Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

It's tough to run a domainer blog...

Status
Not open for further replies.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have had experience this week with domaining blogs, Elliotsblog.com and I have a new respect for what these domain bloggers must put up with.

I had a very pleasant email discussion with Morgan Linton and a nice phone call from Domain Sherpa ( Michael) and I have a new respect for what they and others go through so I apologize for comments that may have offended them and anyone else who blogs about domaining.

Domain Bloggers have to put up with is horrendous torture and scrutiny from people that like to hide behind aliases.

The only thing I would reccomend is that you blog owners make people post under their facebook accounts so you/everyone knows who they are dealing with.

People using proxies or aliases to post on blogs are cowards, if you have some comment to make to these guys have the guts to use your real name.

It's ok to have a difference of opinion but use your real name.

For the most part, I know who most people are on Dnforum, some I agree with and some I disagree with but at least we know who we are dealing with.

It's tough for a blogger to write an article and have the same people come in and bash it sometimes for no reason what so ever.

So hats off to all the domain bloggers that continue to post day after day.

-=DCG=-

italiandragon

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
A question for you Adam:

if you started (and you did) using a nickname that you liked and then over the years you felt it like IT'S you....would you go around posting with that nick or with your real name, if you weren't famous?

I use my nick simply because it's more familiar to others, if I was using my real name, I doubt anyone would know who the poster is.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
A question for you Adam:

if you started (and you did) using a nickname that you liked and then over the years you felt it like IT'S you....would you go around posting with that nick or with your real name, if you weren't famous?

I use my nick simply because it's more familiar to others, if I was using my real name, I doubt anyone would know who the poster is.

Whether you post as ItalianDragon or your real name doesn't matter because everyone knows its you.
I am talking about the people that post as John Smith or other ficticious names and then slam their articles, this happens on all blogs.

There is nothing wrong with posting under a nick that you use consistantly.

-=DCG=-

italiandragon

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Whether you post as ItalianDragon or your real name doesn't matter because everyone knows its you.
I am talking about the people that post as John Smith or other ficticious names and then slam their articles, this happens on all blogs.

There is nothing wrong with posting under a nick that you use consistantly.

-=DCG=-

Thanks for the clarification :)

Unfortunately the bad apples can use many ways to keep anonymity. But hopefully Karma will treat them the way they treated others and treat you better then those who only know how to be envy and negative.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's not me I feel bad for, I have taken lumps in the past/present and I am sure future like Fred Flinstone and will continue to.

It's the people that troll blogs to add nothing but negativity that goes against all the hard work these domain bloggers are trying to acheive.

... again kudos to the domain bloggers that put up with it.

-=DCG=-

Cyger

Michael Cyger, Publisher of DNAcademy.com
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
@DotComGod, Adam it was great to speak to you this morning. Thanks for your time and for being so welcoming to your forum.

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Adam, you need to change you title to:

It's tough to run a good blog

This isn't just limited to domains but many niches.

The issue with domains is that anyone can spend $7 and proclaim themselves as an "expert" with little to no experience. You add in people investing hundreds to thousands of dollars and emotions can run very high.

tristanperry

Domainer & Web/Software Dev
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Indeed; it's unfortunately all too easy for people to hide behind their keyboards anonymously and create trouble without any real recourse for the blog owner (apart from deleting comments, which - from experience - gets tedious quickly :))

Tia Wood

Web Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I apologize for comments that may have offended them and anyone else who blogs about domaining.

Very nice of you. I think I have a new level of respect for you after reading that.

After reading comments on Elliot's blog and here, my only advice (after having to deal with this myself) is to ignore people and keep trucking on. You can't please everyone. It's better to forget the comments as soon as they come in. There is a reason people post anonymously and while they hid behind fake names and proxies, you are the one putting yourself out there.

Last edited:

Skinny

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Its pretty sad because online people make comments that would never make face to face.

Unfortunately, this is the bad side of the internet. A lack of a transperent identity.

I think Facebook comments are better but they too can be worked around.

Sad that anybody has to be constantly bashed when they are just trying to help though.

Skinny

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Very nice of you. I think I have a new level of respect for you after reading that.

After reading comments on Elliot's blog and here, my only advice (after having to deal with this myself) is to ignore people and keep trucking on. You can't please everyone. It's better to forget the comments as soon as they come in. There is a reason people post anonymously and while they hid behind fake names and proxies, you are the one putting yourself out there.

Thanks Tia,

-=DCG=-

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have had experience this week with domaining blogs, Elliotsblog.com and I have a new respect for what these domain bloggers must put up with.

I had a very pleasant email discussion with Morgan Linton and a nice phone call from Domain Sherpa ( Michael) and I have a new respect for what they and others go through so I apologize for comments that may have offended them and anyone else who blogs about domaining.

Domain Bloggers have to put up with is horrendous torture and scrutiny from people that like to hide behind aliases.

The only thing I would reccomend is that you blog owners make people post under their facebook accounts so you/everyone knows who they are dealing with.

People using proxies or aliases to post on blogs are cowards, if you have some comment to make to these guys have the guts to use your real name.

It's ok to have a difference of opinion but use your real name.

For the most part, I know who most people are on Dnforum, some I agree with and some I disagree with but at least we know who we are dealing with.

It's tough for a blogger to write an article and have the same people come in and bash it sometimes for no reason what so ever.

So hats off to all the domain bloggers that continue to post day after day.

-=DCG=-

i'm gonna flap my jibs, just for the sake of how a different eye might see it...

those who create blogs should know what they have to deal with or they will learn soon....depending on the topics

those who post on them, regardless to whether they are pro or con concerning the topic, add content and do the blogger a favor...basically.

without comments, what is a blog?

it's up to the blogger to decide whether he/she wants to censor posts, guide posts, or let posts be free, as is.

the comment about "blog owners make people post under their facebook accounts" sounds like bigbrother agenda

(you ain't nobody unless you got fb?)

please, abandon that though from your mind.

using your real name or not, has no bearing on the context of the comments, if you really want to address them.

just like some of the members who post here. we don't "know" these mf's :)

some will throw a rock and hide their hand in a minute, if you know what that means

:rolleyes:

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Its pretty sad because online people make comments that would never make face to face.

Unfortunately, this is the bad side of the internet. A lack of a transperent identity.

The really sad part is that it wasn't always like that. I remember when I could post my name, address, and phone number on a public forum (well, USENET group) and the only people who would note it were the people it was intended for. People would post their phone #'s in MUDS with no fear.

The turning point was ISPs like AOL and Compuserv who made the internet available to all, not just the mentally mature.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators