Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

For Sale Well It's Offical....

Status
Not open for further replies.

StockDoctor

** Mr. Pink **
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by strongvis
stock can you please answer my question about the names buydomains has gotten that were ones you wanted.

You could read my post above on that. I really don't have the time to go back over my files. I'd have to go over several lists and add them in the database again and run them thru the whois. I'm taking too much time dealing with this debate with 4 guys on one side and me on the other. Just take my word for it.

If that's still not good enough (should be, I can give a ton of references on this forum to back me up), I will put in the work. I would ask that you do the same. Lets go back maybe 2 or 3 months. For every good name that you show me that you beat BuyDomains on, I'll show you a better one, where they beat me on. Whoever has the most, gets 100 DNF$ per name.

Got to make it worth my time. If this doesn't sound fair, let me know. I consider myself a man of reason and will adjust it.

StockDoctor

** Mr. Pink **
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Shiftlock

Probably the same reason many of us are - it will drastically reduce the number of domains that drop, and completely eliminate the good dropping names. Almost all good names that drop are dropped by accident by the previous owner. I bet a good number of domain holders will also have the WLS on their domains. No doubt it will be marketed to domain holders as a sort of "protection" for their domains.

Some good points there Shift. I just disagree with the motives of BuyDomains. I think their reason is that their costs will multiply and as it stands now, they don't have much to fear from the likes of snapnames, et al. They can still take the name if you have a snap, or nw or most everyone else. (Dropwizard and DropKing have a small shot, but at least they have a shot) Comes down to scripts and booked registrar connections that make them the Boogeyman. On the other hand, they will have something to fear from thousands of people putting on wls slots. If you got those, they can't blow those away, and they aren't gonna buy all of them either.

Kid Kool

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by stocdoctor

My domain business is being confiscated every day through all these sweetheart deals that the big players have sown up with registrars. That's just the way it is. I just think that the wls will handicap these actions somewhat.

there is a huge difference between competing in the current open market system of research, partnerships and tactics and the WLS system of harnessing the power of government to punish those who are having success. The current "survival of the fittest" model
is the best because it self regulates. Think of dropcatching like a card game. The best players usually win. Even though there is a great deal of chance involved, there are techniques of maximizing your odds of winning a name just as there are strategies involved in poker.

Now you may not have the money or the connections that Buydomains have, but that itself can be an advantage for you if analyzed properly. The fact that they have the money and registrar connections they do means they can pick up hundreds of solid names in a drop. However, this also means they are unlikely to "zoom in" on a great name since they monitor so many at once. Buydomains picks up hundreds of names in the drops, but they almost always lose the "wow" names.

I know I can beat BuyDomains or Ultsearch etc to snaps on my chosen names, but when it comes down to drop day (or several days before if they use one of their sweetheart deals), they regularly beat me and I would imagine most. If I can beat them to snaps etc, I figure I can beat them to slots in the wls. If I beat them to snaps etc, I lose, if I beat them to wls slots, they lose. Simple as that.

No it's not as simple as that. I thought i already explained this in detail. If you are lucky enough to beat them to a WLS slot (which will not be anywhere near as easy as beating them to a snap since the stakes will be higher when that is the only option), the odds are just as great that as the time gets close to the drop date the name will be renewed. More likely is that a new business model will develop with companies buying in bulk directly from registrant after registrant and using unprecedented means to contact the hard to locate ones. Keep in mind the grace period will likely be much longer then the brief period you have to wait now. Five or six months eaten into your subscription, and you lose out at the last minute. I see a whole new generation of complainers on the horizon, and then these same people will be calling for a system even more totalitarian than wls.

Why is it that Buydomains is protesting the wls? I never seem to get an answer to that one.

I imagine because buydomains, like the rest of us, think freedom and self regulation are the way to go. Buydomains has invested money, and research, and i'm sure they are not comfortable with the power of government being harnessed to reward those who have failed to do the research necessary to succeed. It won't work anyway, because those who are a step behind now, will be a step behind those who can adapt. Instead of relying on someone to change the rules because you are losing, you should be continuing to make improvements in your technique and strategy. I have lost a lot of domains in the last several months, but in retrospect they were names "I" didn't put enough effort into obtaining. Ironically i have lost 90% of the names to snapback or members of this board who were using other methods.

For the record...
recent names caught by snap:

Freemarket.com
Cuties.com
ad.net
swapper.com
shopper.net
downloads.net

:)

Cartoonz

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
kidkool,

That last post of yours earned my respect.

Bravo

Kid Kool

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Cartoonz
kidkool,

That last post of yours earned my respect.

Bravo

thank you for the kind words:)

by the way, i got messageboards.net in the drop today,
and buydomains didn't.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I remember reading at one time that one requirement of WLS was that the domain holder would have to be notified when someone took out a WLS slot on their name. Is that still part of the WLS plan? If so what domain owner will let a name drop when they know someone is sitting their waiting to pay a premium for it?

Shiftlock

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by kidkool
I imagine because buydomains, like the rest of us, think freedom and self regulation are the way to go. Buydomains has invested money, and research, and i'm sure they are not comfortable with the power of government being harnessed to reward those who have failed to do the research necessary to succeed.

Exactly. When it comes down to it, BuyDomains is playing the same game as the rest of us. One of the main purposes of WLS is to put an end to the rush of activity when domains drop. Verisign saw that a lot of people were making money on dropping domains, and decided they wanted a piece of that pie. If WLS goes through, they will snatch the whole pie in one mighty swoop.

Another thing that will make it hard to get a WLS. It's not the 5000 of us domain catchers that will take most of the WLS subscriptions, and it's not 15 "big" domain catchers, it's the 100 million average internet users who don't know anything about domains. How often do you think the average joe decides he wants a domain and discovers "oh well, ElectronicsStore.com is already taken." Well, with WLS "Congratulations! You can get the WLS subscription for this domain name. This domain could be yours within months!"

I can see the crap flying already whenever a new domain is registered: "Would you also like to purchase the WLS for this domain? In the accidental event that your domain becomes available again, WLS will prevent your domain from being hijacked by cybersquatters."

Mass emails to current domain owners from their registrars: "Warning! There is a security problem with your domain name! It has come to our attention that the WLS for blah.com is available for anyone to take. This means that your domain could fall into the hands of someone else!"

Within a few months after the rollout of WLS, Verisign will have made (another) small fortune, and there will be no good WLS subscriptions to be had.

StockDoctor

** Mr. Pink **
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
OK
Duke of Earl
Kidkool
Shiftlock
Strongvis
Cartoonz
gmartfin
DomainGoon
uncle

You guys already had my respect and I have seen some very good points made here. Some things I hadn't thought of. I hope this thread has been enlightening to the rest of the forum as well.

You didn't have to convince me about Verisign's ruthless tactics in attempting a total market grab. What they are doing is wrong, and I do feel for some of the legitimate and excellent drop services such as DropWizard and DropKing. I'm hoping you guys can adapt your programs to this new situation if it comes thru. As to whether the wls will work better for me than the status quo, only time will tell. I'm not thorouhly convinced that it will not.

As for the overall impact to the members of this forum and the rest of the few thousand expired name speculators in general, I concide that the WLS IS A BAD IDEA and should be actively petitioned against. You have now convinced me of that, and probably many others who are reading this thread. I stand corrected. You can qoute me on that.

Doc

uncle

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
stocdoctor, glad you are convinced now. to ohers that might be reading this thread: the above reasons show clearly that WLS will make it more DIFFICULT and EXPENSIVE to acquire expired domains for EVERYONE. as to Buydomains and other major players:

Originally posted by gmartfin

It'll just cost you all more to play with them. They can afford it.

Can you?

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by stocdoctor
I concide that the WLS IS A BAD IDEA and should be actively petitioned against. You have now convinced me of that, and probably many others who are reading this thread.

I understand your frustration Doc. It's hard to get those great names because the competitive field is fierce and crowded. I don't think any system is ever going to change that. However, when I look at the options, I would rather count on independent businessmen like Gordon (DropWizard) and Harold (DropKing/DropCatcher) to give me a shot than depend on Verisign. Other competitors will no doubt enter the fray too if a free market is allowed to continue. The cream will rise to the top.

DropWizard.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
OK Stock.

Reformed zealots always make the best converts.:D

KidKool that was indeed an excellent post !!

Duke maybe you should reprint this thread in the ezine word for word.:eek:

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by gmartfin
Duke maybe you should reprint this thread in the ezine word for word.:eek:

Yikes! It's an ezine Gordon - not the Library of Congress! :)

Drewbert

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Good to see we have another convert. :^)

The sad think is, we can't stop the beast. Only Congress can do that, by leaning on Doc to start pressuring ICANN.

So it's up to U.S. voters.

Kid Kool

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
another reason for you to keep the faith stocdoctor!

$70 was quite a bargain for whoever got this giHUGEic name.

chapter11.com is registered with whois.namebay.com:

Registrant :
SCHILLING MICHELE
Box #10518
A.P.O.
12345 Grand Cayman, GC
KY

Domain name : CHAPTER11.COM

Administrative Contact :
Schilling Michele (SM58886) [email protected]
Box #10518
A.P.O.
12345 Grand Cayman
KY
Phone : +01.3459465517

Technical Contact :
Schilling Michele (SM89595) [email protected]
Box #10518
A.P.O.
12345 Grand Cayman
KY

Billing Contact :
Schilling Michele (SM17387) [email protected]
Box #10518
A.P.O.
12345 Grand Cayman
KY

Domain servers in listed order :
nserver : ns1.15x.net
nserver : ns2.15x.net

Record created on 2003-01-16
Record expires on 2004-01-16

atlach

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
hello,

Escuse me for asking but why chapter11.com is any good?

@

PS : chapter10.com is available :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom