Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

It's tough to run a domainer blog...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diabro

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Ihave had experience this week with domaining blogs, Elliotsblog.com and I have anew respect for what these domain bloggers must put up with.

I had a very pleasant email discussion with Morgan Linton and a nice phone call from Domain Sherpa ( Michael) andI have a new respect for what they and others go through so I apologize forcomments that may have offended them and anyone else who blogs about domaining.

Domain Bloggers have to put up with is horrendous torture and scrutinyfrom people that like to hide behind aliases.

The only thing I would reccomend is that you blog owners make people post undertheir facebook accounts so you/everyone knows who they are dealing with.

People using proxies or aliases to post on blogs are cowards, if you have somecomment to make to these guys have the guts to use your real name.

It's ok to have a difference of opinion but use your real name.

For the most part, I know who most people are on Dnforum, some I agree with andsome I disagree with but at least we know who we are dealing with.

It's tough for a blogger to write an article and have the same people come inand bash it sometimes for no reason what so ever.

So hats off to all the domain bloggers that continue to post day after day.

-=DCG=-
Horrendous torture? Like the evil Dick Cheney pouring a water kind ofhorrendous torture or the cool hip chopping fingers off Saddam torture?

Well despite the miscue I do not think writing a blog means you are saying youare an expert. Most are just journals. You can learn a lot from people'sfailures as well as their successes. Ido not regularly read any blogs but have a few I go back to every couple ofweeks. I avoid most of the negativecomments. You can get a good grasp onwhere they come from just by reading the comments after most CNN.COMarticles.

The people whopost them should learn to ignore the non constructive and the mine is biggerthan yours comments. Same as anythingonline.

But to call ittorture? Made me actually login.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
A question for you Adam:

if you started (and you did) using a nickname that you liked and then over the years you felt it like IT'S you....would you go around posting with that nick or with your real name, if you weren't famous?

I use my nick simply because it's more familiar to others, if I was using my real name, I doubt anyone would know who the poster is.
Whether you post as ItalianDragon or your real name doesn't matter because everyone knows its you.
I am talking about the people that post as John Smith or other ficticious names and then slam their articles, this happens on all blogs.

There is nothing wrong with posting under a nick that you use consistantly.

-=DCG=-

I guess the Internet has evolved into a huge exclusive club, thanks mostly to Facebook (and LinkedIn, and Twitter). The days when people could hide behind some anonymous "nic handles" is going, going if not totally gone. I for one have tagged my "nickname" with a first + last name since a while back (partly because some of my clients simply know me by my real name).

Having said that, ONE very important aspect about blogging or commenting online (about domain names or any other topic) is, your opinion could well be taken as a threat (intentional or else) to some vested interest, and there are people who would do just anything to protect theirs.

Last edited:

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a question for Adam...

Why is the thread you posted telling everyone how you do not read "domain blogs"...ranting against almost all of them.
Now it seems it has been 'deleted'...It was about 6 pages or so long.

Most of the members that have posted in this thread...had a post in that thread also.... I know I had several myself

If it has not been 'deleted'...please point me to its current location, as I would like to read through it again.

Thanks much for your help.

Best,
Dan

I would like to have the opportunity to read the thread as well. :yes:

As for the posters trying to derail this thread by taking what Adam wrote about "horrendous torture" which we all know it was mental anguish he was referring to and not physical torture, Do him the favor and save your BS for the "P" section.

Last edited:

myst woman

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If the domainer end user is a potential customer using your real name reveals you and further allows them to size you up. Who I am in real life is not the end sum total of the 500 words or more i post on any domain blog. For anyone to feel because they know my name they can presume to predicate any business relationship on this is preposterous.

Domain blogs should have aliases so people can use the anonymity and free press use of the Web as intended. Elliott and his ilk leverage their name as part of their blog, and like any industry the stars stand out and the constellations of those who have tried fade behind.

Last edited:

RTM.net

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
My take is that if the blog, blogger, or commenter are writing on a subject that is highly risqué (sometimes possibly leading to imprisonment, real torture or significant business or personal loss) then it is appropriate to post under a fully anonymous (hmm, doesn't exist!) pseudonym.

If it is simply to post opinions in a relatively free society (as in Canada or the US) on strategies for making money with domains or the like, then hey... why hide - especially when critiquing!

My $0.02.

Rob

Domainster

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Wonder who will win the Best Domain Blog of the Year Award at T.R.A.F.F.I.C. Florida in 3 weeks ?!?

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I agree that unless you are blogging politically in a police state, staying anonymous hurts your credibility. I lost some business for my really mild criticism of the Chinese government, but it's the kind of "cost" you have to bear, esp. when speaking up is the least you could or should do.

Mike Cruz

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Wonder who will win the Best Domain Blog of the Year Award at T.R.A.F.F.I.C. Florida in 3 weeks ?!?

DomainSherpa.com (Michael Cyger). His blog is awesome.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

ditto.

It seems like he came out of nowhere and relative obscurity to be the top domain industry blog in a short time, imo. One of the main reasons are his excellent and very educational ongoing 1-hr long interviews via Skype with top industry players and using his superb interviewing skills.

Last edited:

Mike Cruz

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes. Someone recommended his site to me on NP and ever since then I have become obsessed with it, lol. I have probably watched more than 70% of all of his interviews already. Instead of putting on a movie before going to bed, I stream an interview to my TV and watch it. The amount of info and knowledge available on his blog and via his video interviews is priceless...

Tia Wood

Web Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Yeah, maybe he will win. Close tie with ElliotsBlog.com. I like DomainSherpa.com's format. He did a great job putting that together.

RTM.net

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

Liked and thanks for sharing this - awesome content and Tier 1 blogging quality; both the articles and his engagement of the readers in the comments etc.

Will be reading regularly now.

Rob

brian1234

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
The advent of domain 'conferences' really added a 3rd dimension to this business, and not only helped to get more people involved but made it more credible too.

RatherGood

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I could care less about the identity of anyone who is attacking or debating me, just as long as they are factually correct.

Which unfortunately in the case of unsolicited opinions and slander (ie, blogging) it rarely is.

JeffreyL

Level 3
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi,

In response to original thread. Here's how I would handle it in real life.

If I were with a group of friends and someone with a bad attitude tried to join the conversation I would simple turn my back on them... at best I might say thanks for sharing, then turn my back on them. I mean, they are trying to put crap on you, and they are being VERY rude and you have a choice.

I would not get sucked in. Just because someone calls out your name or says something you don't agree with does not mean you have to give them your time/attention or energy. They are just trying to hook into you and you have a choice to play or not.

If you ignore them they will just move on and find someone else. I know it can be hard if they hook you in... but when you see it coming you will simple side step them.

Plus saying "Thanks for sharing" will infuriate them as they have just spent half an hour crafting there nasty message... and you are actually dismissing them.

p.s. Just my take on it.

R:
Jeff

Last edited:

enterpryzman

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
My wife has pancreatic cancer and I am very-very actively involved in online groups and boards directly related to her exact cell type and use them every day of my life. I have one board that I have made more than 10,000 post's on and I always use my name and the same exact issues you describe here exist on all online community sites.....it is sad but true, many trolls just look for buttons to push because they can do it without being ID'd.
I encourage you to do you best to ignore the ones bashing you and I have a rule that I set for myself.....if I decide to respond, I NEVER do it as soon as I see the neg posting, I insist on walking away and removing my emotions as not to make a mistake in my own post-response, I can honestly say my online post's never speak poorly about another.
All my best, sorry for the " off topic " however, same exact situations.

Enterpryzman

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom