Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Are domainers "cybersquatters"? At NameJet, a DNF member thinks so!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobDiGiTaL

Domain Lover
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
is he/she a friend of yours?
is that why you are not telling us?

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
That's a good one Bob.
I disclosed plenty of into at this point.

When something comes up, I will update the thread. In the meantime - "be careful out there".

slimpickins

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
??

i am not "condemning" it while i think the tactic, if done legitimately and in a non-slandering way, is justifiable (and i think that is possible, but certainly not what happened here).... do i like the manner in which it was done? no. do i think that whoever it is is clever, although an opportunist that gauges risk/profit at the expense of fellow (mostly) domainer co-bidders? of course.

I followed up on this thread because you threw up a red flag, nobody came forward (as seemed to be expected) and i did not want to see yet another
informative thread simply slip away..... no attack/questioning of intentions meant and i am certainly not thirsty for "entertainment". sp

Since you don't "completely condemn the practice" I will assume that you support it. In which case, good luck. The document was presented and in due time any necessary action that might be taken by the bidding platform, NameJet, or others will happen. In the meantime, to act disappointed that no heads were presented on a plate and no names were named gives me the impression that you need to resort to some other form of entertainment. Some cases take a lot of observation and analysis; I don't reveal all my cards at once. The ball is in the offender's court.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
I think that no person in the domain industry would like to be called a "cybersquatter" by an opportunist, thus being slandered upon for profit no less. I don't understand why you'd applaud this profiteering scheme.

About no-one coming forward yet, I am not going to try to explain this. But here's a hint: shameful practices require secrecy.

slimpickins

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
i am not "APPLAUDING" it.

but at least this important thread was pulled back up. sp

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
So what percentage of approval do you give to this practice? Mine is 0%

slimpickins

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
thank-you for pointing this practice out. hopefully the person comes forward or, at the very, very least, modifies their text to be non-labeling of other bidders. my approval percentage of how it WAS done: 0.
sp

krossat

Rohan
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Reading the whole thread my only fear is looking at some people justifying the act (they do condemn us being called cybersquatters however lol), that others dont start doing the same thing.

Using the industry as a scapegoat and creating a negative impression altogether should never be applauded. If this guy did not create a sense of urgency by creating a fear that some "squatters" were after their names and they would need to pay up to "save" the name ; this thing would never work. So in my view, this practice is definitely not in the interest of us common domainers.

Just my view though, but dont kill the goose that lays golden eggs for you.

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What makes you guys think this person will come forward :?:

I've noticed that Acro will fan a fire and then see if the person who set it will come forward. IMO it's being professional and giving them a chance to come forward and say that it is them (he's done this in the past with scammers on different forums who were also members here).

No, I don't think they'll come forward. They're backstabbing an industry that they claim to be a part of.

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
"be careful out there".

How about if you really cared you just told us the user to watch out for and be helpful and sincere? I know I know I am beating a dead horse but some of these remarks are ridiculous.

Now that I think of it and my gut is usually right, you have no clue yourself what the NJ username of this person is, do you. You will say you do and show where it was blocked out but for all we know it was blocked before you got a copy and this is a game to get them to come forward and reveal themselves, which they wont the tactic was all wrong.

Last edited:

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Sorry JP, no head on a platter for you. I've exhausted my list of responses already. If you want to play ice hockey with me you will have to skate aimlessly on the ice. I think you're so pissed from the lack of "blood" that you turn against the messenger.

I have the person's name, DNF username and their URL. What I will do with this info at this point is not going to be determined by your adrenaline spikes or sense of boredom.

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have the person's name, DNF username and their URL. What I will do with this info at this point is not going to be determined by your adrenaline spikes or sense of boredom.

Stick to the story ;)

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
The story being, the facts have been presented and at this point I don't have anything else to add. I am sorry that I disappoint you so much.

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The story being, the facts have been presented and at this point I don't have anything else to add. I am sorry that I disappoint you so much.

Is that a voice I hear across the ice rink :lol:

thevirtual

Level 10
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hockey metaphors aside, it would help to know the NJ username, otherwise there is not much we can do to "be careful out there".

Are you assuming everyone is bidding on tm names, and we should stop this practice in order to avoid this cybersqueeler? If so, you are missing the point and not being much of a help.

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
:lalala: name please dude...seriously, enough already

f*ck his/her privacy...it does'nt apply to turncoats

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Any updates? :bump2:

Yes, we are all in grave danger and risk of losing the names we win at auction via this individual's actions... Acro says he knows who it is and is warning us all to " be careful ". Basically everything in a nut shell... :asleep:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom