Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

need your advice on this one...

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigroxtar

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I recently purchased milpixel.com and since the sale have seen the traffic drop to 1/10 of what it was advertised as. I have no reason to think that the seller gave me false info, but I am trying to figure why I would suddenly see such a large drop in traffic from what the previous owner was seeing.

here's the info from the sale:

http://www.dnforum.com/f48/milpixel-com-traffic-350-500-uv-day-developed-revenue-thread-132895.html

When we made the exchange, I put the domain on my nameservers but there was about 24 hours of time where the site was down. I got it back up, using all the files he sent over and only changed the meta tags to include a few more keywords for SEO. I also changed the AD code to my account. But that is it. The previous owner said that about 40% of 300-500 UVs perday came from the million dollar homepage, however that traffic over the last 8 days has averaged only 5-6 visitors perday from that link.

I know that sometimes there can be lost uvs from propogation time and down time, but I must have done something significant to have that much traffic lost in a simple transfer of ownership. Any ideas?

thanks

bigroxtar

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You have probably been a victim of what we in the system call 'pump and dump'. They pumped up the traffic, then dumpedit on you.

No domain should dip to 1/10th of the advertised traffic a few days after the sale.

Ask for a refund.

-=DCG=-

bigroxtar

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
i did.

he replied, "Sorry man... a sale is a sale. I bought a pair of jeans at the store the other day and now I realized they are a little long, you think the store will negotiate the price? I sold the name according to my stats, and the previous stats, and I am standing by them. Sorry"

thats a tough deal if youre right.

bigroxtar

JEsports

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
bigroxtar said:
i did.

he replied, "Sorry man... a sale is a sale. I bought a pair of jeans at the store the other day and now I realized they are a little long, you think the store will negotiate the price? I sold the name according to my stats, and the previous stats, and I am standing by them. Sorry"

bigroxtar

Pretty bad example there ... i've never had a problem taking any clothes back for a full refund.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
bigroxtar said:
i did.

bigroxtar

Let's see how he feels when the store send him a warning. ;)

Warning sent.

-=DCG=-

SouthernTn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
woah.. what about the referrers? Where did it say the traffic was coming from?

bigroxtar

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
the seller said that the traffic was 40% from milliondollarhomepage, with the rest split between google, yahoo, and other links. he said that the servers he was working with didnt give any more specific info than that.

its a really tough deal. i thought and still do, even with his candor about a refund that he is a good guy. its just a tough situation in a tough market...

big

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think with this name that it was your risk to purchase it and assume that the traffic would continue. The pixel market has dropped significantly, and related sites should not be expected to retain traffic either.

I don't have all the details but it seems like just bad luck to me. Hope you can get it straightened out though. :)

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This is a tough one...

Usually I would say this is a clear case of pump and dump. However, as 007 said the pixel sites were a huge fad. I don't understand why anyone would buy a pixel site anymore, since its pretty obvious traffic would decrease.

That being said, I don't believe for a second this site was getting 400 visitors per day from MDHP. I think a further investigation should be completed before any more assumptions are made.

NameYourself

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
GT Web said:
I think a further investigation should be completed before any more assumptions are made.

I agree.

bigroxtar

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
i realize that i took a risk in purchasing the site. my intent with the thread was to see if there was something that i did to upset the traffic flow.

to the let's investigate this further comment: i would be happy to send anyone interested the screen shots of my current stats...again, with the intent of getting the traffic back where it was, rather than to bad mouth a fellow dnforum member.

please note: i didnt want to throw the previous owner under the bus in any way. he was a very nice and helpful guy to me up until i brought the traffic problem to light.

this is a tough deal. i am out a significant amount of money, and the traffic was advertised as being a certain level. when it turned out not to be 300-500 uv/day well after the transfer and the previous owner was unwilling to renegotiate the price for the actual stats or refund and return the site, name, and any lost profits to him for my entire ownership period plus the extra propogation time, i found that i had to cut my losses a bit, and figure out the traffic problem.

thus, this thread. DCG and several others seem to think that i got duped. thats a tough deal. i hate that it happened, and i wish there was a way to fix it.

bigroxtar

NameYourself

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
bigroxtar said:
DCG and several others seem to think that i got duped. thats a tough deal. i hate that it happened, and i wish there was a way to fix it.

That's why the traffic logs should be investigated by one of the Admins here. If you did get duped, the duper should be punished for it.

As others have mentioned pixel sites were a quick fad and fading as fast as they came. Without examining the logs it's hard to to tell whether it was a completely natural drop in your traffic or not, and to tell how possibly you might be able to bring it back up to where it was.

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What has been the major change in the last 9 days with how YOU have it setup to receive traffic vs Mr. Deleted and how thejosh had it setup ? It appears the stats jumped once thejosh took over ? I believe Mr. Deleted whole heartedy. What catches my eye is the increase for the few weeks before it was sold to you. Am I reading this wrong ?

http://www.dnforum.com/f178/milpixe...nge-thread-127902.html?highlight=milpixel.com

What i am seeing.

Mr. Deleted sales the domain ( stats verified )
A few weeks pass and the josh sales it to you. ( stats increased since Mr Deleted sold it )
Now after a week plus you have noticed them fall drasiticly.

Not saying thejosh pumped anything, infact he could have done very well in increasing the traffic etc, perhaps you havent yet?

Just an observation.

bigroxtar

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Not saying thejosh pumped anything, infact he could have done very well in increasing the traffic etc, perhaps you havent yet?

perhaps you are right, thus the reason for my post. however, i have only added a couple meta tag keywords and my own ad code (refer to my first thread post).

big

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So are you stating you see no reason for traffic to drop so drasticly? The prior links etc remain in tact ?

Edwin

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Is the domain set to wildcard subdomains i.e. ANYTHING.domain.com resolves? Are you capturing 404 error traffic?

From experience, those are 2 factors that can hugely impact traffic, depending on exactly where that traffic is coming from.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators