Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

I know the next million dollar domain name

Status
Not open for further replies.

droplister

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Price increases should not suprise anybody. Think about it, cost of living goes up every year. What makes it any different for these companies to charge more for domains? They have every right to increase prices.
this isnt just a price increase though, its not like gas going up a few cents. Its going up to any amount on whatever domain they see fit. 6.99 becomes $6,990. Thats not a price increase, thats a price-i dont know that to call it.

Domain Days 2024

SouthernTn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think if they increase it, they'll slowly do it. Knocking a 6.99 up to 6,990 would be too risky, but knocking the 6.99 up to 12.99 and then 12.99 up to 24.99 and then the 24.99 up to 48.99 , you get the point

lyndonmaxewell

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
To think that few yrs ago, to reg/renew a name was like 50, then down to 20 and under 10 bucks as well.

whydna

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think the price increase is a good thing and I support it fully.

As a web entrepreneur (and not a domainer), there will be more available domains to develop and register for projects that will actually put the domains to use.

So if the price is not 7$/year to renew, hopefully people won't be holding 500 random names hoping to get an email in the next 10 years and reply with a rediculously inflated price.

BidNo

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
This is ridiculous. Registrar costs are going down, not up. And these are monopolies, not competitive markets.

Hell, GoDaddy has already offered to manage the entire com space for under $5 per domain and computers just keep getting cheaper, so why are we talking about price increases???. And don't we all know what would happen if our electric rates weren't capped by government.

And Whydna, what makes you think you won't be asked for $50,000 the next time you want to develop a name. Or even worse, you develop a domain, develop a loyal fan base and then your registration fee jumps to $50,000/yr.

Something is wrong at ICANN. They are doing this in the dark of night and will only accept public comments until 5:00pm PDT on Monday. MAKE YOUR VOICE HEARD NOW!!! or accept whatever crumbs are left on the table without whining.

Email your comments to these three addresses - [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected] - and then click the link in each of the three verification emails you will receive.

mistermouse63

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think that ICANN won't be able to get its hands on ccTLDs. So even if domaining will not be possible in the same way it was with org, info and biz or even com eventually, ccTLDs will remain. This might actually give a great chance for ccTLD markets to develop.

britishbulldog

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

As a web entrepreneur (and not a domainer), there will be more available domains to develop and register for projects that will actually put the domains to use.

So if the price is not 7$/year to renew, hopefully people won't be holding 500 random names hoping to get an email in the next 10 years and reply with a rediculously inflated price.

Here here !

DomeBase

Old Timer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

yes... but...

http://forum.icann.org/lists/info-tld-agreement/msg00066.html

Who should benefit from your development effort?

How will you feel when you put work into developing your site, you earn an additional $20,000, and then when it comes time to renew your domain, the cost goes up $19,500 because it has become more valuable? Next year you raise revenue by $45,000 and your renewal fee goes up to $44,000. Isn't "market pricing" fun? I think I saw a movie about this once... was it GodFather II or III? I forget which.

Poker

Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
...I think I saw a movie about this once... was it GodFather II or III? I forget which.

I, II and III....in fact, pick any mafia movie :) The only difference here is that ICANN may get away with LEGAL extortion simply by using thier monopoly to make it legal...

cursal

MomsDigest.com For Sale!
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I agree with SouthernTN. The pricing should (hope) be in small yearly increases, if/when it happens.

Also, before you run out and renew names for 10yrs-100yrs, ICANN says:
However, in order to protect incumbent domain name registrants and allow time for planning by those in the registry and registrar communities, the form of registry-registrar agreement proposed with each of the new registry agreements requires six months advance notice by the registry operator of any price increase in registry services.

So you will have plenty of advanced warning to renew those names you want to keep.

I will prepare a statement and send it in before Monday.
I hope you all do too :)

britishbulldog

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yep i agree with increases but not ridiculous ones maybe upto $50 a year and it may kill off some speculators and let the domain market grow with more endusers especially the new tlds !

Bill Roy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The day of the ccTLD's is coming ever closer, ICANN are acting like a bunch of lemmings and committing suicide. No longer is it a case of ccTLD's may be worth more in 5-10 years time, thanks to ICANN it is much sooner than that!

Eight months ago I was being rediculed for investing in ccTLD's, now I have numerous congratulatory emails this week alone for the sale of College.St, the domain market has and is changing, the strange thing is though is that it is mainly because of idiotic plans laid out by ICANN that it is changing so rapidly (even faster than I thought it would - and that is saying something).

whydna

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi, I didn't read the entire article. But, of course I wouldn't like it if the prices are 40,000$/year.

However, I stand by my point that domains should be a little more expensive, perhaps about 60-100$ a year or so.

Duckinla

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I must be missing something that everyone else is seeing. Isn't domain registration a competitive market? Who is going to be charging these high registration fees? Is it a company like Godaddy? If that were the case, wouldn't I just transfer the domain to a registrar that isn't gouging me? If a registrat wanted to charge google $500,000 to renew the name, wouldn't they just lose google to a company that will do it for $6.95?

As to your point Whydna, the same thing could be accomplished by forcing minimum 5-year registrations instead of 1 year.

jazzpetals

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Do you develop all of your domain names whydna? I think the majority of us here don't. I develop some and others I just park, it would take me years to develop every domain I owned. This is just another tactic for those with deep pockets to get their hands on valuable domain names...welcome to Corporate America!

Bill Roy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Could this be a way to initiate a rise in ICANN fees?

Could it be a back door for ICANN to decide on registration/renewal fees?

As pointed out by Duckinla there would seem little point otherwise in a free market. But then again does anything ICANN suggests/does surprise any of us now?

DomeBase

Old Timer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I must be missing something that everyone else is seeing. Isn't domain registration a competitive market? Who is going to be charging these high registration fees? Is it a company like Godaddy? If that were the case, wouldn't I just transfer the domain to a registrar that isn't gouging me? If a registrat wanted to charge google $500,000 to renew the name, wouldn't they just lose google to a company that will do it for $6.95?

As to your point Whydna, the same thing could be accomplished by forcing minimum 5-year registrations instead of 1 year.

There is some competition at the Registrar level. If one Registrar charges too much, then you can go to another.

However, this contract is at the Registry level. There is only one registry for a TLD, so they effectively have a monopoly for the TLD. If the registry charges $10,000 for a domain, then any registrar that sells it to you for less than $10,000 takes a loss.

sevent

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Read the TOS, you can pay the 100 years but the price can fluxuate and be adjusted.

Yes, and from what I understand they aren't *really* renewing for 100 years all at once. They are agreeing to continue to renew later and continue to renew. So any change in Registry policies could mess that up.

Of course, even if they held to the pricing you would be out $1k per name :(

I've added my comments to the ICANN page. You should do the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom