Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

SnapNames Sues Former VP for $33 million, alleging he rigged website auctions

Status
Not open for further replies.

companyone

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi,

SnapNames sues former vice president for $33 million, alleging he rigged website auctions

By Mike Rogoway, The Oregonian
May 04, 2010, 3:42PM

SnapNames, a downtown Portland company that provides website domain registration services, sued one of its former executives for $33 million today, alleging that he rigged the company's online auctions and caused customers to overpay.

Oversee.net, SnapNames' California-based parent company, alleges that Nelson Brady also caused it to overpay when it bought the Portland business three years ago. The activity allegedly took place over four years, from 2005 until the company discovered it last October.

Brady's attorneys did not have an immediate response to the suit, filed today with the U.S. District Court in Oregon, but said they had been in discussions with SnapNames about settling the allegations.

Domain names are the addresses that Web surfers type into their Internet browsers when they visit a Web site. Popular names can be hugely valuable, and there's a vigorous resale market for the most popular domains.

SnapNames acquires expiring domain names and then sells them to the highest bidder, keeping a percentage for itself.

The company alleges that Brady, a Vancouver resident and nine-year employee, was secretly bidding up the price of domain names under a fake name: "Hank Alvarez."

The activity affected 36,000 auctions, according to the suit, and prompted SnapNames to refund overpayments, plus interest, to thousands of customers.

The allegations have been a hot topic in the domain name business since SnapNames disclosed the alleged auction manipulation last fall. Indeed, some domain name buyers had suspicions about Alvarez's activity before then.

"It's been a distraction. Lots of people worked with Brady for a long time, and everyone was surprised and very disappointed by what we learned," Mason Cole, SnapNames' vice president of corporate communications, said this afternoon.

"It took quite a while for us to make the information known to our customers," Cole said. "We are still in the process of offering rebates to our affected customers.

SnapNames does not put a dollar figure on its loss in the suit, but Oversee.net alleges that Brady's actions inflated the Portland company's revenues -- thereby inflating the undisclosed price it paid for SnapNames.

Overall, though, SnapNames said Brady's activities affected less than 1 percent of its auction revenue during the years in question. It said his activities affected 5 percent of the company's auctions during that period.

SnapNames said it has notified U.S. prosecutors and the Federal Trade Commission.

Source and Links Here

___

Best,
Dan

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
LOTS of errors in the article.

Most importantly, Nelson had Snap exec absolutely cover for him for several years... THEY KNEW.

Should I post the email that the Moniker dude sent me that threatened me if I dared to show up at Domainfest and ask questions about the Snapnames fraud?

INVIGOR

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Last edited:

companyone

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I Vote Yes.... JuniperPark

Maybe you should give the "exclusive scoop" to the guy who wrote this article, or better yet:

Frank & Adam At:

Domain Name News

OR

Ron At:

Domain Journal

___
Peace!
Dan

BTW: you most likely just put yourself in the middle of the whole thing....just by making the post you did. You might as well take control....before people "Come A Knocking"....IMHO

Last edited:

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Overall, though, SnapNames said Brady's activities affected less than 1 percent of its auction revenue during the years in question. It said his activities affected 5 percent of the company's auctions during that period.

I see those two statements as being total bullshit.

Also, I'd be on the lookout for Oversee to file legal action against the former Snap Head Honchos for over-inflating the value of the company.

DN BROKER

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I will only accept the results of the FEDS, has anyone found out if they got involved?

I called the RCMP twice regarding this matter and have not received any callbacks!

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'll be calling SnapNames tomorrow.

I recently won three names.

Each went to a different registar.

Each a Directi reseller.

WTF?!?

Why in the hell did they not go to Moniker?

And, it has been 48 hours OVERTIME since each of those registrars were to contact me withing 24 hours.

This is a totally f*cked system of using a horde of f*cked resellers.

companyone

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi Hope...
I will only accept the results of the FEDS, has anyone found out if they got involved?

I called the RCMP twice regarding this matter and have not received any callbacks!

Obama has the "Feds" choking off the banks, Wall street, and the energy sector,.and any other company's to take control of next ....

Also planning the next 1k+ new taxes on small business's and plain old Americans....Takes up a lot of time.

SEC did not even have time for "Bernie" and now they are too busy trying to bury "Goldmen-Sacs".

They have no time for this.

____

Peace!
Dan

Last edited:

GAMEFINEST

PURE SAVAGE
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
oh snaps

BobDiGiTaL

Domain Lover
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
SnapNames acquires expiring domain names and then sells them to the highest bidder, keeping a percentage for itself.
who gets the other percentage?
The allegations have been a hot topic in the domain name business since SnapNames disclosed the alleged auction manipulation last fall. Indeed, some domain name buyers had suspicions about Alvarez's activity before then.
and why wasn't my name cited in this article?
november of '05, I am the original domaingang.
actnow and mike031 what were you guys smoking back then?
http://www.dnforum.com/f31/do-you-know-pool-com-snapname-com-member-halvarez-thread-123089.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom