Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

news Was there a Hack/Data Breach at Epik?

accurate

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hello,

We are contacting you to notify you of an urgent security notice. Despite the extensive security practices we use to protect our platforms and customer information, we have confirmed an unauthorized intrusion into some of our domain-related systems.

We have mobilized the full force of multiple cyber security teams to assess the scope of this intrusion. We are taking aggressive action to completely secure and remediate all potentially affected systems, while complying with all applicable laws. As we work to confirm all related details, we are taking an approach toward maximum caution and urging customers to remain alert for any unusual activity they may observe regarding their information used for our services – this may include payment information including credit card numbers, registered names, usernames, emails, and passwords.

At this time, we have not confirmed that your card information has been compromised. As a precautionary measure, you may choose to contact any credit card companies that you used to transact with Epik and notify them of a potential data compromise to discuss your options with them directly. Should you observe any unauthorized activity, please document and report it immediately.

We are notifying you because we consider your privacy and security our single greatest priority. Our mission to provide legendary service to all customers remains unchanged. We appreciate your support as we work through the full resolution of this situation, and we will continue to provide you with ongoing updates as we learn more.

Thank you,

Epik Security Team

Email from Epik.

Domain summit 2024

DomainsGENERAL.com

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I just noticed my Epik "domain marketplace" (the one appearing in my signature) wasn't working anymore. After inquiring with the support, domain marketplaces (aka "domain portals") are currently deactivated due to "extra security measures". They told me they expect them to be enabled back in 2 or 3 days.

Neoget

Level 5
Reaction score
I hope the hackers will be punished by laws, if not then I know a way to punish them, but if I do that no one will help them, no gov entity will be able to save them.
The example is COVID-19 see how it worked it even touched me, but I knew it will happen so I was ready for it.

accurate

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There is a reason I keep all my domain registrations private. Most people don't like domain investors.

I keep this hobby and knowledge to myself in my unrelated full-time job. For the most part, people don't find it impressive.

It's very upsetting that all this data leaked. I get these hacks can happen... but damn the Epik security practices were bad.

I used to give Epik the benefit of the doubt. I don't know if that's possible now.

mvl

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Wait wait, I just found out through 'Have I been pwned' that my data are part of the Epik breach. But, the email address (it is one of my actual email addresses) is different from what I use here, and I have never created an account directly with Epik. What is going on here?

Haris8008

Level 4
Reaction score
I got 2000 market visits on two of my domains registered with Epik in just 3 days upon checking ip addresses they were coming through VPNs of google and amazon, so locked my domain and deleted all external domains on epik until they find a solution.

accurate

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure deleting anything will do much at this point. I would update passwords and enable 2FA though. @Haris8008

accurate

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Wait wait, I just found out through 'Have I been pwned' that my data are part of the Epik breach. But, the email address (it is one of my actual email addresses) is different from what I use here, and I have never created an account directly with Epik. What is going on here?

Unsure. It seems part of the data was whois info not just from Epik though.

You use different emails for websites?

DomainsGENERAL.com

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
but damn the Epik security practices were bad.
You can take it both way (it was a mistake which can happen / it was a stupid mistake and they should have known better - They are regularly "spammed" by people having supposedly found a security issue / They should have paid the guy to hear what he had to say), but I find this article from Techcrunch interesting:

Excerpt: "Leo told TechCrunch that a library used on Epik’s WHOIS page for generating PDF reports of public domain records had a decade-old vulnerability that allowed anyone to remotely run code directly on the internal server without any authentication, such as a company password."

It isn't necessarily "security practices" as a whole, even if that's what the haters want now everybody to believe.

DomainsGENERAL.com

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I got 2000 market visits on two of my domains
Why would you care? And maybe there were some legitimate potential buyers in there.
I personally use VPNs all the time, and I'm not alone.
I don't really understand the move and what you were concerned about, here.

DomainsGENERAL.com

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Maybe you registered with any one of their related service with this email address. NameLiquidate, for example?

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm going to take a shot in the dark and say that it is from whois data.

Sterling

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

As a result of Rob's actions, everyone's accounts have been pwned. I can not support this forum any longer knowing who runs the show now and what they stand for. This forum was a mess before he got here and now it's even more of a mess. This forum is a failure again. I used to love coming here and meeting others in the industry. Now it's a ghost town. I'm not here to argue. I'm here just to voice my opinion. Best of luck to all those that stick around, but I'm finally out. I have never and will never register a name with epik. It's not the hackers that gives domainers a bad name, it's people like Rob and his decisions that do. Karma hurts. He got what he asked for. This will not be the last time unless he stands for the right thing.​

You've been pwned!​

You signed up for notifications when your account was pwned in a data breach and unfortunately, it's happened. Here's what's known about the breach:

Email found:sterling@*****.com
Breach:Epik
Date of breach:13 Sep 2021
Number of accounts:15,003,961
Compromised data:Email addresses, Names, Phone numbers, Physical addresses, Purchases
Description:In September 2021, the domain registrar and web host Epik suffered a significant data breach, allegedly in retaliation for hosting alt-right websites. The breach exposed a huge volume of data not just of Epik customers, but also scraped WHOIS records belonging to individuals and organisations who were not Epik customers. The data included over 15 million unique email addresses (including anonymised versions for domain privacy), names, phone numbers, physical addresses, purchases and passwords stored in various formats.

DomainsGENERAL.com

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I have never and will never register a name with epik.
And the hack changed absolutely nothing about this.
Keep on hating.

Neoget

Level 5
Reaction score
It would be good for Epik to add some kind of password protection or 2FA for every domain lock, so that before it is unlocked you would have to input a password which can be sent by SMS, e-mail or app on mobile.

accurate

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It would be good for Epik to add some kind of password protection or 2FA for every domain lock, so that before it is unlocked you would have to input a password which can be sent by SMS, e-mail or app on mobile.

Not sure I understand.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Publicly available info? 🤔
Seems like that's what people are up in arms about. A lot of people screaming that their data was leaked when it's readily available for anyone to do a whois on. Let's just all pretend that there aren't tools that we as domain name investors don't use on a daily basis that keeps this same data as a cache...

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators