Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Merged Threads About Member - InBrownStockings

Status
Not open for further replies.

princehull

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
as i mentioned I do plan on trying to contact this person tomorrow. I will also contact the fbi if need be to have them look into it. I was also prior intel in the military and have some connections there to try to look into this.

ksinclair

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Mods can confirm I reported this person about 4 to 5 days ago, based on their buying pattern behavior (new member registration, many sizable "no questions asked" purchases, dubious WHOIS info). Also warned a member directly when I noticed this, after "in brown stockings" post SOLD in their thread.

Acro is all over this stuff, he is great.

Thanks for paying attention, Acro.

It would be interesting if the domain seller had the option to 'connect' a lock on the domain transfer with the paypal status. What i mean is, a paypal can be disputed only for a certain time period, I am not sure how long but it might be 45 days.

Therefore, if you are dealing with someone you dont know, what if you could lock down the domain for that 45 days? It would go to them, be in their account, but they cant' sell it or move it again for 45 days; and if the paypal is disputed during that 45 days the domain would AUTOMATICALLY return to the seller.

I suppose that would be hard to do, but it would be ideal. The domain ownership status, and the paypal payment status, should be linked.

We dont need any changes at paypal to do it. It could be done by Justin at EscrowDNS, using a domain holding account managed by Justin.

Kevin

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Kevin, hopefully you didn't go forward with that sale ;) It had all the signs of a mine collapse; I hate being the canary of impending doom but I use my experience and instinct.

A lot of scams occur consecutively to maximize the scamming potential in the short timeframe that a scammer controls a stolen or compromised account. Sellers need to be very cautious.

When dealing with a new buyer you might need to ask for a voice conversation to get a feel of who you're dealing with. Using female personas is always a popular method for scammers to get the mostly male sellers to lower their defenses.

It's all about social engineering in a faceless environment. Here's a good read about a classic scam on DNForum.

princehull

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
you're right, Kevin, that ould be a good idea. Hey, paydn.com is available. Someone should get it and set something up like paypal but especially for domains! lol

When dealing with a new buyer you might need to ask for a voice conversation to get a feel of who you're dealing with. Using female personas is always a popular method for scammers to get the mostly male sellers to lower their defenses.

I actually left my number for this person to give me a call to finish the deal by phone. But they seemed to ignore it. I then went and looked at the feedback others had left and made me feel a bit more confortable since this person asked that I push the domain before payment. It took sometime for them to accept the push and at one point I had a feeling that I should cancel the transaction. I wish I would have gone with my instinct.
Well, I guess if I can't get anywhere when I make a few phone calls tomorrow I can look at it as I was able to get the word out to the rest of you here to beware of this person and not get scammed by them as well.
It is just a bit crappy that I start the fall semester of my senior year here at Baylor Univ next week and was counting on that money from that transaction to buy my books. Karma will eventually catch up to this person and I hope it whoops their butt!!!

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
InBrownStockings
Platinum Lifetime Member

She's a member for less than 14 days and you accept Paypal? I dont want to make anyone feel worse than they already do, but you have to admit you took a huge gamble accepting Paypal from this person, considering Paypal does not protect against virtual items.

I will also contact the fbi if need be to have them look into it. I was also prior intel in the military and have some connections there to try to look into this.

FBI usually does not investigate anything under 100K, so I heard... But give it a try, it cant hurt.... I think Godaddy is your best bet, Ask to speak to the higher ups and pressure them as much as you can... Real sorry this happened to you.

Good luck.

jasdon11

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
How come this clown is showing 7 positive TR, and no negatives?

Surely the first thing to do in the interests of the community would be to reverse any positive TR once a problem becomes apparent, otherwise what's the point?

Johnn

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Never push a name until the e-check is cleared.

Always be caution with the member that you don't know.

We are working on this case. Acro did send an alert about this member but not much we can do until we have evidence.

Please feel free to send me PM any evidence that you have.

Thanks,
John

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So is this a hijacked paypal account ?

Johnn

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It does not look like a hijacked paypal account case.

From what I am reading he/she send e-check payment which would take several days to clear. Ask seller to push the name and cancel the payment from paypal.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Sheva

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think its time to re-thinking again seriously to develop stolendomains.com to help people about this with all data like what and not to do before to sell/buy a domain.

Sonny Banks

<span style="font-weight: bold;"><span style="font
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think its time to re-thinking again seriously to develop stolendomains.com to help people about this with all data like what and not to do before to sell/buy a domain.

Agree.
And it's time to ban first and arrest after these scammers.
In last days I see 4/5 scammers here...this is a bad summer for security in domains.

I

impactadmin

I am thinking of working on a downloadable document or viewable webpage that can be stickied in the domain for sale areas about tips, things to look for etc when conducting a sale to better protect your investment.

I ask for all your input of different suggestions to add to this document so we can better protect some of our newer members.

Please post your suggestions here:

http://www.dnforum.com/f79/post-your-suggestions-buying-domains-thread-317639.html

Looking forward to your suggestions.

Johnn

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
seminarist.com,

Please remove the link from all of your posts.

Create a thread in the advertise section WHEN your site is complete.

Thank you for your co-operation.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom