Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

What's lacking on Dnforum.com?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BostonDomainer

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ok, the purpose of this post is to see what people think is/are lacking on Dnforum. I know we have a 'suggestion' area but I do think this would serve for more active discussions. In any event, here's my thoughts to get things rolling...

I think one thing that would be quite beneficial to this forum and us all is having more promotions/contests other then a discount for going premium or NFL pool.

I would love to see the exclusive area updated with new 'news' and tools or even comments and sales/wanted post.

I would like to actually receive a newsletter once in a while.

I would really like to see an increased posting from members who have been in the industry for ages yet simply lurk in the background as Gold members with 6 or so postings since 2003.

I would like to see the arcade reinitialized.... come on... yes we're adults (majority of us)... but there's nothing like having the choice of a little Pac Man here or there :eek:k:

I would also like to see Dnforum be greener. Since I've been here I'm not sure I've read anything on charitable givings or a green focus ideology (could be wrong but have not seen it).

Obviously this post is only to better this great resource that we have and I hope collectively we can come up with ideas that are instrumental in growth.

WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS?

Upvote 0

hobo74

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
DNF still and always has been a place for domainers to do business.

I think you can have a successful community while at the same time running it as a business.

Most people that come here are looking to make a profit.

-=DCG=-

I think you're right. People come here looking to make a profit. I know i did until i started to get it! Placing a site or a package of sites up for sale here helps tremendously because potential buyers (at dnforum) are so critical and scrutinize things so closely, it really helps in making early corrections to your listing before you decide to sell to a larger market. But in terms of seriously selling a quality site (PR 7 or 8....over 150K back links, etc..) , Think in terms of trying to sell a cake to a baker...After you say you're price, the baker is going to suggest in one way or another, "that's not worth anything cuz i can do that!" Same thing here...unless you're selling a domain/site that's PR 7 or 8....over 150K backlinks, etc..(something that "most" people here can't do)

Cheers

Domain summit 2024

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
-X- I too liked the arcade. My favorite was a game called 'Nutty' or something like that :D But I have a better treat for you, as long as you use Firefox: FireNES from http://firenes.en.softonic.com - you have hundreds (thousands?) of classic arcade games at your disposal played as Firefox java applets. And that includes Pacman!

*sniff* doesn't work with latest version of FF (even updated Java). :(

Link to newest version: http://www.firenes.com.ar

edit: It kinda does. :S

Last edited:

Compassion

feel the qi
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Forgive me if this suggestion has been brought up

Besides Exclusives being able to post as many sales threads as we want - how about being able to post sooner than 48 hours to ourselves? Does this segregate us too much or is a valid incentive?

ksinclair

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I just want one thing from dnforum! That the link in the upper right, Unread Posts, would work. And stay working.

Sometimes, it works. Sometimes, it does not. We would like to depend on it, its the easiest way to stay current. Lately it has seemed better but this morning I logged in and it shows 1 new post. I dont think that is right. It would be nice if it worked, and stayed consistent. It does not seem to be conceptually that hard, that its anything new since the last time the account logged out. Any new post.

Other than that I love dnforum.com.

Kevin

Domaineroo

From SEOing to Domaining
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Being new here, one major thing I noticed the fourm is lacking are reputation points. These do nothing but get older more established members to continue contributing and also give new users and mid-level users an idea of who knows what they're talking about.

For example if I like someone's post or advice I can give them X amount of rep points that are displayed as a comment to the particular post.

If a reader agrees with an answer to a threads question, instead of posting "I agree with so and so" they can add rep to that post in the form of a Rep comment (much smaller and does the same job plus some) and hence prevent the thread from getting to long and saturated with "I agree blah blah" posts.

Everyone could start with X rep points (maybe 1 for reg users, 2 for gold, 3 for Platinum, and 5 for Exclusive??) and everyone has the same chance as everyone else to gain these rep points by giving valuable advice and reasoned responses.

Being a long time member of SEOChat.com, this was one of the reason I continued to post for so many years. It's also the reason I listened more carefully to those with higher rep than those with very little.

Here I can only look at the "total posts" for a quick glance on whom to believe.

The other great thing about rep points, is you can take them away from someone who is giving false or misleading information.

See how they work here

This would really increase participation on all levels and improve the overall accuracy of posts.

Last edited:

NostraDomainus

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Lacking? - Integrity.

Not to say that there isn't any at all, as there is, with many great community members, but in a general sense, it's been going downhill lately, imo, with the number of scams taking place and how people are getting ripped-off here @ DNF more and more.

Thus - I like the Reputation Points system proposed by Domaineroo. :eek:k:
(...but like many great suggestions here @ DNF - I won't hold my breathe.)

I

impactadmin

Lacking? - Integrity.

Not to say that there isn't any at all, as there is, with many great community members, but in a general sense, it's been going downhill lately, imo, with the number of scams taking place and how people are getting ripped-off here @ DNF more and more.

Your opinions are welcome, but im not sure where our integrity lacks here on the forum.

The forum provides a great avenue for members to find information on companies, businesses, services, tips and engage in conversation with many knowledgeable domains.

The forum also provides the ability to buy and sell domains amongst each other. While fraud is a big deal in the industry, we are doing our very best to limit it from the time members signup. Every company in the domain industry battles with fraud as it is something that cannot be avoided no matter what you do.

I tend to disagree and I do believe it is the safest forum around to do business actively, gain and share knowledge and establish great communication with great members.

We are also actively involved in listening to members suggestions and implementing them where we can based on supported features of the forum software.

Sonny Banks

<span style="font-weight: bold;"><span style="font
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This forum is great, I don't want nothing else except some live auctions.

NostraDomainus

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Your opinions are welcome, but im not sure where our integrity lacks here on the forum.

As stated in my Post, "it's been going downhill lately, imo, with the number of scams taking place and how people are getting ripped-off here @ DNF more and more."

While perspectives are based on experience, my experience has been that there has been an increase in scams and deceit taking place here @ DNF - maybe from your experience, it's decreasing, as like yourself, opinions to my posts are always welcome too.

The forum provides a great avenue for members to find information on companies, businesses, services, tips and engage in conversation with many knowledgeable domains.

I guess, insofar as deleting threads and filtering information goes. For example, I continue to try to engage conversation and provide a tip to the community on how to get better value for dollar, yet for whatever reason, my threads keep getting deleting, as I guess it conflicts the desire to keep this information from the community. Personally, while it may hurt sometimes, I don't consider the Truth to be 'negative'.

The forum also provides the ability to buy and sell domains amongst each other. While fraud is a big deal in the industry, we are doing our very best to limit it from the time members signup. Every company in the domain industry battles with fraud as it is something that cannot be avoided no matter what you do.

I tend to disagree and I do believe it is the safest forum around to do business actively, gain and share knowledge and establish great communication with great members.

I do not disagree that DNF tries it's best to minimalize scams and is the safest forum around, and we all know it's probably impossible to eliminate them all - but that doesn't mean we can't dream of a scam free World/DNF where Integrity abounds. (-:

As for sharing knowledge - then why delete peoples posts when they are trying to share knowledge with the community? Or if in your opinion the 'knowledge' is erroneous - why not bring clarity with facts? As stated above, I don't look @ the Truth as being 'negative'.

We are also actively involved in listening to members suggestions and implementing them where we can based on supported features of the forum software.

Sorry, but I've been around long enough to hear many promises of enhancements to DNF yet never see them come through to fruition. Ex: Provide DNF$ for Chatting; Satellite Offices in cities around the World - a huge stir was created with this before being abandoned; Exclusive Benefits like the Domain Sales software which never worked; dare I say opportunities to work for DNF; just to name a few.

While I know DNF continues to evolve, and decisions have to be made if things don't seem to be worth following through with anymore, IMO, it may be better to only make announcements about initiatives after it is decided they will go ahead. Please note, this isn't the same as soliciting ideas, which is different. It's always nice to be 'brought' into the process rather than try to 'buy' someone in.

I appreciate your comments Huseyin, and your spirit of communication, as I believe such conversations are productive to the betterment of the community - and I understand, in the end, DNF can do whatever it wants, far be it from me as a member to tell you how to run DNF. Thanks just for not Banner me. :eek:k: (hahaha, yet anyways :p)

Carpe Peaciem, Take Care - Best of Luck & Success in All Your Endeavours!

Last edited:

Domaineroo

From SEOing to Domaining
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't like the reputation points idea as political viewpoints will cause problems in this "reputation" arena.

There was never a problem at SEOChat regaring "political" problems, and there are so so many mixed opinions opinions as to the best way to do SEO. All this does is give those that many are in agreement with a louder voice. There is a limit as to how much rep you can give someone (the amount of rep you have) there is also a 48 hour period for giving the same user rep again.

Look at the link in my post about 6 posts up to see more.

Stian

www.bitweb.no
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Lacking? - Integrity.

Is there a single forum out there with even half the integrity of DNF? There was a range of scams flooding the forum a while ago yes, but the main reason I trade on DNF and no other forums is because of DNF's integrity.

Edit: I haven't been on the forum as long as you have NostraDomainus and maybe the amount of scams earlier was less to none, but I also believe that the rapid increase of people entering the domain industry will also increase the risk of scams. The more people on the forum, the higher the risk that one or more of those people are scammers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators