Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Secrets behind UltSearch and Buydomains

Status
Not open for further replies.

googlegod

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
What do you think are the secrets behind these companies, how come they are able to buy domains before pool.com or similars? Of course they have direct connection with registries but this is not all, fast servers? low ping response? There must be some glitch.

Domain Summit 2024

JoDomains

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
maybe luck ? There are tens of thousands of requests going to the registry every single second... whom request arrives first after the deletion of the domain will get it. So I think it's there luck especially that BuyDomains has 12 registrar working for it, while pool has more than 50 registrars!

googlegod

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Lwgik said:
maybe luck ? There are tens of thousands of requests going to the registry every single second... whom request arrives first after the deletion of the domain will get it. So I think it's there luck especially that BuyDomains has 12 registrar working for it, while pool has more than 50 registrars!

What do you mean that they have XX registrars working on that? I suspect what you mean but I am not sure. They query registry from XX registrar servers

JoDomains

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
check http://whois-search.com/deleting/who.php ...it shows you what registrars are working with whom. All of snapnames, pool, namewinner, Ultimate Search, BuyDomains, and Enom drop club has agrements with other registrars to try and get domain names for them. So instead of querying the registry through one registrar, they will have tens of registrars querying the registry for the name. This is how they increase their chances of getting the names they want.

googlegod

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Lwgik said:
check http://whois-search.com/deleting/who.php ...it shows you what registrars are working with whom. All of snapnames, pool, namewinner, Ultimate Search, BuyDomains, and Enom drop club has agrements with other registrars to try and get domain names for them. So instead of querying the registry through one registrar, they will have tens of registrars querying the registry for the name. This is how they increase their chances of getting the names they want.

this is really interesting hwat you are saying :) I suspected that but was not sure, do you have any other ideas on what might make them so successful?

JoDomains

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think all of them invest in the fastest servers, internet connections and infra structure. So I think it's just a question of luck. Domains are deleted in queue. They aren't deleted in a single second. So let's suppose both pool, namewinner and BuyDomains are trying to get domain abc123.com. They all send requests (through their partners of course) at the following times:

2:00:01 BuyDomains request
2:00:02 Pool
2:00:03 Pool
2:00:04 NameWinner
2:00:05 Pool
2:00:06 NameWinner
2:00:07 BuyDomains

Now lets suppose the domain was actually deleted at:
2:00:00 then BuyDomains gets it since they are the first to request it.
2:00:03 Pool will get the name.
2:00:06 NameWinner will get the name

So it's a question of luck and chance. However the more requests you can send to the registry, the higher your chance or getting the name.

googlegod

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Lwgik said:
I think all of them invest in the fastest servers, internet connections and infra structure. So I think it's just a question of luck. Domains are deleted in queue. They aren't deleted in a single second. So let's suppose both pool, namewinner and BuyDomains are trying to get domain abc123.com. They all send requests (through their partners of course) at the following times:

So it's a question of luck and chance. However the more requests you can send to the registry, the higher your chance or getting the name.

Did you learn that on this forum? ;) I have just registered and already learned a lot, the platinum membership was worth it.

Domains are deleted randomly?

JoDomains

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Domains are deleted in a queue. deletion process for .com and .net names starts at 2:00 pm EST time. It takes an hour or two before all domains scheduled for deletion to be deleted. So you never know the millisecond your name gets its turn to be deleted!

googlegod

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Lwgik said:
Domains are deleted in a queue. deletion process for .com and .net names starts at 2:00 pm EST time. It takes an hour or two before all domains scheduled for deletion to be deleted. So you never know the millisecond your name gets its turn to be deleted!

Once again I will ask, did you learn all of this on this forum? Maybe I was stupid enough to ask questions without carefully reading the past topics? :)
Are the domains sorted by name or by time or unsorted in the deletion queue? How many domains are deleted daily? WHat are the rules for .org domains?

JoDomains

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I learned most of this from the forum here. It is always a good idea to lookup and learn from old posts. I'm not sure if the domains are sorted or not in the deletion queue. There are lot of domains deleting daily, average is 20'000 names. Check http://www.deleteddomains.com for some interesting stats about todays deletions and registrations.

Welcome to the forum, and good luck :)

googlegod

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Lwgik said:
I learned most of this from the forum here. It is always a good idea to lookup and learn from old posts. I'm not sure if the domains are sorted or not in the deletion queue. There are lot of domains deleting daily, average is 20'000 names. Check http://www.deleteddomains.com for some interesting stats about todays deletions and registrations.

Welcome to the forum, and good luck :)

Thank you very much for your help :)

Chaiki

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
A former employer of mine from Asia once coined a phrase which I think is applicable here: "you are seeing the white side of a white and black ball".

The list of rars you generated is not indicative of resultant volume or quality of domain names garnered. www.dailychanges.com serves as a pretty good indicator. In the end it comes down to the names. There are 4 auction service from what I can see: Namewinner, Pool, Snapnames, and Enom (in no particular order). I would suggest that if you are not getting yor names through them, your names are not very good at all.

There are 150+ registrars in the drop game. Does 1 registrar really matter anymore? Obviously no. I see Ultsearch getting nothing good for about 8 weeks.. BD is a crap vacuum.. very few buy in volume at auctions anymore.

The drop game getting quite fragmented IMO.

jazzpetals

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
So..why don't all of us dn members form a club so that we can interact directly with the registrars as well? I mean, does it cost millions of dollars or what?

Lwgik said:

Edwin

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think one of the reasons BD etc. seem successful is they may only be going after e.g. 200 of the 20,000 names dropping on any one day. Because of their much larger client bases, Snapnames, Pool and Enom might be going after 2,000-4,000 of the 20,000 domains.

What this means in practice is that BD and the other private catchers can throw a huge amount of resources at just a handful of domains, but they are the domains that most people have their eye on (the "obviously good" domains) so there is a misplaced perception of dominance.

After all, if you're monitoring 200 great names and BD picks up 20, it looks like BD got 10% of the drop - but they only got 20 out of 20,000 i.e. 0.1% of the overall names dropping that day... it's just they know how to prioritize and, using those priorities they've established, to milk their private Registrar connections to the maximum.

And yes, recently, just like some drop catchers have faded and others have improved in performance, many of the private "big dogs" have also seen their results wax and wane. All healthy signs that we are in a vibrant, rather than stagnant, industry.

cambler

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You are all about 85% wrong, actually :)

So help me, when it's not a trade secret any more, I'm going to write a friggin' book.

JoDomains

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
cambler said:

So help me, when it's not a trade secret any more, I'm going to write a friggin' book.

You can always post an anonymous guide on the internet :evil: just an idea LOL

Edwin

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
cambler said:

Well, wouldn't do to spell it all out :-D

Beachie

Mr Flippy Returns..
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Lwgik said:
You can always post an anonymous guide on the internet :evil: just an idea LOL
Unfortunately, when DomainGuru published the "Local whois DB must be out of date" trick back in the 90's it spelt the beginning of the end for those of us who did research to find expiring names early. Now anyone can wait until the last minute to find the best names, and the domain will go to whoever has the deepest pockets. At least in the pre-auction days you were still in with a chance of making a nice profit instead of paying end-user prices. One case where freedom of information bit us in the ass. I'm not saying this game isn't profitable, but the thrill of the chase is (almost) gone.

dotNetKing

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm sure that Edwin is spot on when he says BD knows how to prioritise, and that way they can make the best use of their connections, probably for both highly contested names and also for less contested names.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Edwin said:
I think one of the reasons BD etc. seem successful is they may only be going after e.g. 200 of the 20,000 names dropping on any one day. Because of their much larger client bases, Snapnames, Pool and Enom might be going after 2,000-4,000 of the 20,000 domains.

Agree, I am positive that is 85% of the reason for the private drop catchers great success vs public firms.

Those connected with firms like Pool or Enom Drop Club will tend to disagree due to self-serving interests of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom