Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

.MOBI crashes Sedo... WOW!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well, this won't take long at all, actually.

Each word you listed is generic. No ownership involved or implied in generic words.

Now, perhaps you can find the words they do own?

Per Arnie, I'll be back.

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
.mobi is for everyone who missed out on the .com boat and is trying to re-create it in their own mind....it aint gonna happen guys so just accept you will never own domains like loans.com, etc

sashas

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
.mobi is for everyone who missed out on the .com boat and is trying to re-create it in their own mind....it aint gonna happen guys so just accept you will never own domains like loans.com, etc

hell, I'll say that!

Consider that E! owns Style.mobi. But it doesn't own Style.com!
So E! missed out on the .com boat, so bought .mobi instead.

Doc and iDNName, you still can't give me one good, logical reason as to why Bank of America would pay big money for Loans.com, but wouldn't pay even 30k for Loans.mobi. Bank of America has proven to be not .mobi myopic - it did pick up Bofa.mobi. So why wouldn't it spend 30k and buy Loans.mobi?

Uh..maybe they don't have the 30k in cash, right?

So tell me, who's backing .mobi? Big corporations are certainly not paying anything for them, only the domainers. In fact, if someone can bring me a list of all the names in the last .mobi auction, i wouldn't be surprised if ALL of them were bought by domainers (I know the top names were, at least - Music, Movies, Videos, Photos, Games, Jokes, etc.)

Stop kicking around and give me a good, logical explanation...

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
..and most not paid for yet, so just "won" at an auction as of this point..I hope that people honor their bids

sashas

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
In your opinion.

There are many more people in the world who did miss the .com boat than who didn't miss it ;)

This is not about people. This is about some very specific premium names and big corporations.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
We know you ain't meaning me.

Go back to the redhead in bed.

got work to do, but this is funner and funnier!

sashas

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well, this won't take long at all, actually.

Each word you listed is generic. No ownership involved or implied in generic words.

???
Wtf does that mean? "No ownership involved or implied in generic words"???

Now, perhaps you can find the words they do own?

I don't give two hoots if Bank of America or AOL regged MyFirstStupidMobi.mobi for reg fee.

I care about .mobi names that they have paid money for. Apparently, they haven't. ..

You guys can't come up with any logical explanation. Thats it. Admit it.

DomainsInc

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
hell, I'll say that!

Doc and iDNName, you still can't give me one good, logical reason as to why Bank of America would pay big money for Loans.com, but wouldn't pay even 30k for Loans.mobi. Bank of America has proven to be not .mobi myopic - it did pick up Bofa.mobi. So why wouldn't it spend 30k and buy Loans.mobi?

So tell me, who's backing .mobi? Big corporations are certainly not paying anything for them, only the domainers. In fact, if someone can bring me a list of all the names in the last .mobi auction, i wouldn't be surprised if ALL of them were bought by domainers (I know the top names were, at least - Music, Movies, Videos, Photos, Games, Jokes, etc.)

Stop thinking about now. How long did it take for corps to take notice of generic .com's? Many still won't pay big bucks for top domains in their niche. Probably took .com at least 5-7 years from 95 for them to take notice. Did AOL always own music.com? no... The list goes on. Corps never regged the generics they now own. Same could be said for .mobi. I'm not even big on .mobi but the amount of bias is silly.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
hell, I'll say that!

Sashas, you are new here. Those points you are making are pointless.

This has been kicked to death on this and many other forums.

Points, counterpoints.

You are asking me why someone didn't do this why someone didn't do that.

Ask them? Did that ever cross your mind?

Ask BMW why they went with BMW.mobi and not cars.
Ask AAA why they went with AAA.mobi and not insurance.
Ask Disney why they went with HSM2.mobi and not HSM2.com.
Ask Bank of America why they went with BofA.mobi and not BofA.com

Ask any company why they chose their marketing plan the you claim is counter productive.

It may have something to do with branding to a "newer" and "younger" generation of customers.

Keep in mind, this is global. This is not just about the US market which is so far behind the curve on this one.

I am currently reading a book called The Mobile Revolution. There is some serious irony to the book. I suggest googling it or view it on Amazon.

It was originally printed in 2005. It has been reprinted TWICE in 2007.

Thats for all who did not get it the first time. Obviously there is quite a demand for this newer technology and mobile connectivity.

It is not about winning or losing. It is about discovery.

Damn, work to do.

Keep it going!

sashas

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ask AAA why they went with AAA.mobi and not insurance.
Ask Disney why they went with HSM2.mobi and not HSM2.com.

Doc, do you really read what you type?

Cause its their damn 100 year old TM, thats why!

Bank of America owns Bofa.com too, btw. And its their TM too. But obviously, protecting TMs is secondary to you :-#:

Just go and read what you wrote again...

The points you keep on making about the Mobile Internet Revolution are all completely valid, I don't deny that mobile internet is the next big thing. But that has nothing to do with .mobi

You still can't come up with a logical reason why big corporations are not buying .mobi names, when they already own the same .coms.
And stop the crap like "Ask why BMW decided to go with BMW.mobi instead of Cars.mobi". Its a damn TM.

DomainsInc

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The answer is simple and i answered in my post. Build it and they will come. They aren't buying generics now because there isn't the traffic to justify the spending. If the traffic comes, the money for generics will too. If it doesn't, then it won't.

Doc, do you really read what you type?

Cause its their damn 100 year old TM, thats why!

Bank of America owns Bofa.com too, btw. And its their TM too. But obviously, protecting TMs is secondary to you :-#:

Just go and read what you wrote again...

The points you keep on making about the Mobile Internet Revolution are all completely valid, I don't deny that mobile internet is the next big thing. But that has nothing to do with .mobi

You still can't come up with a logical reason why big corporations are not buying .mobi names, when they already own the same .coms.
And stop the crap like "Ask why BMW decided to go with BMW.mobi instead of Cars.mobi". Its a damn TM.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sure do mate.

So ask BMW why they went with BMW.mobi and not buy cars.mobi to redirect to BMW.mobi.

Ask BMW why they chose to market BMW.mobi and not m.BMW.com or some other POS.

Of course they are TM. Go back and read your posts. You wanted to know why so and so did not buy this and that. And in this latest post you wanted to tell me that they are TM. You answered your own questions.

So why didn't they buy a certain keyword? Perhaps they will. Perhaps they are still in the reserved pool. Perhaps they are premium and want them to be sure to end up in the right hands.

Why would someone chose a .mobi to market on a mobile internet and not stick with their branded dot com? Did you not ask that?

Tell me and tell the world what one word, one extension says mobile better than mobi. A word that is in use in nearly every language when used to describe mobile connectivity.

Now my good adversary and fellow .mobi basher pointed out in this country that we still say cell. Well, so be it. A nation of 250 million uses a different word to say the same thing that nearly 6.25 billion use.

But that's okay. Like I stated, the US is just a tad behind the other nations in adoption of this widespread. Just a tad. And trust me, it won't be 3-5 years as you repeated stated. Look at raw hard data and research on your own.

I may be paraphrasing and the next thing out of your mouth will perhaps be brand protection. But they made a marketing decision based on demographics and a target audience.

We can keep going back and forth all night and all week. But I think it is wise to have a point to all of your points. Otherwise, I will keep prompting you to answer your own questions.

Make no mistake or assumptions about me and my qualifications and background to support each and every one of my claims. I don't learn by books. Books are manuals and tools. I learn by doing. Hands on. And nearly 30 years in advertising, design, and promotion and working with international and national clients and markets and studying emerging markets and trends give me all the confidence in the world that I have made not only the right decision but an educated decision.

I was not a landrusher and I was not convinced in its early need. But I studied, researched, and interviewed people on my own.

Trust me, I don't need someone to save me and my piles of money. A gain is a gain, a lose is a lose.

But I am hedging my bet of successfulness on 4:1 odds and 3.3 billion cell phone subscribers in the planet. Doubtful some 17 year old kid is going to give two shits if the site he is on does not say .com. Doubtful the surfers using SDCA.mobi care if they are viewing surfing reports on a site that does not say .com.

What these people do and will care about is relevant and timely content. It is mobile, the society is mobile, people aren't sitting still.

Do your homework. Do your own research. Back up your points and claims and counterclaims and don't depend on me to do it for you. I will be more than happy to educate but I am not trying to sell shit or snake oil.

It is odd that I feel like I have to defend a financial decision to the masses. Unless you are my accountant, attorney or banker or my wife, I do not have to explain any financial decisions.

I am trying to figure out what makes people think they need to save people who in vest in mobi. Spend some time looking on the forum and try to save all the lost souls regging piece of shit .coms, nets, infos, ca, .biz, .us.

I don't needing saving if I feel blessed. And I feel blessed.

Give me an AMEN!

sashas

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Doc, you know, its pretty futile trying to go back and forth like this. Fact remains that both of us are convinced of our positions regarding .mobi. Nothing that I say is going to change that, and nothing that you do will make me think otherwise.
This debate could go on. I have answers to all your questions in your last post, but I won't state them here. It'll just lead to more questions, more answers that eventually lead no where. This is like explaining religion to an atheist and vice versa; you just can't do it.

At the end of the day, neither am I going to become bankrupt by keeping my bet on .com, and neither are you. Folks have lost money on speculation in the past, and they will keep on losing. Folks have also made money on speculation, and they'll keep on doing it too. You and I don't own Google or Yahoo or Microsoft; we can't decide the fate of the internet, nor can we dictate anyone's surfing habits. Mobile phones aren't going to replace laptops/desktops anytime soon and vice versa.

Lets call peace. You have my respect, and I'm sure I have yours.

Cheers.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It has been futile for nearly a year now.

The overwhelming arguments against are totally based on opinion, not supported by any fact or data.

The iPhone was to be the death of .mobi. Now there are .mobi apps for the iPhone to enhance the user experience. So the iPhone did not kill mobi. It put a mobile connectivity device in peoples hands.

Now the Opera 4 browser will make it obsolete. Opera 4 is catching up to what is already on the market. And still falls short.

And most people arguing the points have never done a side by side comparison. Simply want to state an opinion.

I don't like it, I don't need it, I don't want it, I'm not buying it.

I love GMC trucks, don't like Dodge. But I go to a Dodge dealership and tell them how stupid they are for selling Dodge? And I tell all the Dodge truck owners what a waste of money and how they got duped?

Take domains out of the equation and substitute any word for the word .mobi. Brussel sprouts, cooked cabbage, Ford, Saddam...put any word into this conversation against the topic of mobi and you will get the same results.

I don't like it (whatever the hell "it" is), I don't need it (whatever the hell "it" is), I don't want it (whatever the hell "it" is), I'm not buying it (whatever the hell "it" is).

Simply opinions unfounded and unsupported.

Poker

Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Let's start back at the beginning with the geniuses that thought this donkey up in the first place...why the heck did they even choose .mobi...2 letters shorter than "mobile" does not make up for how hard it will be to brand...mobi...I bet most people think of moby dick or moby the singer when they hear mobi...that will prove to be very helpful when people type .moby into their handhelds...

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Let's start back at the beginning with the geniuses that thought this donkey up in the first place...why the heck did they even choose .mobi...2 letters shorter than "mobile" does not make up for how hard it will be to brand...mobi...I bet most people think of moby dick or moby the singer when they hear mobi...that will prove to be very helpful when people type .moby into their handhelds...

ICANNT give you an answer :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom