Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Massive air raid rocks Baghdad

Status
Not open for further replies.

TopNames.com

Domain Buyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Whois-Search
So America and UK bypass the demoratic way and inforce democracy in Iraq ?

How many wars use the amount of force America is using ?

All things considered...the US and UK isn't using much force at all...they could carpet bomb Baghdad like the Germans did to the UK and what the UK did back to the Germans during WWII. That would be cheaper that the 1.5 million dollar missles...but that would kill a lot of civilians. All things considered, the US and UK are trying to limit innocent deaths.

How many times in history have you ween a war where the invading force medical care?

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Angel, i was referring to

"..if you really have that much of a problem go into Baghdad right now and tell someone else.."

TopNames.com

Domain Buyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I actually agree with you Whois...I don't think it's a good idea for the US to force democracy on a country. I think the people should choose for themselves. Lets hope that's what happens here.

NamePopper.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Boy that 'Dolly Parton' has some big breasts! :)

TopNames.com

Domain Buyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yea she does...but I did that Jennifer Garner (Daredevil Girl)

Cash Is King

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by NamePopper.com
Boy that 'Dolly Parton' has some big breasts! :)

Popper

I prefer "Jugs", "Knockers", Over the Shoulder Boulder Holders", just to name a few.

TopNames.com

Domain Buyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
my favorite word for the ladies fun bags is "rack"...as in...man, does she have a nice rack! :)

NamePopper.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Here's a nice pic. Not bad for a 60 year old Country & Western singer. :D

12330003.jpg

think

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

timechange.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Turkey does not want an independent Kurdish nation - period. The US will turn its eyes away from the turkish intervention in northern Iraq, since they granted airspace access to the allied planes.

That's part of the dirty side stories of war.

WildCard

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I don't know about that TC, it seems that Turkey has closed access to the airspace. We'll see how they work Turkey into the equation. It seems like it would be logical to have the Kurds govern themselves since it seems that many local groups hate them. Turkey's been an ally for a long time though, I don't think the US would do that to them.

-wc-

Kid Kool

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Kurd PM: French, Russians to lose Iraq oil
By Martin Walker
UPI Chief International Correspondent
From the International Desk
Published 3/14/2003 4:28 PM
View printer-friendly version

WASHINGTON, March 14 (UPI) -- French and Russian oil and gas contracts signed with the Saddam Hussein regime in Iraq "will not be honored," Barhim Salih, a leading Iraqi Kurdish official, said in Washington Friday, just before a series of high-level meetings with Bush administration officials.

"A new Iraqi government should not honor any of these contracts, signed against the interests of the Iraqi people. The new Iraqi government should respect those who stood by us, and not those who stood beside the dictator," added Salih, who is prime minister in the Patriotic Union of Kurdistan government that controls Iraq's eastern Kurdish area.

Russian and French oil corporations have each signed draft contracts with Iraq, to come into force only when the United Nations sanctions are lifted, for exploration, development and exploitation of the country's energy resources -- which geologists believe may be the world's second largest after Saudi Arabia. The value of the draft contracts, if fully taken up, is estimated to have a potential of more than $20 billion.

Although there have been dark hints that French and Russian opposition to a second U.N. resolution in the Security Council could have economic consequences, this is the first clear threat from a leading opposition figure from inside Iraq that their oil contracts will not be honored.

"France and Russia should make a decision where they stand," Barhim Salih added, speaking to U.S. policy experts and reporters at the prestigious Council on Foreign Relations Friday. "We would rather see them stand with us. They cannot have it both ways."

Salih is expected to be one of the leading political figures in Iraq, along with the PUK's leader Jalal Talabani, after the fall of Iraq's current leader Saddam Hussein. The Kurdish enclave in northern Iraq, protected for a decade by British and U.S. warplanes enforcing a no-fly zone, has become an island of prosperity and nascent democratic ways.

While there is no guarantee that Salih will be elected to a high position in whatever new government emerges in Baghdad after Saddam, the Iraqi Kurds -- both in the PUK area and those in the region controlled by the Kurdistan Democratic Party and its leader Masud Barzani -- constitute the best-organized opposition in Iraq and are expected to play a decisive role.

Prime Minister Salih went on for talks with senior Bush administration officials on plans for rebuilding post-war Iraq and for creating political stability. His top priority was to dissuade the Bush administration from giving the Turkish military any role in the Kurdish region on northern Iraq.

"Turkish military involvement will invite other neighbors to intervene, like Syria and Iran. This would open Pandora's box. It would create havoc, and compromise the real mission, which is to install representative government and democracy in a stable Iraq, at peace with its neighbors."

He also said that the 70,000 Kurdish troops, mostly with light weapons, at his government's disposal would come under U.S. command in the event of war. And he confirmed intelligence reports that Iraqi troops had affixed explosives to the oil wells near Mosul and Kirkuk.

"Saddam wants to instigate an environmental catastrophe. This is his Armageddon," Salih said. "We are in touch with the Iraqi military, telling them to ignore orders to destroy the wells. We think very few of them will fight. Senior officers at border crossing have asked us to let them know when the moment (for attack) comes so they can escape."

Prime Minister Salih, 42, with a Ph. D in computer science from a British university, said he did "not expect to see Western-style democracy overnight, but some form of representative government will emerge, based on a federal system with wide measures of autonomy for the various regions."

Copyright © 2001-2003 United Press International

Kid Kool

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
'You're late. What took you so long? God help you become victorious'

'I want to say hello to Bush, to shake his hand'

James Meek in Safwan
Saturday March 22, 2003
The Guardian

http://www.guardian.co.uk/Iraq/Story/0,2763,919642,00.html

Yesterday afternoon a truck drove down a side road in the Iraqi town of Safwan, laden with rugs and furniture. Booty or precious possessions? In a day of death, joy and looting, it was hard to know.
As the passengers spotted European faces, one boy grinned and put his thumb up. The other nervously waved a white flag. The mixed messages defined the moment: Thank you. We love you. Please don't kill us.

US marines took Safwan at about 8am yesterday. There was no rose-petal welcome, no cheering crowd, no stars and stripes.

Afraid that the US and Britain will abandon them, the people of Safwan did not touch the portraits and murals of Saddam Hussein hanging everywhere. It was left to the marines to tear them down. It did not mean there was not heartfelt gladness at the marines' arrival. Ajami Saadoun Khlis, whose son and brother were executed under the Saddam regime, sobbed like a child on the shoulder of the Guardian's Egyptian translator. He mopped the tears but they kept coming.

"You just arrived," he said. "You're late. What took you so long? God help you become victorious. I want to say hello to Bush, to shake his hand. We came out of the grave."

"For a long time we've been saying: 'Let them come'," his wife, Zahara, said. "Last night we were afraid, but we said: 'Never mind, as long as they get rid of him, as long as they overthrow him, no problem'." Their 29-year-old son was executed in July 2001, accused of harbouring warm feelings for Iran.

"He was a farmer, he had a car, he sold tomatoes, and we had a life that we were satis fied with," said Khlis. "He was in prison for a whole year, and I raised 75m dinars in bribes. It didn't work. The money was gone, and he was gone. They sent me a telegram. They gave me the body."

The marines rolled into the border town after a bombardment which left up to a dozen people dead. Residents gave different figures. A farmer, Haider, who knew one of the men killed, Sharif Badoun, said: "Killing some is worth it, to end the injustice and suffering." The men around him gave a collective hysterical laugh.

The injustice of tyranny was merged in their minds with the effects of sanctions. "Look at the way we're dressed!" said Haider, and scores of men held up their stained, holed clothes. "We are isolated from the rest of the world."

The marines took Safwan without loss, although a tank hit a mine. "They had to clear that route through. They found the way to punch through and about 10 Iraqi soldiers surrendered immediately," said Marine Sergeant Jason Lewis, from Denver, standing at a checkpoint at the entrance to the town where, minutes earlier, a comrade had folded a huge portrait of President Saddam and tucked it into his souvenir box.

The welcome, he admitted, had been cool. "At first they were a little hesitant," he said. "As you know, Saddam's a dictator, so we've got to reassure them we're here to stay _ We tore down the Saddam signs to show them we mean business.

"Hopefully this time we'll do it right, and give these Iraqis a chance of liberty."

But the marines' presence was light. They had not brought food, medicines, or even order. All day hundreds of armoured vehicles poured through the town. But they did not stop, and the looting continued. Every government establishment seemed to be fair game. People covered their faces in shame as they carried books out of a school. Tawfik Mohammed, the headmaster, initially denied his school had been looted, then admitted it. "This is the result of your entering," he said. "Whenever any army enters an area it becomes chaos. We are cautious about the future. We are very afraid."

Safwan yesterday was a place where people were constantly taking you aside to warn in veiled terms that it was necessary to be careful. Everywhere was the lingering fear that the revenge killings that swept the area in 1991 - a product of US encourage ment and then abandonment of the southern Iraqi revolt - could happen again.

"Now, we are afraid [Saddam's] government will come back," said Haider, as the Safwan Farmers' Cooperative was being looted behind him. "We don't trust the Americans any more. People made a revolution, and they didn't help us."

Safwan is a crumbling, dead-end place, full of poor, restless young men, and reliant on the tomato trade for its income. Farmers were panicking yesterday as they asked journalists, in lieu of anyone better, how they were supposed to sell their tomatoes.

A handful of soldiers, mainly US marines but with a few British, are struggling to cope with the chaos and the lack of health care or aid.

At a checkpoint just north of the town two British military policemen with paramedical training and a US doctor rushed to treat two Iraqi men brought in on the back of a beaten-up pick-up truck. Their legs were lacerated by shrapnel. The military policemen did their conscientious best, and may have saved their lives.

WildCard

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You've got to admit that those are awesome stats. 1000 highly destructive missiles sent into a capitol city, only 250 injured. I think it was 4 people dead, right?

Are you finally calmer about this attack, whois-search?

-WC-

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
We'll know the death toll by the end of this war. Striking and OCCUPYING a METROPOLIS of 5 MILLION people is definitely going to cause WAY MUCH MORE than a couple of hundred deaths, I can tell you.

FYI: Associated Press reported on 29 April 1999 that 2,500 Iraqi civilians were killed in the first Gulf War according to the US.

WildCard

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well, we'll never know how many of those were due to being in hospitals on respirators when power went out, or the elderly that died, or how many were civilians that were purposely close to a military asset that was bombed.

Watch the news, I have seen several shots of buildings that looked great except for a window that was blasted out or a bomb crater sitting next to another building that appears unscathed.

-WC-

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom