Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Traffic - Miami 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.

domaingirl

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
DomainGirl, you need a reality check.
You got 40 selected. I don't know which domains were selected and the quality of them.
But, I would be thankful that you got 40 domains in the live or silent auction.

Don't get me wrong - I am so . . .thankful. And I don't think I said that it's not worth my time. I really want to go, but there are lots of factors involved - mosly personal.

It was said above that only 1% of the domain at the silent auction are sold. I haven't heard back from Moniker yet about which auction the domains are in, but I assume that the majority of them are going to be in the silent one just because there are so many more domains in the silent auction.

If it was closer to home and someone could take care of my kids for 4 days, I would love to go - it actually sounds like a lot of fun. Have you been before? Is it fun?

actnow

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If it was closer to home and someone could take care of my kids for 4 days, I would love to go - it actually sounds like a lot of fun. Have you been before? Is it fun?

I'm like a bad penny - I just keep showing up.

That is the only reason I go. It is just one big party.
:lol:

The top domainers in the industry attend Traffic.
The conference is extremely informative.

Plus, you have the chance to meet and learn from some of the great domainers like DCG.

And, I don't take it personally when they say "get away from me !!! "

domaingirl

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I am planning to attend this Traffic conference. Only so DCG will buy me a drink.

You mean for $2K, it's not open bar at the parties? Not that I even drink . . . just curious.

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
You mean for $2K, it's not open bar at the parties? Not that I even drink . . . just curious.

The last I asked about this, it was open bar, But what DCG is trying to put together is outside the convention, anyone member here can go.

As for the $2K admission, well that's just pure greed, and if you add the Hotel, Flight, Car rental and other expenses, your looking at 10K for this trip. In Rick's owns words, anybody not willing to pay this amount of money to attend his conference are; quote "Time Wasters"

Charging an amount based on what the attendee can potentially earn is WRONG, After emailing Rick and asking him why the high admission, you will quickly conclude that this is what he's doing...But its his show, is it worth it? it depends on each person and what they want to get out of it. For me, DRT would be more beneficial. I've attended nearly 100 conventions, and this is by far the most pricey, but Rick says he and Howard will greet each attendee at the door, If I'm spending this kind of money, I want Brad Pitt at my hotel door doing a lot more than greeting. ;)

MediaHound

Former DNF Admin
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

There will be plenty of free drinks.
And the meals are all first class... breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

Not only are there going to be free drinks, theres usually plenty of other freebies such as when the tradeshow took over Gameworks in Las Vegas everyone got to play for free, transportation back and forth...
The focus isn't really supposed to be whats free, though. The main attraction is putting yourself in the mix with like-minded peers and sponsors hungry for your business, which has proven over and over life-changing for the people that participate.
Traffic is a priceless experience in many aspects, it would take days, if even possible, to sum it all up.

clemzonguy

Domain Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
As for the $2K admission, well that's just pure greed

FYI there are early bird admission prices for those who take the time to plan ahead. This year I got in very early and received an early, early bird price, which helped make it more affordable for me. Even at $2K you need to factor in the cost of this event, meals, networking, and other benefits. If you spend $2K and make $5K in increased revenue or sales the next year would that make it worth your time? You cannot simply expect an event of this magnitude to come at no cost.

and if you add the Hotel, Flight, Car rental and other expenses, your looking at 10K for this trip

This estimate is WAY off. You can get a flight out of most major airports for pennies on the dollar. Car rentals aren't that expensive and some websites even offer flight/car rental deals. The Westin hotel's have a reputations for being top-notch. I've stayed at several and with the Starwood program you can even earn points for free nights and other great benefits. Group rates are also offered. You could even stay at a cheaper motel and drive if you wanted to save money; it's not a requirement to stay there. Would you honestly expect this type of event to take place at a budget conference center? If you are looking for something like that please by all means join a group called Quixtar.

In Rick's owns words, anybody not willing to pay this amount of money to attend his conference are; quote "Time Wasters"

I completely agree with the overwhelming consensus (shared by many) to filter out the "noise" associated with other events. Every year I read the same threads with the same rhetoric. If you want a free show please by all means attend e-comm expo. At the end of the conference see if you really learned anything of value. And then see how many companies spam you the next couple of weeks with products and services you don't want.

is it worth it?

• Steve Forbes - Keynote Speaker
  • Largest Live Domain Auction Ever
  • Networking Opportunities
  • Seminars
  • Domain Lawyers
  • Industry Professionals
  • Sponsors
  • Registrars
  • A week in Miami, FL
  • Etc...

Rick says he and Howard will greet each attendee at the door

Great! That will give us each a chance to thank him for all his hard work and effort in making these types of events such a success. In his own words: "T.R.A.F.F.I.C. came to be when there was no industry in an effort to establish one. ...we played a substantial role in making the conditions for that to become a reality" (source: DnJournal Traffic East 2007 Preview article). The article goes further to note that "T.R.A.F.F.I.C. played a major role in not only exposing domain investing but has also helped to drive prices." We no longer rely on hearsay, complacency, rumors, and lies, but instead turn to solid facts, real actions, and true results.

If I'm spending this kind of money, I want Brad Pitt at my hotel door

There are several fan conventions and benefits where you can pay money to meet celebrities.

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
If you spend $2K and make $5K in increased revenue or sales the next year would that make it worth your time?

Your sounding like Rick now, Your trying to justify the admission price based on attendees potential earnings, it's not anyone's business what attendees can or cannot make, What assurance does TRAFFIC give that attendees will earn enough of a return to pay for the trip? I already asked and the answer was NONE.

You cannot simply expect an event of this magnitude to come at no cost.

Where the heck did I say I wanted it at no cost? Why not set a reasonable price? $500-$1000 would be acceptable to most... When you make it unaffordable, you single out a lot of people, hard working domainers trying to get ahead, the ones Rick refers to as "Time Wasters".

This estimate is WAY off.

When you meet Rick at the door, you can tell him how far off HE is, the 10k figure came out of his mouth at Vegas Internext. I know what it costs to travel, last month I returned from a 5 day stay in Orlando Florida, total expense for the entire trip was over 8K and I didn't have to pay 2K to get into Disneyworld.

I'm sure its a great convention and I hope all of you get the most out of it, But personally, I can think of more beneficial places to spend $10,000 of my hard earned money, and I don't need to beg for permission to do it.

actnow

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Your estimate of 10K says more about your resentment towards Rick than being factual.

Early Bird cost. $ 1,500.
Hotel* $ 1,200.
Food and Drink** $ 0.
Car Rental*** $ 0.
Airport Trans. (2) $ 40.
Airfare*** (RT) $ 150 - $ 5,000.

* As Clem said, you can stay at a cheaper place. But, you will have to pay to park.
** Very rare. Food and Drink are supplied most of the time.
*** You only need a car rental if you stay someplace else.
**** It all depends how far you have to travel. That is not Rick's fault.

I figure it will cost me $ 3,000 to attend.

The Westin Diplomat is top of the line hotel. I'm sorry to tell you but executives that make 6, 7 or 8 figures a year do not want to stay at the Red Roof.

If you are a major player or would like to be a major domainer (like me), $ 3K is cheap.
If you can't afford it then don't go.

Business executives in other industries pay much more to associate with their major peers.

The Icann meeting is in LA the end of October, it doesn't cost anything to attend.
Maybe, you can associate with some of your peers there.

It will cost you to park at the LAX Hilton. And, you will have to pay for your own food and drinks.
For others, it will cost to stay in the hotel plus airfare but you apparently live in that area.

izoot

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Raider said:
Your sounding like Rick now, Your trying to justify the admission price based on attendees potential earnings, it's not anyone's business what attendees can or cannot make, What assurance does TRAFFIC give that attendees will earn enough of a return to pay for the trip? I already asked and the answer was NONE.

Raider the bottomline really is that if you're unhappy with the price,
then you have the ability to choose not to attend. As to justification of
the price its been laid out and gone over endlessly and as someone
that has attended a fair number of TRAFFIC conferences I can add that
I haven't come away unhappy that I spent the money to be there.

As to what opportunities there are to make money ... just a few are being able to meet other domainers and building relationships that lead to sales, purchases, partnerships, friendships, could be selling domains in the auction, could be learning something at the seminars that allow you to increase your income.

You get from these conference what you want to get from them ... you have to make the effort to make things happen and this conference gives you some opportunities to advance. But alas, there are no guarantees in life ... and in any case it really doesn't seem
to matter what you are told about the conference ... you've been one
to jump on the Traffic bashing wagon from day one. Which is your choice but it really make more sense if you had some first hand experience before you talked others out of attending or claiming the
cost too high. There are MANY conferences that cost more and give less.

Where the heck did I say I wanted it at no cost? Why not set a reasonable price? $500-$1000 would be acceptable to most... When you make it unaffordable, you single out a lot of people, hard working domainers trying to get ahead, the ones Rick refers to as "Time Wasters".

Why does Rick have to "make it affordable" or "dumb down" the event
to meet everyones needs? He established the conference and knows
the targeted audience for it. Its his perogative to price it for what
he feels is appropriate. You talk like people have some inherent
right to be there and Rick is the bad guy keeping them out. The invite
only aspect is pretty much irrelevant ... I've yet to hear of one person
turned away that was willing to play by all the rules the rest of us do.

When you meet Rick at the door, you can tell him how far off HE is, the 10k figure came out of his mouth at Vegas Internext. I know what it costs to travel, last month I returned from a 5 day stay in Orlando Florida, total expense for the entire trip was over 8K and

Well again ... as someone who has been to many of these shows ... it's never cost me ANYWHERE near 10k and those friends I know that have traveled from Austrailis to be at the shows it has not cost them near that much. Of course what you do, eat, drink, entertain, gamble on your time has nothing to do with traffic costs.

I didn't have to pay 2K to get into Disneyworld.

No you get to pay $50-$70 a day and then get to stand in 2 hour lines
and buy $5 cokes and $20 mouse ears and $100 meals ... you should
contact Disney corporate and have a chat with
them. :)

I'm sure its a great convention and I hope all of you get the most out of it, But personally, I can think of more beneficial places to spend $10,000 of my hard earned money, and I don't need to beg for permission to do it.

Again .. never heard of anyone having to "beg" for permission ... as the shows have progress they have gotten larger and more diverse in the
attendees from largest to smallest domainers. The only ones not in attendence tend to be the ones complaining the loudest and never intending to go in any case. ( Of course there are some personal issues
and conflicts between Rick and some domainers that have made it
a conflict in attending ... but that would probably be a non issue if these
folks didn't publically air their personal issues with the show organizer. They could just as easily held their tongues and attended the shows and
never crossed paths with Rick or Howard. But to each their own.

Not defending Rick or Howard or anyone ... just the fact that there is
no one that is "entitled" to be able to attend this show. We all pay the
same price ... and if you don't want too or can't then that is not TRAFFICs fault or responsibility to make up for.

Make sure you get to Domainsponsors show in LA if its only price that is
an issue ... Domainfest is an excellent show as well and is I think like
$700 to attend ... so it will leave you plenty of money to play with.

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Your estimate of 10K says more about your resentment towards Rick than being factual.

Do you people not read?

I stated very clearly that it was RICK who quoted the 10k figure, not me. He stated it costs 5K-10K to attend one of his conventions, and that anyone who is not willing to pay that are quote: "Time Wasters", HE said that, it came out his mouth and not mine, so if you have a problem with it, take it up with him!

As for the expenses, your not taking into count couples, I would of course attend with my husband, who is also into domaining, Plus its not the just the travel expense of attending one of these shows that you lose, and you know that.

you've been one to jump on the Traffic bashing wagon from day one.

Really? Please tell what bashing I have done? I never bashed these conventions, so get your facts straight before posting ignorant statements like these.

izoot

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Really? Please tell what bashing I have done? I never bashed these conventions, so get your facts straight before posting ignorant statements like these.

Whatever Raider ... it's not worth the time to argue this and I have no desire to fight with you over something so silly.

The reality of the situation is ... Prices are what they are ... and if you want to attend you get to pay what the promoters ask and others pay. Neither you, nor I or anyone else has any rights to demand they lower the prices and as to the invite only policy ... that may have applied literally the first one or 2 but hasn't seemed to prevent anyone from attending that really wanted to go. ( People having personal issues with Rick aside thats something completely different ). Which if they had
issues with him and didn't want to deal with him they could EASILY
not run into him but once at the sign in table and then they could wait til
he walks away to go there.

I think you will find that many of those that wished to attend the conference and did. And if you asked any of them who attended the last 1-2-3-4 shows they will tell you there was no gold leaf invite at their door or evite in their mailbox ... it was they went to the site and signed up and paid the rate. And I don't recall many complaining they
didn't get their moneys worth.

I would love for it to be cheaper ... but its not going to happen and its not worth wasting energy over or getting others all worked up over. There are other cheaper domain show that are great. DRT, Domainfest
and are well worth traveling to be at. So let it go ... it will give ya grey hair.

Have a nice night.

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Neither you, nor I or anyone else has any rights to demand they lower the prices and as to the invite only policy

I don't where I demanded lower prices, where did that one come from? I can say that the price is inflated because it is, anyone who attends conventions on a regular basis can easily draw that conclusion... I do feel it should be lowered to make it more affordable so others can attend, this far from a demand.

People like you have no problem firing off false and misleading statements, you wrongfully accused me of bashing traffic and now your grasping at something else, When your proven wrong, you make NO admission and NO apology for it, its just "Whatever Raider" and "Let it go". Just the kind of person I want to be networking with... :rolleyes:

There are other cheaper domain show that are great. DRT, Domainfest and are well worth traveling to be at.

I know about these, I had a schedule conflict with DRT this year and unfortunately couldn't make it, After reading the DRT article on DNJ, it became one of my biggest regrets of the year not attending. :yes:

izoot

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hmmm ... people like me. I see ... Well, that explains everything.

ShaunP

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hmmm ... people like me. I see ... Well, that explains everything.

That's okay Ira, I still love ya. Besides, you know how THEY are... ;)

izoot

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
That's okay Ira, I still love ya. Besides, you know how THEY are... ;)

:) I'm so misunderstood .... and thanks buddy.

Where the hell ya been hiding ... shoot me over a call.

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
2k is ridiculous...I could buy a dozen tickets but on the principal alone I would'nt waste my money...I'll be watching from nearby :cool:

PRED

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
2k is ridiculous...I could buy a dozen tickets but on the principal alone I would'nt waste my money...I'll be watching from nearby ;)

agreed. ;)

and at a venue like that, the hookers would be way overpriced :smilewinkgrin:

domaingirl

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I would love for it to be cheaper ... but its not going to happen and its not worth wasting energy over or getting others all worked up over.

Wow! I didn't mean to start something like this . . . I just asked what the conference is like and wanted some opinions.

As for getting people all worked up. Raider didn't get me worked up. You seem to be the only one that got worked up :) But I do appreciate your opinion as well as Raiders.

I'm a smart woman and can take everyone's opinions and make my own decision. So thank you all for the helpful info.

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if TRAFFIC is allowing free admission to Monikers Live auction? I liked what DRT did when they opened the Live Auction up to everyone at no charge....Many domain buyers have little interest in the convention and only want to attend the auction, so I think it would be very beneficial to this group, and draw in more buyers at the same time.

Wow! I didn't mean to start something like this.

It had very little to do with you DomanGirl, Whenever someone voices their opinion that is critical of any business, they read ony what they want to read, overreacting, followed by false accusations. And if your a Woman, your an even bigger target.....Try not to ever let them detour you from speaking out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom