Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

My first attempt at website design

Status
Not open for further replies.

hotdomainnames

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I've spent the past week trying to build my first website. There isn't too much up at this point (compared to what I want it to be), but I was hoping some of you could check it out and maybe give some feedback and/or advice.

http://www.thehypochondriac.com

Thanks!

Update 5/5/06: Please see my response below

Domain Summit 2024

Coolalex

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Just respectable critisism: WAY too many ads, maybe not such a graphic image right on the front page, custom or at least different skin for the forum.

webfreak

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
IMO, there isn't much of an actual design. :frown:

Julio

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
try making the page fit the browser and not scroll left to right. I'm using a screen res of 1024x768. Everything else is readable! nice.

hotdomainnames

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thank you all for your comments and suggestions, I've spent quite a bit of time in the past few days trying to implement changes based on your suggestions. I would greatly appreciate it if you would be willing to take another look and offer any opinions you have on the current design and the changes that I've made.

Thank you once again!

PrezKennedy

Level 1
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I would suggest you look into using CSS for your page design. What you have seems pretty rigid... and... bland. I'm not sure what type of design you're going for, but you should probably pick up CSS no matter what, it'll make design changes much quicker to implement as well.

If you're wondering how to use CSS, I recommend going to http://htmlhelp.com/ for info on how to implement it. That's what I've been using for the past six years or so when I'm making design changes to my websites.

DomainersNet

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Missing menu graphics on the diagnostics page.
Not much of a design. The pages do not flow for me. When you click on any of the menu links, ie the forum and the blog, IMHO the styles of the forum and blog should be similar to the main page but they're not. Good luck.

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The page width doesn't fit on my screen, I have to scroll left to right, try to squeeze everything to the left, or decrease the width of your welcome text paragraphs.

The dark blue background and white text in the google ads isn't good. Choose a completely white background with the ad text in blue or black. The ad text will stand out more and still blend in with the white background on your page.

Since you have a link to DNForum, you may as well join the DNForum affiliate program and use an affiliate link - that way if someone joins from your link you'll earn a commission on anything they buy here. Look at the top of this page in the red bar for the affiliate sign up. Do the same with Sedo if they have an affiliate program.

Instead of a Google text link box (the second one down on the left), I would use the 468x15 style and put it under your logo / above the first paragraph.

I would add a Google search box near the bottom of your page, above the visitor counter.

Google allows three ad boxes and it looks like you are only using one. I would add at least one more, maybe on the left under your menu. Maybe a 160x600 or 120x600. Use the same white background and blue or black text.

The basic layout of the site is good, nice and simple, not cluttered. White background is great. Keep providing useful content and place the google ads around it and it should look good.

fkrule

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
your forums could do with a better template the silver of subsilver is not very popular

hotdomainnames

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the continuing suggestions...I've already made several changes based on them and my CTR on the google ads has increased about 5-fold in the past few days (now if only I could get more than $.10-$.30 per click).

I have a question about the CSS suggestion...it looked a little complicated on the site that you recommended (I just barely understand HTML)...is CSS something that has a pretty steep learning curve or is it something that will take me weeks to figure out? I definately agree that the site does seem kind of bland overall, I just don't know the best way that someone with my limited skills can improve it much.

That said, I'm definately very interested in all suggestions. I've noticed that my traffic has been steadily increasing over the past couple of weeks and now that my site comes up on the first MSN search page for two of the primary keywords I was going after (combined overture value of about 10,000), I'm starting to get some search engine traffic as well. Definately want to have something useful and nice looking to keep people interested and coming back.

Thanks again!

proxinated

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Simple. Looks good for first time though, better than my first time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom