Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

news Was there a Hack/Data Breach at Epik?

DomainsGENERAL.com

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
What are you saying here?
What is written. What don't you understand? (all this is according to what I've read as I didn't check for myself)

Domain summit 2024

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Major news is now covering this story.
Yeah, but they're not covering the security aspect of it, or rather briefly touching on it with a one liner. They're telling the same story that they have always told and will always tell.

accurate

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There is some sales data from the leak. All handled by Epik Escrow.

Numerics

795.com - $322,605
494.com - $292,971.41
450.com - 279,971.44
503.com - $275,000
220.com - $275,000

Domains

Sporting.com - $270,000
Productive.com - $182,250
Surround.com - $152,250
Patou.com - $125,000
NewLogic.com - $111,650
TechGearoid.com - $101,490
Crypto-Daily.net - $100,000
ShopeeMall.com - $100,000

Moral of the Story?

The last for 4 domains sales, if true, mean that I should be charging a lot more for my domains with Epik. 😄

Neoget

Level 5
Reaction score
There is some sales data from the leak. All handled by Epik Escrow.

Numerics

795.com - $322,605
494.com - $292,971.41
450.com - 279,971.44
503.com - $275,000
220.com - $275,000

Domains

Sporting.com - $270,000
Productive.com - $182,250
Surround.com - $152,250
Patou.com - $125,000
NewLogic.com - $111,650
TechGearoid.com - $101,490
Crypto-Daily.net - $100,000
ShopeeMall.com - $100,000

Moral of the Story?

The last for 4 domains sales, if true, mean that I should be charging a lot more for my domains with Epik. 😄
Yeah that is a surprise of a dashed and in (net) extension sold for so much.

DomainsGENERAL.com

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I just noticed my Epik "domain marketplace" (the one appearing in my signature) wasn't working anymore. After inquiring with the support, domain marketplaces (aka "domain portals") are currently deactivated due to "extra security measures". They told me they expect them to be enabled back in 2 or 3 days.
I FULLY understand how the current situation must be difficult, the security concerns and everything, but the domain marketplaces still seem to not be working. It's been 2 weeks now. And there wasn't even any notice to anyone about this, it seems.

It isn't great for domainers which relied on this for a marketplace on one of their domain. And the longer it lasts, higher are the chances some will switch to something else and maybe never come back (using this also supports registering the names with Epik as the transfers are then automatic).

Are there plans to make this work again in the near future? (Which would be good for Epik, IMHO)
Or is this functionality more or less dead going forward?

DomainsGENERAL.com

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
@slickdots The marketplace on Epik's website seems to always have kept working just fine. The thing is about "domain portals" to have a "mini marketplace" with only YOUR names on your own domain. What Epik used to offer (officially still does, but it's currently down if you have one set up), which was really great btw. I loved the design, how it worked and everything.

DomainsGENERAL.com

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Oh, now, that's interesting!
Do you know if it always kept working? Mine stopped (when I posted the initial message). I switched (temporarily) to my listing page on Dan, and wanted to come back again to my Epik marketplace when working again. I kept 2 links to marketplaces I found on Google to track when they would be running again. These 2 still aren't working. I was assuming none were... Now I'm a bit confused. Maybe different servers on Epik's side? I will maybe try to get mine back up just to make sure the 2 links I was using don't have a different problem!?

DomainsGENERAL.com

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm unsure since I didn't check it until just now. 😄
I'm sure it's the same for a lot of sellers. Probably a lot of them didn't even notice their marketplace wasn't working anymore. Especially as they may have sales from the marketplace on Epik's website.

Oh boy, there seem to have been a change of the IP to which your domain must point!!???
It previously was 88.214.193.185 and it is now 185.14.97.195

People using a domain at Epik or elsewhere with nameservers pointing to Epik NS are probably good.
Those, like me, using a domain elsewhere and pointing to the IP have their marketplace not working anymore. Maybe this was even the problem since the very start!? Damn, Epik support was VERY bad in this case :confused:

Right now, a lot of marketplaces are still pointing to the old IP and are NOT WORKING @robmonster ! It would just take an email to inform them to change the IP. Or make the "old" IP work on Epik's side is that's possible.

DomainsGENERAL.com

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Why not just transfer the marketplace domain @DomainsGENERAL.com?
Because that was supposed to not be necessary and that you would expect from them to not change IP adresses like this without any notice... But yes, sure, I could do that. Just using their nameservers would already have been better for this exact situation.

But acting like this, doesn't put people in their best mind to do MORE business with them, though. Let's be honest for one second. And I'm not even talking of myself, here.

Right now, there are still a lot of marketplaces not working because of this. This has to be solved as quickly as possible. At least by informing these people. It's now 2 weeks this is going on.

Thanks for helping me sort this out @slickdots
PS: I went to Epik support 2 weeks ago. First person: "Everything is fine, all your fault" (I'm paraphrasing). Second person after having tried quite a few marketplaces I found on Google and none working: "Oh yes, that's normal, we shut them down due to security measures. Yeah, first person didn't know". It now seems the correct answer was "The IP address to which to point to has changed". Which should have been told to all the marketplaces users not using Epik NS. Not something very complicated to do to send an email saying this. I could almost do it myself with a google search and looking to which NS and IP the domain is pointing + sending an email to the registrant of the domain. All these people are not MY customers, though.

Ok, I will tell myself it's probably crazy at Epik and they had a lot on their plate. But still...

Neoget

Level 5
Reaction score
Not sure guys about IP I never used IP's but only NS.
Also someone one other forum mentioned that payment with CC does not work, not sure from what Country he try to do that but for me it works, I m in EU edge regions.
Also I not plan to renew my CC I have set limits and I know very good the purpose of the hack but I can't tell, it's not related to anything what media talks, all those are fairy tales, I also suspect that Mark Zuckerberg is the one who ordered the hack, that one Reptiloid lazy grabber.
He mentions on his timeline on 10 september which is why I suspect him.
"We’re adding another layer of privacy and security to WhatsApp: an end-to-end encryption option for the backups people choose to store in Google Drive or iCloud. WhatsApp is the first global messaging service at this scale to offer end-to-end encrypted messaging and backups, and getting there was a really hard technical challenge that required an entirely new framework for key storage and cloud storage across operating systems."

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators