Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Is .Mobi Already Dead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asperger

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
my text wont format correctly.

Last edited:

mulligan

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Not figures quoted from somewhere else ... YOUR figures (It's Ok if you don't want to .. no pressure) .. Apologies if I didn't make my self clear initially.

Yes ofcourse,"In a new Forrester report published this week, the number of people in Western Europe accessing Internet services using their mobile phone is predicted to triple to reach 125 million by 2013. In some countries, including the U.K., adoption will be even faster, predicts Forrester.By 2013, a quarter of consumers will have 3.5G-enabled phone, Forrester said. In two years' time, the number of GDM or GPRS phones will be overtaken by 3.5G handsets."
http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9069238 (from 18 Mar 2008)-
"The EU's mobile data market grew by 40 per cent last year, to €7bn, the research found, with 3G users doubling to 112 million in the year to April 2008.
"http://networks.silicon.com/mobile/0,39024665,39244960,00.htm (from 11 June 2008)-
It looks to be expanding according to the statistics.

Asperger

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm basing my figures (and hopes) on reputable articles like the ones i posted.

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm basing my figures (and hopes) on reputable articles like the ones i posted.

"Yes ofcourse,"In a new Forrester report published this week, the number of people in Western Europe accessing Internet services using their mobile phone is predicted to triple to reach 125 million by 2013."

What does that have to do with .mobi? You seem to be confusing mobile use with mobi - mobi is NOT the mobile internet.

Everyone one of these 125 million users by 2013 will be using phones that render ANY website properly on the mobile device. To think otherwise would be sheer folly. To think that come 2013 people will still want to view neutered websites - which is what mobi is - is just plain stupid imo.

mediaadvantages

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
"Yes ofcourse,"In a new Forrester report published this week, the number of people in Western Europe accessing Internet services using their mobile phone is predicted to triple to reach 125 million by 2013."

What does that have to do with .mobi? You seem to be confusing mobile use with mobi - mobi is NOT the mobile internet.

Everyone one of these 125 million users by 2013 will be using phones that render ANY website properly on the mobile device. To think otherwise would be sheer folly. To think that come 2013 people will still want to view neutered websites - which is what mobi is - is just plain stupid imo.

I believe you are the one confusing mobile use with mobi. The only thing .mobi says is a site designed for mobile. Do with the site what you will. I think .com is king but I have never once seen anything that says .com is mobile internet. I may be wrong but show me where it says that?

Asperger

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
"mobi is NOT the mobile internet" Actually i think Google, Yahoo & Microsoft would dissagree., So i assume you're more accurate than those guys of predicting the future?

dommer

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
.mobi may not be dead yet, but it is dieing.

with iphone and samsung intrinsic phone, users just go to the .com sites.

As for the thought that companies will make specific websites for cellphone users, well they can do this but they do not need a .mobi or another extension.

Just as a site can tell what browser you are using, they will be able to tell that you are surfing using a cellphone. Then, a different version of the site will appear on your phone and therefore there is no need for .mobi

Once companies have a format of their webiste specifically for phones (using the same url), then that will be the final nail in the coffin for .mobi.

Asperger

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
"Once companies have a format of their webiste specifically for phones..."They already have one, it's called DotMOBI

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
.mobi may not be dead yet, but it is dieing.

with iphone and samsung intrinsic phone, users just go to the .com sites.

As for the thought that companies will make specific websites for cellphone users, well they can do this but they do not need a .mobi or another extension.

Just as a site can tell what browser you are using, they will be able to tell that you are surfing using a cellphone. Then, a different version of the site will appear on your phone and therefore there is no need for .mobi

Once companies have a format of their webiste specifically for phones (using the same url), then that will be the final nail in the coffin for .mobi.

Agree, You don't need another TLD to access the mobile version on your cell phone. If I go to Foxnews.com on my Iphone, it detects my phone automatically and takes me to a mobile friendly web page, What's interesting is that Fox News is using .Mobi to Redirect to the Dot Com. If you go to Foxnews.mobi, it takes you to Foxnews.proteus.com

Obviously Proteus.com didn't feel it was necessary to .mobi, if they did they would of registered Proteus.mobi.

maroulis

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
.Mobi is doing fine, the mobile web is doing fine, which is why more important figures are starting promote their mobile brand awareness using a .Mobi, why else would they bother?.Mobi is a brand & branding takes time.I still think theirs a great future for the domain.

you DO realize that Mobile Web is NOT related .mobi right? Compare apples to apples.... ;)

Asperger

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
"you DO realize that Mobile Web is NOT related .mobi right? Compare apples to apples...."Ofcourse they're related - how can you say otherwise? - growth in the mobile web is .Mobi's niche"Agree, You don't need another TLD to access the mobile version on your cell phone"Nobody seen the point .com in the very beginning, but it was addapted & those giants that were born from that era are backing .Mobi? Iphones are not without their issues & limitations (handling flash for example)

mjnels

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
you DO realize that Mobile Web is NOT related .mobi right? Compare apples to apples.... ;)

this is groundbreaking news. my eyes have now been opened.

Agree, You don't need another TLD to access the mobile version on your cell phone. If I go to Foxnews.com on my Iphone, it detects my phone automatically and takes me to a mobile friendly web page, What's interesting is that Fox News is using .Mobi to Redirect to the Dot Com. If you go to Foxnews.mobi, it takes you to Foxnews.proteus.com

Obviously Proteus.com didn't feel it was necessary to .mobi, if they did they would of registered Proteus.mobi.

well, OBVIOUSLY. :-/

dn-101

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Now,
it's time to get rid of the mobis fifth column

pjK

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
a decent website will know to automatically redirect mobile phones to their mobile version, which makes me question the need for a .mobi all together. go to facebook.com on any mobile phone, automatically redirects you to m.facebook.com.

mobi was dead before it started

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
For those who invested in .Mobi, I suggest you try to unload them for whatever you can get and run. :bolt:

maroulis

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
"you DO realize that Mobile Web is NOT related .mobi right? Compare apples to apples...."Ofcourse they're related - how can you say otherwise? - growth in the mobile web is .Mobi's niche"Agree, You don't need another TLD to access the mobile version on your cell phone"Nobody seen the point .com in the very beginning, but it was addapted & those giants that were born from that era are backing .Mobi? Iphones are not without their issues & limitations (handling flash for example)

Look who's back from the mobi Cave LOL.. So SMS/MMS/Ringtones and everything that kickstarted the mobile web is related to .mobi?

As for your argument re: iPhone/Flash, well, um, I'm not even going to go there.. On the bright side I hope you learned from your mistake and not going to reg a new worthless TLD in the future...

CyrusL

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm just wondering what the timeline is for .mobi zealots admitting defeat is?

Are there any mobi believers that will stand up and say "If xyz doesn't happen in 12 or 24 months I will call .mobi a failure"

I just don't want to log in dnforum in year 2025 and the usual suspect are telling us .mobi success is a couple years out and mobile phone web access is booming.

jasdon11

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Wow, 79 posts - that's some obituary!

'.mobi is dead, long live the mobi'

mediaadvantages

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
One thing you will noticed about .mobi backers is they don't find another excuse to bash others.

The naysayers said in 2006 that .mobi is dead and it wasn't a needed extention
.mobi is still alive

The naysayers said in 2007 that .mobi is dead due to the iphone
.mobi is still alive

The naysayers said in 2008 that .mobi is dead because of ICANNs extention decisions
.mobi is still alive

I notice two trends here. .mobi is still alive! and the naysayers keep searching for excuses. When .mobi is still alive and growing in 2009 what will be your excuse? I need to prepare myself for that one. And, since you can all predict the future. Please tell me what the excuse will be in 2010 and 2011. I would to know the exact dollar amount we will be paying for a gallon of gas at that time as well. Or is oil dead as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom