So google.com how much to renew that a billion I guess ? Or dnforum.com may be $200,000 ? How about your popular website ?

The announcement is here:
http://www.icann.org/announcements/announcement-2-28jul06.htm

To comment on the agreements send emails here:
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

bullocks

Domain Days 2024

droplister

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
i read it over a bit but can you point out where it says this. I read an incremental increase in pricing over 6 years

picassoface

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So the best bet i suppose is to reg your BEST names for 10 years to be on the safe side....

jdk

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I know the next million dollar domain name and its yours.

ICANN is proposing to allow teired pricing structures for domains in the new .biz, .org, and .info domains. This could creep into the .com agreement too if its allowed.

That means that when you go to renew your name the company will be allowed to charge you what ever they want for it. So google.com how much to renew that a billion I guess ? Or dnforum.com may be $200,000 ? How about your popular website ?

The announcement is here:
http://www.icann.org/announcements/announcement-2-28jul06.htm

To comment on the agreements send emails here:
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

bullocks

If you notice the tiered pricing is not for .com or .net (I don't believe)

droplister

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Isnt that sorta bad faith on their part? How do they decide how much to charge. Are they going to charge microsoft.com more becuase its their trade mark? Isnt that bad faith? Messed up.

Rarethings

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Just when you thought ICANN couldn't get any more corrupt.

Andrew Shaw

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I sometimes wonder what piece of straw is going to break the camels back.

WeBuyThe.Com

WE BUY DOMAINS
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Why not just do a 100 Yr renewal on your best name(s) now? I know Network Solutions allows it...

Andrew Shaw

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's not going to happen... Wouldnt such an act be against the law? Sort of discrimitory?

droplister

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If it becomes final for what ever reason, the first lawsuit from say google or msn or yahoo or myspace etc, would have them reconsidering it

britishbulldog

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
sounds like www.tv stunt they already do it with some domains costing millions per year so its nothing new !

PRED

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If it becomes final for what ever reason, the first lawsuit from say google or msn or yahoo or myspace etc, would have them reconsidering it

Hi,
I'd like to think you are spot on with this. LONG AS YOU HAD PLENTY OF REG. LEFT, THEY COULDN'T DO IT. iT'S A BIT LIKE IF SOMEONE HAS PAID UP THEIR RENT & THEN YOU BOOT THEM OUT, COS THAT'S WHAT WE'RE EFFECTIVELY DOING, RENTING. tHAT'S THE PROB. (sorry caps lock!)
Not sure the safest path, prob to have a good few years reg. on your bestest domains. If you have really good ones & plan on selling, for just a few quid extra, nice to hand them over to new owner with a good few years on anyway. cheers, Guy
nb: hopefully the big boys wil get wind & give icann a slap, as thet's what they need! :whoo:

jazzpetals

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The difference between .tv and the other extensions is that with .tv you knew what the renewal fees were going to be PRIOR to registering. When you pay $6.99 to register a domain name, then get an invoice for $$$$$ when it comes time for renewal, it is sort of like purchasing a house with adjustable rate mortgage, even then, you knew what you were getting into from the beginning.

Onward

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This is just criminal. but nothing would suprise me. I still can't believe snapnames can sell expired names from netsol that never belonged to them.

scizza

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Price increases should not suprise anybody. Think about it, cost of living goes up every year. What makes it any different for these companies to charge more for domains? They have every right to increase prices.

lyndonmaxewell

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
well.. what can you do about it if so? price increase is unavoidable in society today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom