Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

It's tough to run a domainer blog...

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulbakerboo

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Adam is doing some great things for the domaining community. 

Most of the people writing these bad comments are just jealous
of the bloggers. I would like to see them post useful information daily!!

I would like to see the top bloggers charge money for membership to view the content and post comments. This would stop lots of bad comments and save me time from reading all their CRAP!! 

Rick Schwartz is not just a domainer he plants seeds in your mind
showing you ways around things to help you become successful and cut out the crap.

Even if he never posts on his blog again the information he has even me over the years has changed my life. 

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Most of the people writing these bad comments are just jealous
of the bloggers. I would like to see them post useful information daily!!

Well said, constructive criticism or suggestions would be better.

-=DCG=-

actnow

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
1. Last week, I gave Elliot a hard time in private over something he posted.
After a day of discussion (by emails), he was right and I was wrong.
lol
So, bloggers like Elliot have to deal with a lot of grief for no reason which consumes
their time and energy. (and vacation time.)

2. Many commenters post strictly for SEO. They really don't care what they write.
They want the bloggers visitors to visit the commenters site.
Plus, they gain ranking because of the links from a pr5 , 6 , 7 bloggers site.

3. Many visitors do not realize how much time and energy it takes to research and write the articles.
Then, they have to take time to police the comments.

4. And, you have the subset of bloggers who write confrontational articles just to get the traffic or stroke their own ego.
Berkins commented about one today.

5. Unfortunately, most of the bloggers do not make a lot from posting.
Too bad they can't cash out like Arrington.

dcristo

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
those who post on them, regardless to whether they are pro or con concerning the topic, add content and do the blogger a favor...basically.

depends if the comments add something to the discussion. if its just negativity and adds nothing of value they're not doing the blogger a favor, quite the opposite actually.

Domainster

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
FYI:

BloggerHeaven.com Drops today

jmcc

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Writing fluff pieces about the greatness of some celebrity domainer or some new TLD is easy. Almost anyone can do it and they frequently do. Doing reasoned analysis and presenting the facts and the truth is not. When I see someone presenting themselves as an expert on domaining or domains, I sometimes wonder in which cereal pack they got their "expert" badge.

If you want to run a good domainer blog you have to ask the tough questions and most importantly you've got to get the answers. There is a few good domainer blogs around but most seem to be following the herd.

Regards...jmcc

dcristo

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Writing fluff pieces about the greatness of some celebrity domainer or some new TLD is easy. Almost anyone can do it and they frequently do. Doing reasoned analysis and presenting the facts and the truth is not. When I see someone presenting themselves as an expert on domaining or domains, I sometimes wonder in which cereal pack they got their "expert" badge.

If you want to run a good domainer blog you have to ask the tough questions and most importantly you've got to get the answers. There is a few good domainer blogs around but most seem to be following the herd.

Regards...jmcc

Kinda comes with the territory of online marketing in general. The same thing happens in the SEO industry. Any monkey can start blogging and fake it until they make it so to speak. Very few experts are going to share their golden nuggets with you for nothing.

actnow

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I believe some of the comments above are little too harsh.

Not everyone wants to read statistical analysis or hard hitting facts.
Some people like to read human interest stories.
Some like to read business tips or suggestions.

If those bloggers don't interest you, don't visit their site.

People have the right to write an article. And, by doing so, they are not
saying they are an expert. They are expressing their opinion or experiences.
They are not demanding you have to visit their site.

If you only want experts to write, you might have very little to read.

Skinny

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yup, just read a recent post from Domain Shane (no he didn't pay me $50), one that was insightful and useful.

And the first comment is some John Doe just bashing him for no reason just like Adam mentioned.

I mean if you disagree with someone/something - fine. Articulate it maturely, instead of bashing and not creating any sort of meaningful discussion.

Sometimes the Internet makes you feel like you're in 2nd grade again.

Skinny

jmcc

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I believe some of the comments above are little too harsh.

Not everyone wants to read statistical analysis or hard hitting facts.
Well if you are investing in domains, then you need this kind of information. Otherwise you are just throwing darts at a domain droplist and hoping one will hit a good domain.

Some people like to read human interest stories.
People like reassurance that there are others just like them and that they too could become rich.

People have the right to write an article. And, by doing so, they are not
saying they are an expert.
The problem arises when they present themselves as an expert and they are not.

Regards...jmcc

Tia Wood

Web Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
People like reassurance that there are others just like them and that they too could become rich.

The problem arises when they present themselves as an expert and they are not.

The problem with this is:

a) If only the 'experts' took the time to write, hardly anyone would be writing and then everyone would complain that the experts don't share. It's already happened before Domaining.com started.

b) There are multiple levels of knowledge and multiple levels of roads one could take in order to become successful in domaining.

c) People are not dumb or sheep. I write my blog with the assumption that people can think for themselves and I assume other writers do the same.

d) I see no one writing "listen to me, I'm the expert" on any blog listed on Domaining.com so I'm not sure where this came from? Maybe there are a few people with that attitude but the overall census is not that way. A few bad apples should not spoil the value you could be getting.

e) Everyone in domaining came from different walks of professional backgrounds. They all have a unique perspective to add.

f) Most people like to blog about what they tried, the experiences they had, thoughts, etc. A couple of years ago hardly anyone was doing that and people complained back then that no one was sharing.

g) Realize that our industry is still young. We have plenty more failure ahead , even by the people you deem ‘experts’. Hopefully you will learn from it instead of bashing their blogging skills.

h) Quite a few people that you would never dream of being successful actually make money in domaining or in something directly related to domaining. They just don't think it is relevat that you know their income in order for them to blog. You either like their advice, or don't. You either read their blog or not. They don't care. They just love to share.

i) And finally, knowledge flows freely and unbiased which means you can learn a bit from anyone you meet if you just learn to chew the meat and spit out the fat.

jmcc

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
c) People are not dumb or sheep.
Every new TLD Landrush might show that it is not as clear cut as all that.

g) Realize that our industry is still young. We have plenty more failure ahead , even by the people you deem ‘experts’.
It is not whether I consider them experts but rather it is that they are presenting themselves as experts without providing any real proof. And if they are not experts then people relying on their advice as being from an expert could be making a very costly mistake. I sometimes see people extrapolating limited English language .com experience to some non-English language ccTLD. (The .eu Landrush would be the prime example of this.) The same mistakes are made with every new high profile TLD launch because people make the assumption that all opinions are equal and in the abscence of data and real expertise, hype and ignorance triumph. The registrars benefit - all this fanboyism drives domain registrations. The owners of the high value keyword domains benefit because it makes their domains more valuable. But the small domainers - the ones who believe the hype get massacred in the Landrush Anniversary drops on every new TLD.

Everyone has opinions and that, generally, is what blogging is about. Relying upon expert opinion is different in that the opinion of an expert is based on expertise.

Regards...jmcc

companyone

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks Adam... for coming around a bit from your 'blog rant' post...a while back. Yes, there can and will always be some problems...

But,

Most try and do a good job... some 'conflicts' will always be in the domain blogs. Most though try and be truthful...even if you do not agree with their point(s) of view...that is why most allow anyone to express their views, through the 'comments sections'....which can be a bit of a problem sometimes ;)

As, most domain bloggers can get the most insane...replays you can think of.

Peace!
Dan

BTW: A lot of domain bloggers...DO NOT...present themselves as "expert's....most just post relative 'domain industry news'

Last edited:

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Every new TLD Landrush might show that it is not as clear cut as all that.

It is not whether I consider them experts but rather it is that they are presenting themselves as experts without providing any real proof. And if they are not experts then people relying on their advice as being from an expert could be making a very costly mistake. I sometimes see people extrapolating limited English language .com experience to some non-English language ccTLD. (The .eu Landrush would be the prime example of this.) The same mistakes are made with every new high profile TLD launch because people make the assumption that all opinions are equal and in the abscence of data and real expertise, hype and ignorance triumph. The registrars benefit - all this fanboyism drives domain registrations. The owners of the high value keyword domains benefit because it makes their domains more valuable. But the small domainers - the ones who believe the hype get massacred in the Landrush Anniversary drops on every new TLD.

Everyone has opinions and that, generally, is what blogging is about. Relying upon expert opinion is different in that the opinion of an expert is based on expertise.

Regards...jmcc

liked :)

clear thinking and ratinalization is what gets missed by those who make assumptions about a bloggers "expertise"

as mentioned, one will follow a train of thought that is more in-line with theirs, than dismiss it... when there is no criticism of that philosophy or opinion.

therefore, critics are a necessary asset to the enlightenment of the general domainer population.

the biggest assuption of all is that:

many believe the fallacy that because a blog is "listed" on domaining... that it must be credible.

without domaining, some of those blogs probably wouldn't get any recognition.

i don't subscribe and i don't follow....so i don't get caught up

:)

companyone

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Regards...jmcc

__

Good post jmcc....

To this point, most bloggers I know, did not over 'HYPE'...the most recent (maybe ever) 'over hyped' domain extension... ."CO".

They did, obviously reported the news of it... but this domain extension was really 'over hyped' by: http://www.cointernet.co/ & GoDaddy...Hyping it and for the most part... letting people 'assume' it has a meaning of: Company ~ Colorado ~ Corporation

When in fact, it always has and will always be the country domain extension of "Columbia".....NO matter what 'artificial meaning, anyone wants to try give it and market it as.

'D'

companyone

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have a question for Adam...

Why is the thread you posted telling everyone how you do not read "domain blogs"...ranting against almost all of them.
Now it seems it has been 'deleted'...It was about 6 pages or so long.

Most of the members that have posted in this thread...had a post in that thread also.... I know I had several myself

If it has not been 'deleted'...please point me to its current location, as I would like to read through it again.

Thanks much for your help.

Best,
Dan

Last edited:

DomainShane

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Although we've never spoken I appreciate the change in sentiment. I knew what I was in for when I started my blog and I may not be anything but persistent but I'm accomplishing what I intended to set out to do. Provide another point of view from a person not on the inside. To make friends and built relationships with others that do the same thing in hopes of sharing information that would make us both more money. To have a voice. I get blasted every day from people call me an arrogant ass to a know it all and most days it doesn't bother me at all. There are days if you wonder if that is how everyone feels and right about that time I get a thank you or "job well done" in the comments that gives me enough to keep on. I do it for fun and because I enjoy it. Perhaps one day we too can talk and discuss the industry but I'm sure I would merely say the same things as Morgan and Elliot. Thanks again for the kind words. It's nice not to have someone that others respect adding more fuel to the haters fire.

Shane
aka DomainShane

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators