Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

epik What's the point of Epik Forever Registration?

This is a discussion about the domain name registrar/company Epik.

accurate

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I use Forever Registration on my ultra-premium .com domains.

My premiums are on annual auto renewal.

Solution
I would just like to push back on this point, for those of you who don't understand the Forever Domains and why they're great for the right customer.

Yep. Epik can do a lot to appreciate the value of the 399 deposit. Buy what does that do for the domainer? The domainer can save the 399, pay annual renewal through regular auto renew, and appreciate that money which will go to their pocket.

It seems you don't have a problem understanding that Epik can do a lot to appreciate the value of the $399 deposit over time - one of the problems appears to be that you don't understand it from the domainer perspective - and that's perfectly fine.

I'm assuming here, and correct me if I'm wrong, that one the issues is it that...

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I am against "Forever Registration" because it does not exist.
Some places call it a Whopper and others a Big Mac, both being relatively the same. I don't see a difference between Network Solutions' condiments over Epik's choices for essentially the same product.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm intrigued by how Epik is living rent free in so many people's heads. You can clearly see by my, and other staff actions by not burying this thread, that none exist. However, you would prefer to take screenshots and move into a more comfortable area, an echo chamber as you will, instead of hashing it our here where you can have your opinion and I can have mine. But, we all know that is outside of your comfort zone; you seek praise for some odd reason and can't handle differing opinions.

Screenshot_20211110-174521_Chrome.jpg

JennBlogger

Level 4
Reaction score
I'm intrigued by how Epik is living rent free in so many people's heads. You can clearly see by my, and other staff actions by not burying this thread, that none exist. However, you would prefer to take screenshots and move into a more comfortable area, an echo chamber as you will, instead of hashing it our here where you can have your opinion and I can have mine. But, we all know that is outside of your comfort zone; you seek praise for some odd reason and can't handle differing opinions.

View attachment 5669
You're doing your ad hominem attacks again, you say you don't do/exist.

You say Epik is living in people's heads, then literally post screenshots from Namepros.

And since it's Epik with Forever Registrations, that actual topic of the thread, obviously they will be mentioned. Epik is literally in the title of the thread, so you're basically complaining about people being on topic.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You're doing your ad hominem attacks again, you say you don't do/exist.
I'm not even going to dissect this from the ad hominem attack you lobbed after having 2 verbal warnings. If you want to discuss it privately, that's another matter.

As for now, you go ahead and keep living Epik up in your head.

JennBlogger

Level 4
Reaction score
I'm not even going to dissect this from the ad hominem attack you lobbed after having 2 verbal warnings. If you want to discuss it privately, that's another matter.

As for now, you go ahead and keep living Epik up in your head.
Read your own posts in this thread alone. People can't discuss anything about Epik at this forum with you jumping and saying. Oh, you just hate Epik. Epik living in your head. Then you actually said "Trump living rent free in heads"

What does Trump have to do with this thread?

Then you talk about warnings, I'm not the one attacking. Read your posts:

"But we all know you have trust issues with Epik and you won't find sound reasoning in anything that I've said or will continue to say, so this will just remain an open topic for others to consider both sides of the argument."

"But, I get it. The core of your argument is against Epik, nothing more."

"I'm intrigued by how Epik is living rent free in so many people's heads."

followed by screenshots

"Also used about Trump living rent free in heads."

Steff

Level 2
Reaction score
Here is a blog post on Epik Forever Registration for domains.

I find it humorous how Rob refers to himself in the third-person. The post has him named as the author. LOL.

He writes, "The legal status of the Forever domain will vary by registry. Some registries are embracing Freehold domain registrations as a practice, with one-off outright purchase." What registries support or embrace a "one-off outright purchase"?

This blog post needs a lot of fact checking.

aleksey.k

Snake Charmer (Python3, DevOps)
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I find it humorous how Rob refers to himself in the third-person. The post has him named as the author. LOL.

He writes, "The legal status of the Forever domain will vary by registry. Some registries are embracing Freehold domain registrations as a practice, with one-off outright purchase." What registries support or embrace a "one-off outright purchase"?

This blog post needs a lot of fact checking.
Well, if you would be kind to actually run a decent fact-checking and bring it to the attention of Epik staff it would be a "win-win" for both you (proving your point), Epik(so they could advertise their services properly), and Epik customers (so they could get an alternative point of view)

JLJ

Level 1
Epik Staff
Reaction score
I would just like to push back on this point, for those of you who don't understand the Forever Domains and why they're great for the right customer.

Yep. Epik can do a lot to appreciate the value of the 399 deposit. Buy what does that do for the domainer? The domainer can save the 399, pay annual renewal through regular auto renew, and appreciate that money which will go to their pocket.

It seems you don't have a problem understanding that Epik can do a lot to appreciate the value of the $399 deposit over time - one of the problems appears to be that you don't understand it from the domainer perspective - and that's perfectly fine.

I'm assuming here, and correct me if I'm wrong, that one the issues is it that most people here don't understand the economics and that Forever Domains play in both the registrant and the registrar favor in the medium to short term. You should probably read up on calculating CLV, and imagine how that - given the areas that Epik operates in - plays out over time. There's more than just basic math and registry costs for the registrar at play, so adding the renewal prices together and notice that that only covers 25 years is silly, at most.

You need to go out more and see how business actually operate - you think Google or GoDaddy don't lose money on certain products if you just do the basic math of it for the short term. You see Forever Domains as a scam because 1. you're unable to see how it fosters long-term business relationships with Epik - 2. you're focused on the value to domainers instead of value to end-user.

It's not an entirely honest to call a product a scam just because it doesn't serve you directly. We have many customers who have been saved by the Forever Registration - securing it has prevented many domain expiration in cases of lost account access, transfer of businesses to other entities, replacement of people and roles and other situations. People really do set their businesses and forget believe or not, no matter how essential a domain is for business. Domainers are so focused on domains that they forget people build long-lasting businesses, and business owners are so focused on running their business that they forget their domains.

So the reality here is that the Forever Domains are not directly for domainers, in a way. They sure can have them for their most long-term names, but domainers are not the main beneficiaries of the Forever Registration for sure. Domainers will always try and save all the bucks they can find to spend on other domains to get more ROI.

But sometimes the best ROI for an end-user is just making sure that your domain does not go down and have the peace of mind that it won't expire - and you (and other registrars by the way) severely underestimate how valuable that is for both end-users and business owners.

Solution

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I taught them that earlier on. It's a point all investors (should) get. However, they can only make an argument from ignorance with everything provided because nobody can tell the future whether Epik will fulfill the promise or not. There's nothing that can be said or done to change their mindset on Forever Domains because their mind is already set on Epik.
They're taking a huge markup for what can't be bought now (lifetime) and leveraging the money they get now into something else that will pay off. I mean, heck, put 1/2 of that into Bitcoin and 1/2 into a 10-year renewal right now and you'll be able to renew it yearly without a doubt, even if 10 years later they need to move their appreciated value of Bitcoin into something esle (just an example of the future value of money).

Steff

Level 2
Reaction score
However, they can only make an argument from ignorance with everything provided because nobody can tell the future whether Epik will fulfill the promise or not. There's nothing that can be said or done to change their mindset on Forever Domains because their mind is already set on Epik.
@amplify, @JLJ
Can either or both of you answer this:
What registries support or embrace a "one-off outright purchase"?

Steff

Level 2
Reaction score
Well, if you would be kind to actually run a decent fact-checking and bring it to the attention of Epik staff it would be a "win-win" for both you (proving your point), Epik(so they could advertise their services properly), and Epik customers (so they could get an alternative point of view)
Lots of fact checking has been done, especially on NamePros. As far as bringing it to the attention of Epik staff, instead of addressing simple questions they seem to have an "us vs them" and "victim" mentality. Little hope they will change their ways.

The basic fact is that "forever registration" does not exist, "perpetual renewal" (more accurate description) is a promise to renew beyond the maximum 10 years.

In that blog post, a reader asked Rob this on Jan 12, 2019:

"Thanks for your explanation. Is there a list somewhere that details which registries support it and for which registries the registrar manages it?"

No answer. Crickets.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Can either or both of you answer this:
I'm not quite certain. I've quoted it and am tagging @robmonster (the author) to see if he can give any insight on what it means. I hope it solves everything you've brought up, but somehow I don't think it'll fulfill the perpetual argument from ignorance.
1636640678802.png

accurate

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Clearly you have never worked in professional marketing and done corporate PR, writing, or blogging.

When you work for a company and write any type of material you never refer to yourself. You use the company brand and "We".

I believe that as people businesses lose the access to domain names all the time.

We have many customers who have been saved by the Forever Registration - securing it has prevented many domain expiration in cases of lost account access, transfer of businesses to other entities, replacement of people and roles and other situations.

Business owners only realize how important a domain, SSL cert, or website is when they are not working or something happens to any of these.

People really do set their businesses and forget believe or not, no matter how essential a domain is for business.

Yes we assume people care as much about domains as we do, they don't.

Domainers are so focused on domains that they forget people build long-lasting businesses, and business owners are so focused on running their business that they forget their domains.

That's why I bought a Forever Registration.

But sometimes the best ROI for an end-user is just making sure that your domain does not go down and have the peace of mind that it won't expire - and you (and other registrars by the way) severely underestimate how valuable that is for both end-users and business owners.

JennBlogger

Level 4
Reaction score
So $399 and lets say $10 renewal, that's about 40 years. So it's not for domainers at all. They can just set domains to auto-renew, most aren't going to hold that long. Domains haven't even been around that long.

It's a good way to get money upfront, make a lot of money for the registrar.

What happens if Epik goes out of business?

What happens if Epik sells the business?

These "forever registrations" are not transferrable to other registrars.

So to use this, you're basically stuck at the registrar, correct? And things change.

Steff

Level 2
Reaction score
When you work for a company and write any type of material you never refer to yourself. You use the company brand and "We".
I agree. What I found humorous is that Rob, as the writer, referred to himself as "Mr. Monster".

I'm not quite certain. I've quoted it and am tagging @robmonster (the author) to see if he can give any insight on what it means. I hope it solves everything you've brought up, but somehow I don't think it'll fulfill the perpetual argument from ignorance.
View attachment 5677
Still waiting for an answer. Don't blame me for the perpetual argument as the man who started it is unwilling to answer simple questions, not even someone on his team.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I agree. What I found humorous is that Rob, as the writer, referred to himself as "Mr. Monster".
Speaking about yourself in 3rd person is nothing new to me, at least in academia. When going for my MBA, I got hit on it one time referring to a previous study done (as admittingly now, I just wanted to get the word count as I said all that needed to be said but not long enough). In my rewrite, I referred to myself in 3rd person with APA. So if someone is already in that mindset, it's not difficult to do it. It does sound odd, but it is correct.
Still waiting for an answer. Don't blame me for the perpetual argument as the man who started it is unwilling to answer simple questions, not even someone on his team.
The answer to your question cannot be answered because all you are doing is arguing from ignorance. We cannot tell the future, therefore it cannot be settled. You will just be talking in circles until A) your point is proven or B) you die (and someone else carries on the same (in)valid argument awaiting the peril of Epik).

accurate

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Verisign is raising .com prices. They just did a couple months ago actually.

Thankfully Epik kept the wholesale pricing the same for DNForum members.

So $399 and lets say $10 renewal, that's about 40 years. So it's not for domainers at all. They can just set domains to auto-renew, most aren't going to hold that long. Domains haven't even been around that long.

Most likely.

It's a good way to get money upfront, make a lot of money for the registrar.

Somewhat doubtful that will ever happen.

What happens if Epik goes out of business?

I'll deal with the consequences then.

What happens if Epik sells the business?

These "forever registrations" are not transferrable to other registrars.

I am still using Epik so I don't care.

I have a premium domain I plan to never get rid of. It will stay in the family.

You are right @JennBlogger nothing ever stays the same. Hopefully these "Forever Registrations" will stick around.

So to use this, you're basically stuck at the registrar, correct? And things change.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators