Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

news Was there a Hack/Data Breach at Epik?

mr-x

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
No they don't.

Edit: Not since 2016

ICANN.org

Edit: this is supposed to be a professional forum right? I'd think most people are exactly aware of where to find ICANN and their policies.

Verisign locks domains for two month after registration.

GoDaddy and other used to lock domain on a registration change, then added a way to override the lock. According to Godaddy's documentation, all domains are locked after a transfer or registration.

Big question, were your domains registered or transferred to Epik in the last 60 days? Sorry if I missed that info.

** found it:

"I have another thread here about an expired domain purchase. Same issue, support won't unlock my domain."

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2021-11-16 15-54-35.png
    Screenshot from 2021-11-16 15-54-35.png
    176.9 KB · Views: 5
Domain summit 2024

Level 4
Reaction score
Big question, were your domains registered or transferred to Epik in the last 60 days? Sorry if I missed that info.

No problem. Have been rambling for a bit :)

No. Aged domains At Epik. Owned by Epik then bought from Epik directly.

Level 4
Reaction score
Verisign locks domains for two month after registration.

Which is fine. Some may think otherwise but that's ICANN regulation so non negotiable.

GoDaddy and other used to lock domain on a registration change, then added a way to override the lock. According to Godaddy's documentation, all domains are locked after a transfer or registration.

Yes, since 2016, when ICANN updated/changed their regulation.

Level 4
Reaction score
Then you are 100% right. Just ignore everything else I said :0

Note People. This takes balls. This day and age you won't come across people admitting they were wrong that much. Respect to you sir!

mr-x

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Note People. This takes balls. This day and age you won't come across people admitting they were wrong that much. Respect to you sir!

Godaddy does the same thing on a auction purchase. I've never tried to have it released early. I'm guessing epik is doing the same thing. Not really a new registration, but there it is.

1637109026681.png

Level 4
Reaction score
Godaddy does the same thing on a auction purchase. I've never tried to have it released early. I'm guessing epik is doing the same thing. Not really a new registration, but there it is.

You could be right about that. Haven't needed to look into GD for a long time as I have been trying my best to avoid them for the past decade :)

mr-x

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You could be right about that. Haven't needed to look into GD for a long time as I have been trying my best to avoid them for the past decade :)

Technically, It's not a registration because the domain doesn't delete, the process is an account transfer.

Pretty sure Namejet works the same way.

DomainsGENERAL.com

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Bit offtopic. Hacks happen every day. Can't see why this would be relevant to epik's hack.
You must be kidding, right? ;)
It's funny because it seems high level sarcasm, but yet, it looks like you're serious...
Globally (from some people, at least): When it's Epik it's bad security, they didn't do what was required, etc. When it's GoDaddy, it's "well, that happens every day, nothing to see here". Lol.

accurate

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Pretty much, but Epik security was pretty bad.

Globally (from some people, at least): When it's Epik it's bad security, they didn't do what was required, etc. When it's GoDaddy, it's "well, that happens every day, nothing to see here". Lol.

Started another thread on the GD breach.

Level 4
Reaction score
You must be kidding, right? ;)
It's funny because it seems high level sarcasm, but yet, it looks like you're serious...

No, not kidding. Different kind of hack. Nothing to do with how/why/to what extent Epik was hacked. Totally unrelated, hence offtopic.

That being said, GD stored passwords in plain text as well by the looks of it. Another shitshow deserving it's own tread.

DomainsGENERAL.com

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
No, not kidding. Different kind of hack. Nothing to do with how/why/to what extent Epik was hacked.
Yeah, I was pretty sure you weren't kidding.
"Nothing to do with why"!? Oh. Please elaborate. So, basically it's a bit Epik's fault if they were hacked? (as to the "why", not speaking of how they did handle their security). Being a proponent of free speech is bad and warrants that you get hacked? For which you will also be blamed and denigrated. But when GoDaddy gets hacked, that's perfectly OK. it's none of their fault. It happens "every day". And they do follow the "cancel culture" agenda to the letter, after all.

Man, you manage to make all this work in your own head. I bet you do. It even seems logical and quite evident to you, doesn't it?

Tom K.

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
"Nothing to do with why"!? Oh. Please elaborate. So, basically it's a bit Epik's fault if they were hacked? (as to the "why", not speaking of how they did handle their security). Being a proponent of free speech is bad and warrants that you get hacked? For which you will also be blamed and denigrated. But when GoDaddy gets hacked, that's perfectly OK. it's none of their fault. It happens "every day". And they do follow the "cancel culture" agenda to the letter, after all.

Man, you manage to make all this work in your own head. I bet you do. It even seems logical and quite evident to you, doesn't it?
No it is not OK that GoDaddy got hacked. Epik was made aware since Feb that they had a security hole but did nothing and still appears nothing has been done to fix it. We can only presume since there are almost no updates. The hackers were roaming in the backend for many months. Hate speech is not free speech. Do you want to open that can of worms? GD's hack appears to be limited to their managed WordPress service. This is not unexpected since vps and shared hosting is only as secure as the weakest link. This means that if a user does not secure their website(s), has weak login credentials, and/or engages in shady behavior, this can expose other users on the same server or network and make it easier for hackers to exploit the network. When I first started out and was using shared hosting, my sites occasionally would be down for many days, if not weeks because of another user. We can also safely say that the attack was not targeted because of any controversial views or activities of the CEO. Epik's CEO has a laundry list and a history. In any event, it is not ok.

DomainsGENERAL.com

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
No it is not OK that GoDaddy got hacked
You meant Epik and that's a very telling mistake, or you didn't even mean to answer the actual subject in the first place? (The subject was not if a hack was "OK" or not, but if the one being hacked had to be blamed for it or not. Aka "blame the victim": Which is done with Epik. But it seems the same people doing it are defending GoDaddy. Or that's what you're just doing, by not having even understood the matter which was raised?)

Hate speech is not free speech
Oh, and WHO decides what is what, exactly? THAT can of worm, I wouldn't want to open. But it is wide open since a while. The idea is that if you can label some speech as something you don't want or like, it isn't free anymore. The "hate" (of free speech) is actually this idea of "hate speech". Well, you sure can have an opinion about what is said, as long as it stays that. When there are actions taken to try to silence the supposed "hate speech", there is no free speech anymore.

What you just said is some hate speech, right? (There truly is an argument it is: It is just your hate of Epik and the people involved with it which is shown). You should then be hacked, silenced and denigrated according to the views of some people.

So, blame again Epik by throwing in some wild unsubstantiated guesses ("The hackers were roaming in the backend for many months": Nothing actually substantiate this if I'm not mistaken + "They were made aware": There was someone asking for MONEY to tell them something. You have to put the situation in perspective if you have a minimum of intellectual honesty. Oh wait, it's right that's not your strong suit [Only my personal opinion]) and then blame GoDaddy's USERS. Seriously? It was at GoDaddy level, not at the user level. But I guess some people will do anything to defend the "friends" and denigrate the others they don't like. It's probably easier when you lack any honesty.

Epik's CEO has a laundry list and a history.
But that has nothing to do with the hack, or what? Why do you mention this now? It was just "free" to throw in there, or there is a link with the hack? And... it's maybe a bit of the victim's fault?

In any event, it is not ok.
So, this last sentence is now talking of Epik or not? You could also make a clear sentence including "Epik" in it.... (that you feel it wasn't OK would already be something better than what I'm thinking of you. That would be good).

Don't expect any more time and energy from me to answer any further message from you. Cheers.

Tom K.

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The subject was not if a hack was "OK" or not, but if the one being hacked had to be blamed for it or not. Aka "blame the victim": Which is done with Epik. But it seems the same people doing it are defending GoDaddy. Or that's what you're just doing, by not having even understood the matter which was raised?
Well, if the hacked entity has made serious mistakes in obvious security protocols, then some of the blame lies with the said entity. And believe me, GoDaddy is not off the hook. You are expecting the same amount of posts as for Epik but in a much shorter span of time. I don't know of anyone defending GoDaddy.
But that has nothing to do with the hack, or what? Why do you mention this now? It was just "free" to throw in there, or there is a link with the hack? And... it's maybe a bit of the victim's fault?
And yes, the Epik CEO has done and said very questionable things that have drawn attention from a very specific group of hacktivists. Not to mention the "shitty code" and being made aware of the security flaw back at the beginning of the year and still there is no indication that it has been fixed. Plus people are pissed off for other reasons as well.

I am not even going to begin the debate about free speech with you. Plenty has been debated over that and I don't want to waste my time.

Level 4
Reaction score

I never said it was ok for Epik to get hacked nor did I say it was their fault. Makes no difference in regards to the reasons why they got hacked.

We all know why they were singled out. GoDaddy? Whole different story. Other kind of hack, different motives, less damage. Still bad though.

Nothing to get wound up about. I have no opinion here, just stating facts.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom