Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

news Was there a Hack/Data Breach at Epik?

Domain summit 2024

accurate

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Crazy valued 4 letters?

Unless they are a dictionary term I don't often see any crazy valued 4 letter domains. Most of them go for under 2k and the oddballs often sell in the 2-$400 dollar range.

Unless by crazy you mean undervalued?

I have a pronounceable 4 letter .com asking 7.5k and no takers.
At one time I had it at 2.5k and considering it is a very nice pronounceable that was a bargain.

Anyways, I decided to hold it until 7.5k was a sale so I am not sure what you mean by crazy value.

Really depends. I've seen pronounceable 4L go for a lot of money.

@serosoft

accurate

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm seeing in the data leak the hackers claim I have only 2 domains registered with Epik under my company name.

This is a wildly inaccurate number. I have many more domains listed, registered, etc. with Epik. 😄

@robmonster Can you confirm these are in fact just back-ups of the server? And the date the breach occurred of the backups?

This would be useful for all of us to know.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm seeing in the data leak the hackers claim I have only 2 domains registered with Epik under my company name.
I didn't see which domains were exposed; I just assumed they all were. I had one domain that I purchased in a CPC portfolio that I was embarrassed to have but it made $100-200/yr so I kept it (as it could never really sell). I ended up getting in contact with Epik to have it removed/deleted from my account so I no longer have it though.

accurate

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I didn't see which domains were exposed; I just assumed they all were.
I haven't seen that either. Unless from far right wing groups.

I believe the backup is from June 2020. So anything added after that wouldn't show I assume.
I had one domain that I purchased in a CPC portfolio that I was embarrassed to have but it made $100-200/yr so I kept it (as it could never really sell).
I have one like that. I believe we all do.

Neoget

Level 5
Reaction score
@robmonster, can you clarify or expound on how migrating "shitty code" (your words) to a new platform will make a difference? Thanks.
The answer is another question.
When a thief hacks into your house to steal, do you sell your house and buy/build a new one or you just change the lock and strengthen the security of the whole house?

Tom K.

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
When a thief hacks into your house to steal, do you sell your house and buy/build a new one or you just change the lock and strengthen the security of the whole house?
LOL. Sounds like he moved the same house with the same lack of security to a new neighborhood. Perhaps with the thieves still hiding inside. Just asking for clarity. Not some obscure analogy.

Tom K.

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

LOL. Sounds like he moved the same house with the same lack of security to a new neighborhood. Perhaps with the thieves still hiding inside. Just asking for clarity. Not some obscure analogy.

And BTW, the code is the security system or lack thereof which was how the "thieves" were able to break in. Because it was "shitty code", as Rob put it.

Tom K.

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

In your analogy, the house is the data. The code, the security system.

mr-x

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen that either. Unless from far right wing groups.

I believe the backup is from June 2020. So anything added after that wouldn't show I assume.

I have one like that. I believe we all do.

I let powerballnumber.com expire. Used to get 10K hits / month and more when the jackpot got high. My mother-in-law ( a saint ) told me to get rid of it. Took me a couple of years to actually do it.

Hasn't made a difference in my income.

accurate

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

I'd imagine Epik will be very secure after having to spend a lot of money on cybersecurity.

accurate

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I let powerballnumber.com expire. Used to get 10K hits / month and more when the jackpot got high. My mother-in-law ( a saint ) told me to get rid of it. Took me a couple of years to actually do it.

Hasn't made a difference in my income.

That's a dicey one. I would have started an email newsletter for lottery or something.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I let powerballnumber.com expire.
I can get behind gambling and would've kept this. But, I can see if you know someone affected by gambling, you might not want it.
I'd imagine Epik will be very secure after having to spend a lot of money on cybersecurity.
People demanding answers right now don't quite understand how multimillion dollar companies work and it shows. If people want answers, only a suggestion as I'm not speaking for Epik or Rob, someone should consolidate all the questions into one post. It might come quicker as there's 140 pages on NamePros with the majority of it being trash posting that needs sifted. However, it might not and it might come when Rob can (don't assume that just because a person is a CEO that they can answer you right away—you often hear "let me get back to you" with an easy question that anyone could answer). But with a consolidated post, it'd be easier to respond than have the same question asked 10 different ways.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom