Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

news Was there a Hack/Data Breach at Epik?

robmonster

Epik.com CEO
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
By now, most of you will have seen our first official update sent via email today.

Quick supplemental update:

- Cyber forensic work is moving swiftly.

- Our engineers believe the hack is of an aged remote backup, not of Epik's core production.

- No customer domains have been impaired to our knowledge. More domains arrived today than left Epik.

- Our support team is doing an excellent job.

Cyber security is no joke. If this can be done to Epik, it can be done to anyone. As it was, we were already in the process of heavily investing in this arena. Lord-willing, we will once again emerge stronger from the experience.

On a personal note, I am thankful for the outpouring of support. May those of you who choose to stand with Epik all be greatly blessed, both in this life, and the one to come.

Regards,

Rob

Domain summit 2024

DomainsGENERAL.com

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Somehow this made the news in Russia
There is the argument that "There's no such thing as bad publicity"

In the end, Epik can indeed turn this around to get something good out of it and free advertisement from it.

accurate

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
By now, most of you will have seen our first official update sent via email today.

Quick supplemental update:

- Cyber forensic work is moving swiftly.

- Our engineers believe the hack is of an aged remote backup, not of Epik's core production.

- No customer domains have been impaired to our knowledge. More domains arrived today than left Epik.

- Our support team is doing an excellent job.

Cyber security is no joke. If this can be done to Epik, it can be done to anyone. As it was, we were already in the process of heavily investing in this arena. Lord-willing, we will once again emerge stronger from the experience.

On a personal note, I am thankful for the outpouring of support. May those of you who choose to stand with Epik all be greatly blessed, both in this life, and the one to come.

Regards,

Rob

Thanks for this Rob.

accurate

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
A Linux engineer tasked with conducting an impact assessment on behalf of a client who uses Epik’s services told the Daily Dot that the breach was one of the worst he had ever seen. The engineer did not have permission to speak about the breach by his employer and was granted anonymity by the Daily Dot.

Disturbing if this is true.

Source - DailyDot

Neoget

Level 5
Reaction score
Lets stand strong together and not run as many rats do when Titanic have sunk, be together before Epik will become N1 on whole internet, those who are behind this hack know very good what I mean.

accurate

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Neoget

Level 5
Reaction score
Stand strong doing what? @Neoget
By staing together close to Epik, not running like some people do now.
I have check some domains which I keep an eye on them and they are moved from Epik to other registrar, meaning some people no longer trust to do business, but in the end no one is secure from hacks, let them run.

accurate

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Some of the domains reported to be owned by the Alt-Right and "Nazis"are not.

Noticed many are listed on SquadHelp. 😄

They are with different registrars too. The domains may have been owned by then at one point, dropped, re-registered.

Seems the data is somewhat old. Question is how old and from when?

Last edited:

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I know that my domains are still safe with Epik, if that's any assurance to any of you.

That is where they will continue to go when they're able to be transferred from other registrars for consolidation (can't beat that $6.99 for the first year!).

kwng

Level 1
Reaction score
I don't know how transferring out of epik works because I've never done it but a great suggestion would be to in addition to providing auth codes that epik emails the owner/seller to double confirm the transfer before the transfer takes place.

accurate

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't know how transferring out of epik works because I've never done it but a great suggestion would be to in addition to providing auth codes that epik emails the owner/seller to double confirm the transfer before the transfer takes place.
Or an email notification of transfers.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The best feature, which I hear exists(?), is the hard lock.

Since I don't plan on moving my domains anywhere for whatever reason, the hard lock would ensure that they're kept there just fine.

accurate

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The best feature, which I hear exists(?), is the hard lock.

Since I don't plan on moving my domains anywhere for whatever reason, the hard lock would ensure that they're kept there just fine.

You mean a registrar lock?

accurate

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Recent reports say GBs of data were stolen from Epik. In misleading reports, Parler is mentioned, despite the fact Epik has never hosted our website, apps, or DBs. To be clear, we do not have any of our data or content on Epik. We use them solely as domain registrar. #news #epik

Tweet from Parler

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators