Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

discussion Should Epik Change Name and Rebrand?

This is a general discussion thread revolving around the a topic of the original poster's choice.

Should Epik Change Name and Rebrand?

• Yes

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • No

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • I don't know

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

accurate

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
With the recent data breach and hack of Epik, who believes Epik should change the corporate name and rebrand?

There has been so much negative press I think it would be a wise move.

Companies do it all the time and I feel it might be wise for Epik to consider it at this point.

What do others think?

Domain summit 2024

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I find that there's nothing that Epik has to hide by renaming themselves and rebranding to something that they're not.

aleksey.k

Snake Charmer (Python3, DevOps)
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
It sounds like turning a tail and a sort of capitulation.

robmonster

Epik.com CEO
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The re-brand idea is silly. Not everyone likes RedBull but everyone knows it. Not everyone wears Nike but everyone knows it. Brands don't have to be universally accepted to be highly effective.

What bit of controversy has been triggered has not hurt the brand in the aggregate. If you increase brand awareness by 10 million people and just 10% become brand acceptors, the brand acceptance is increased. The propagandists end up doing us a favor by raising brand awareness among our target audience. It happens over and over again.

For what it is worth, for the first 2 days of November, there have been 2900 transfers in and 194 transfers out. Those ratios are consistent with what we have been seeing for weeks with vastly more domains are arriving than leaving despite the determined efforts by propagandists.

On a related note, our hosting business has grown 3X year over year with an accelerating trend. This is organic growth, largely from word of mouth, before putting any marketing energy behind it. A major capacity expansion is under way, concurrent with rollout of OpSec practices. Along the way we have been blessed with some mighty tech talent.

Meanwhile, CNN has an entire team working on a "CNN Investigates" report about me. These "journalists" unwisely elect to do bad journalism, and then when their lies are exposed, if they have to dump them, they simply do e.g. as happened in 2017. Their careers get wrecked, and CNN moves on. Rinse and repeat.

May the domain industry's prayer warriors who are so inclined continue to pray that what the enemy intends for evil that it continued to be used mightily for good. And may the Lord continue to bless these prayer warriors, along with Epik's loyal customers, for the courage to think for themselves! Don't worry, God laughs last. See Psalm 2 for details.

JennBlogger

Level 4
Reaction score
May the domain industry's prayer warriors who are so inclined continue to pray that what the enemy intends for evil that it continued to be used mightily for good. And may the Lord continue to bless these prayer warriors, along with Epik's loyal customers, for the courage to think for themselves! Don't worry, God laughs last. See Psalm 2 for details.

Do you actually feel God would be happy with you? I'm seriously curious.

People have pointed out in the NP thread you can find bad sites at any registrar/host, but Epik is the only one I'm aware of that reached out to these bad sites, at times, publicly. Why do you think God would be ok with you giving a home to these sites?

robmonster

Epik.com CEO
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

People have pointed out in the NP thread you can find bad sites at any registrar/host, but Epik is the only one I'm aware of that reached out to these bad sites, at times, publicly. Why do you think God would be ok with you giving a home to these sites?

It depends on how you define "bad". I think Gab.com is ultimately a force for good and that they are governing themselves in line with their Terms of Service. I believe their prior registrar's heavy-handed termination did not give them the opportunity to demonstrate that they were prepared to self-govern.

A similar story occurred with Parler, where in January, AWS abruptly terminated them due to inadequate ability to keep up with abuse reports, some of which may not have been generated in good faith. They were taken offline and then we had the opportunity to help them.

Our position on both cases was a reasonable one. If you think otherwise, you are free to do so, but you would be out of alignment with the Founding Fathers, who by the way, also did not believe that you evolved from a primate, and who further believe that mankind and womankind are accountable to a Creator, whether they like it or not.

As for the existence of "Bad sites", a highly subjective term, you are likely aware of our academic work in this area where we concluded that per the SPLC's own definition of "bad sites", the vast majority of them are elsewhere, and have remained elsewhere, and indeed very few were allowed to reside at Epik:

To the extent that "hot potato" sites do show up at Epik, we quickly assess them and then decide whether or not to empower. Representative examples are 8 Chan which we sent packing, and ProLifeWhistleblower which we advised to shut down, and which is also not a client. Anyone can show up at Epik but not everyone gets to stay.

As for whether God looks favorably on our work, I think God rewards his ambassadors who fulfill His calling or purpose for their lives. This is the essence of Romans 12:1, which even most nominal Christians never understand. Proverbs 16 also provides reinforcing wisdom along the same lines.

We believe Epik's thriving operation, with a dozen acquisitions completed over the last 3 years, is a testimony to something that I very much believe about God: His grace is sufficient and His logistics are perfect. As a result, and because God is sovereignly on the throne, what the enemy intends for evil, God invariably transmutes into good.

Related personal commentary here:

Level 4
Reaction score

Well... Depends... Ask yourself, what would Jesus do? He walked amongst the 'scum of the earth'. Ultimately, there's only one to judge... Judgment will come for all of us. We can have opinions but there's only one who can truly judge.

Then there's forgiveness... think about it.

Ultimately, imo, it's just business, forget about religion. They messed up, correct their mistakes (hopefully), and move on.

At some point the time has come to accept the past and focus on the future.

accurate

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear about the domain and web hosting growth in business.

For what it is worth, for the first 2 days of November, there have been 2900 transfers in and 194 transfers out. Those ratios are consistent with what we have been seeing for weeks with vastly more domains are arriving than leaving despite the determined efforts by propagandists.

On a related note, our hosting business has grown 3X year over year with an accelerating trend. This is organic growth, largely from word of mouth, before putting any marketing energy behind it. A major capacity expansion is under way, concu

Certainly hope so.
rrent with rollout of OpSec practices. Along the way we have been blessed with some mighty tech talent.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators