Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

New Way to Sell Domains that work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

namestrands

The Bishop
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Answers in order of questions asked.

1. I assume that they looked up the whois
2. Asking Price was set (this thread pre-dates afternic expanded promo changes)

I have not done this in a while as I gained enough capital, and no longer need to sell domains, I just collect them now like trump cards :)

namestrands

The Bishop
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
tis true dale.. when was the last time I sold a domain, or even listed a domain for sale on this or any other forum?

hell I cant even recall.

Have you paid any capital gains on domains lately... hardly makes it worth it anymore. Best just to sit back and earn the parking/affiliate revenue this way its only taxed at 40%

Dale Hubbard

Formerly 'aZooZa'
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
tis true dale.. when was the last time I sold a domain, or even listed a domain for sale on this or any other forum?

hell I cant even recall.

Have you paid any capital gains on domains lately... hardly makes it worth it anymore. Best just to sit back and earn the parking/affiliate revenue this way its only taxed at 40%

Ang**, to be frank, if you *vested* your IP offshore properly (tax effectively); given the magnitude of your portfolio, CG tax would not even be an issue.

namestrands

The Bishop
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you are gonna be frank can I be johnnie ;-P

Very true, however it seems that its pointless to lock the gate once the horse has bolted. I will wait until April and then incorporate into an LTD, transfer the assets and goodwill into the Inc.. not sure to do Isle of Man or BVI.. If you have some hands on experience with offshoring then I am happy to pop down the M5 and buy you dinner. PM me.

Had to register for VAT.. its just take take take...

Dale Hubbard

Formerly 'aZooZa'
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's very hard to 'lock the door after the horse has bolted'. You need to be making your purchases/registrations via an offshore company from day one, and then have that offshore entity bill you for a revenue commission % or a reasonable % of capital gains (AS A SERVICE PROVIDER) IF you repatriate funds. If you don't repatriate any funds you are clear of CG. The other way to obviate complicated figures is have the offshore bill you a service fee - that's all HMIT will look for. Remember that if you fund your offshore tax effectively; i.e. bill THEM for services, and you don't do the ATM/repatriation thing, your funds and gains are outside the remit of HMIT.

HomerJ

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well i started 3 campaigns about 10 days ago. so far one *seems* to be doing really well, getting 27 click throughs already in under 10 days, ~ 3/day. No offers yet though. It is a three-word keyword domain such as AdjectiveAdjectiveNoun.com and it is getting all of its click-throughs from an ad for the last 2 words of the domain (omitting the 1st adjective). so i'm wondering how well this ad is actually targeted...

fab

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Wow, awesome and simple idea, thanks for sharing. Would like to try this, and know if anyone else has tried it as well.

domnet

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
This was a great thread a while back. I am wondering if anyone else has tried and had any results?

Please Share!

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This was a great thread a while back. I am wondering if anyone else has tried and had any results?

Please Share!

Based on my experience working with the method (which was fairly extensive and long-term) I would have to unfortunately say with a big NO it simply does not work and was a dismal failure and cost me a fair amount of adwords lost money too, but somehow worked for the OP but can't understand how it did work for him.

P.S. If it really worked for other folks I don't think the thread would have died off as it did one year ago this month and the thread would be ongoing with happy campers.

Last edited:

Sonny Banks

<span style="font-weight: bold;"><span style="font
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Never used Adwords to sell domains.
Why I need to spend money to sell a domain?

Bashar

Kuwaiti UNIX Geek
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Never used Adwords to sell domains.
Why I need to spend money to sell a domain?
with this slow market people would spend money to sell domains.

selling them via brokers or auctions is actually spending money since a % will be taken by the broker

RedTruck

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Came across this thread and thought I'd give Adwords a try but hit a few snags.

My domains are all on Sedo, and Google wont let you mention Sedo in the ad copy - TM problem. They also wont let you use Sedo.com as the display URL - presumably same reason. And, when I put my for sale domain as the display url, they objected to my use of a Sedo.com url as the destination url - it's to the affiliate enabled for sale page for the domain on Sedo. When I asked Google support, they said the display url and destination url must have the same high level domain name and tld.

So, I'm thinking that I have to create a landing page for each domain being advertized, with a link to the Sedo for sale page and contact info in case someone wants to bypass Sedo. Is this my only option? And, anybody got a good sales landing page I could use as a template?

Thx.

Last edited:

Salient

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You dont need a lander for each. Set up one page and listed all your domains on it - with or without links to Sedo.

Personally, I would remove a handful of domains from Sedo listing and then try - avoid paying a commission to a third-party when you already coughed up the adwords dough. If potential buyers find your lander, why pay Sedo?

RedTruck

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The problem with using a generic lander is that you have a potentially meaningless URL displayed in the ad, and it might distract potential buyers and make them think twice about clicking through to view the for sale details.

Salient

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Not sure about the AdWords rules cause I havent used it in awhile, but cant you list the "to sell" domain but apply another domain to follow? It will depend heavily on how you market those domains too - in the ad.

Compassion

feel the qi
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Interesting concept from OP back in 2006....If it is working for anyone today, Let us hear about it :)

Salient

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Came across this thread and thought I'd give Adwords a try but hit a few snags.

My domains are all on Sedo, and Google wont let you mention Sedo in the ad copy - TM problem. They also wont let you use Sedo.com as the display URL - presumably same reason. And, when I put my for sale domain as the display url, they objected to my use of a Sedo.com url as the destination url - it's to the affiliate enabled for sale page for the domain on Sedo. When I asked Google support, they said the display url and destination url must have the same high level domain name and tld.

So, I'm thinking that I have to create a landing page for each domain being advertized, with a link to the Sedo for sale page and contact info in case someone wants to bypass Sedo. Is this my only option? And, anybody got a good sales landing page I could use as a template?

Thx.

Ok, now that I have read your post all the way through, rather than skimming, I see your issue.

I still think you best off to have a single lander at a good "domain" based domain name and nail the ad copy.

RedTruck

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Not sure about the AdWords rules cause I havent used it in awhile, but cant you list the "to sell" domain but apply another domain to follow? It will depend heavily on how you market those domains too - in the ad.

I thought this would work too - redirecting to the Sedo for sale page, or to a generic lander. But Google policies say otherwise. Below is from the email they sent me this morning (and I think I saw this on the Adwords site too).

For example, if your destination URL is www.Google.com, your display URL must also be www.Google.com (the domains and the extensions should match exactly). The following would not be acceptable display URLs for an ad for www.Google.com:

- www.Google.co.uk - this URL leads to a different site
- www.Gogle.com - this URL simply redirects to www.Google.com
- www.Gooogle.com - this URL leads to a page showing content identical to
www.Google.com

It's OK if the destination url is longer than the display url, as long as it points to the same domain and tld.

Well, I put landing pages up for each domain (4 total). We'll see how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom