Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

.MOBI crashes Sedo... WOW!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vision

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Let's start back at the beginning with the geniuses ...

NOKIA was the genesis behind the genius of .mobi

Date Milestones
2000 .mobi Top Level Domain first conceived within Nokia

November 2003 Nokia invites Microsoft and Vodafone to join discussions

December 2003 Nokia signs agreement with Microsoft and Vodafone

February 2004 Founders invite other companies to join dotmobi initiative

March 2004 10 companies agree to join; dotmobi consortium formed

March 2004 .mobi Top Level Domain application submitted to ICANN

July 2005 ICANN approve .mobi contract; dotMobi (mTLD) appointed as global registry for .mobi

July 2005 dotMobi inaugural board meeting

Jan 2006 dotMobi opens Dublin Headquarters

May 2006 dotMobi launches Limited Industry Sunrise, drawing registrations from hundreds of blue chip companies

June 2006 dotMobi Launches Trademark Sunrise, with thousands of trademark names registered in the first hour of launch

Sept 2006 dotMobi closes Trademark Sunrise with more than 13,000 trademark names registered. A few days later, dotMobi successfully launches its General Registration period with a two-week Landrush

Here is the current esteemed dotMobi Board of Directors:

dotMobi Board of Directors
Company Director
Ericsson Mr. Hans OVESEN
Google Mr. Dilip VENTAKACHARI
GSM Association Mr. Ben SOPPITT
Hutchison (3) Mr. Christian SALBAING
Microsoft Mr. Matt CHAMPAGNE
Nokia Mr. Timo SKYTTA
Orascom Telecom Mr. Khaled BICHARA
Samsung Electronics Mr. Do Hun KWON
Syniverse Technologies Mr. Jerry EASOM (Chairman)
Telefonica Móviles Mr. Luis Jorge ROMERO
TIM (Telecom Italia) Mr. Gaetano LIGGIERI
T-Mobile Mr. Normen B. KOWALEWSKI
Visa International Mr. Patrick GAUTHIER
Vodafone Mr. Reinhard KREFT

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
So ICANN(T) took a year to approve .mobi but they bent over when .xxx was requested as an adult-only Internet zone and was stopped by the backward-thinking republican administration.

ICANN(T) are real geniuses.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So ICANN(T) took a year to approve .mobi but they bent over when .xxx was requested as an adult-only Internet zone and was stopped by the backward-thinking republican administration.

ICANN(T) are real geniuses.
careful using the word "backward" and "republican" in the same sentence.

Poker used "bush administration" and "intelligence" in the same sentence and I am still having nightmares.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Well, in that sense it's about emphasizing the obvious :D

XF.com

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
..and most not paid for yet, so just "won" at an auction as of this point..

DAMNIT, I paid for mine like a good boy ;)

(just playing)

Carry on... I love sitting back and watching this unfold :)

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Here's something to unfold:

http://www.apple.com/webapps/travel/boroughsmobi.html

One of DNF's own members now has his site featured on Apple.

Wish I could say that I taught him everything I know but I know about as much as programming as many of you know about .mobi (oooooo, that one is going to hurt).

Anyways, wonderful site, great app, and great collaboration.

Yes, .mobi is iPhone friendly.

XF.com

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
IS THIS A POSSIBILITY:

MAYBE the large coporations don't even know
that their generic .mobi is up for auction at sedo?

I was viewing all of the auctions, and most of the GREAT names only had
400-500 visitors the listing.

I KNOW that sedo doesn't do much effort in contacting serious end
users to participate in the auctions.

If I am wrong, certainly correct me... and I'll cower down in shame :)

But honestly, is sedo contacting ANY serious end users when
premium names are coming to auction?

I know that the few premium GENERIC .com's that I've listed
on sedo auctions... they didn't pick up the phone at all and
try to reel in a big fish.

My opinion:

WHY haven't the large corporations jumped in yet?

3 things...

1. they are waiting to see if it catches on (and if it does, they certainly have the money to spend to buy the .mobi they want... no matter WHO owns it)
2. they might not even know that their desired .mobi is being auctioned off, since sedo doesn't prospect large buyers very well
and
3. it took them a while to see the value in a generic .COM so I doubt
they'll jump right in the generic .MOBI... it might take time.

Again, if my thinking or ideas are 100% wrong... it's just my opinion
and I don't feel strongly one way or another

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
IS THIS A POSSIBILITY:

My opinion:

3 things...

1. they are waiting to see if it catches on (and if it does, they certainly have the money to spend to buy the .mobi they want... no matter WHO owns it)
2. they might not even know that their desired .mobi is being auctioned off, since sedo doesn't prospect large buyers very well
and

Aron, good assessment and points.

I do know that there is a massive awareness campaign going on.

But it is hard to tell who the generic is going to end up in who's hands. Take resume.mobi. You would think that rather than just the current .com holder would go after this, but also those that do not have the .com.

I can also see this going to the likes of Monster.com or CareerBuilder.com. I think it is a good word but not a strong word to be applied to a mobile platform. Nevertheless, for a job search engine via mobile device or a way to check on responses on the mobile device for those follow up contacts.

There are tons of names out there that have no correlation to a mobile lifestyle. Which means there are numerous bad regs out there.

mTLD is holding nearly 5500 premiums. But they are being selective in their decision making process. With the internet "land grab" going on, who better to receive Helsinki other than Helsinki, Finland? Otherwise, many of these premiere geo would just end up in the hands of domainers. Just like the .eu fiasco.

In regards to "catching on", I would imagine that Wachovia, RBC Centura, CitiGroup and the rest of the top banks are wondering what the hell is a mobi or pissed that BofA beat them to the punch after last week's news.

Again, the US is behind in this adoption. But like I said earlier, each sector of commerce not only watches their bottom line but keeps a sharp eye on their competition.

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
On recent form it would be a mind blowing assumption to assert that any of the US banking majors even understand their core businesses let alone domain names. Hell, even the latest Bush initiative is only aimed at trying to get them to understand that there might just be more logic in working with their clients on a survival plan rather than forcing them to default!

Doc and iDNName, you still can't give me one good, logical reason as to why Bank of America would pay big money for Loans.com, but wouldn't pay even 30k for Loans.mobi. Bank of America has proven to be not .mobi myopic - it did pick up Bofa.mobi. So why wouldn't it spend 30k and buy Loans.mobi?

Uh..maybe they don't have the 30k in cash, right?

Yes, but your problem is that without the major corporates spending massive budgets on .mobi sites the traffic will never come. As Catch 22 goes, this is completely Chicken and Egg!

The answer is simple and i answered in my post. Build it and they will come. They aren't buying generics now because there isn't the traffic to justify the spending. If the traffic comes, the money for generics will too. If it doesn't, then it won't.

NOKIA was the genesis behind the genius of .mobi

Here is the current esteemed dotMobi Board of Directors:

So just why does Nokia.mobi forwards to Nokia.com?

sashas

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

more than that, why does Nokia doesn't own Phones.mobi? As a founder, they would've known .mobi's popularity, right? Heck, they could've owned at least one from Cell.mobi, CellPhones.mobi, Phone.mobi, Mobile.mobi, Mobiles.mobi. But they're all held by either domainers or mTLD.

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
:cool:

sashas

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
IS THIS A POSSIBILITY:

My opinion:

3 things...

and

XF, if it were just a few names, it would've been fine.

But when you look at virtually ALL really premium names owned either by mTLD or domainers, you really start to question things. Even the ones relevant to .mobi aren't held by big corporations - Mobile, Mobiles, CellPhones, Cell, Phone, Phones, etc. are all owned by domainers and mTLD. Even for your name (which is one of the few .mobi names I really like), the .com is owned by a big corporation (Comedy Central owns Jokes.com)

Some premium names being owned by domainers is a good thing. It promotes name values. But virtually all premium names being owned by domainers and the registry just says that end users aren't biting. As domainers, we really wait for the end user sales - thats why domainers are willing to pay 20k+ for a LLL.com.

I know someone will mention .net/.org/.info here. Sure, big companies usually don't own .info too. But then, noone hypes .info and no one is really paying for 600k for .infos either. Heck, even .net, an extension which receives a fair amount of type ins and has the second most public recall among domainers can manage only xx,xxx sales. Music.net wouldn't have sold for more than 200k at an auction.

And the even more absurd part is when folks start comparing .mobi and .com, that .mobi is here to compete with .com.:smilewinkgrin:

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Duck, remember the little snippet on the Opera browser?

Guess what. Nokia.mobi is auto detecting that you are using a PC.

Nokia.mobi works great, fast and fine on my Helio Ocean.

Does anyone actually use a cell phone or smart phone to look at these things?

Or is it just more of the same old song and dance.

more than that, why does Nokia doesn't own Phones.mobi? As a founder, they would've known .mobi's popularity, right? Heck, they could've owned at least one from Cell.mobi, CellPhones.mobi, Phone.mobi, Mobile.mobi, Mobiles.mobi. But they're all held by either domainers or mTLD.
Oh shit, more of the same. Why don't they own this, why not that.

Hell, they have Nokia.mobi. What else to you want them to own?

You see, nothing is ever going to satisfy your insatiable appetite for the mundane bullshit and pointless questions.

And another thing? Why are you people in bed?

I have to work nights and I am an insomniac. With the shortage of healthcare professionals in this country, we need people like you in patient care setting or research. Full of questions, amazement and wonderment is what is leading to breakthrough discoveries in science and medicine.

And the even more absurd part is when folks start comparing .mobi and .com, that .mobi is here to compete with .com.:smilewinkgrin:
Wow, why in the hell did DNF purge old threads. I need my copy and paste threads back.

Arguments tried and failed being repeated over and over and over.

There is no competing with .com.

Two different markets. Two different formats. One is a new emerging market.

If you want to talk about competing with dot com, then compare and contrast .com and .cn.

Soon in China, there will be no competition between .com and .cn.

Research, research, research.

And why don't you people go to bed.

It's okay, I'll monitor things here while you get a good night's sleep.

.MOBI crashes Sedo... WOW!
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page)
haythemk

Today 03:56 AM
292 5,454

I don't know, if mobi is nothing and means nothing to most folks, well these numbers tell me that those folks are sure spending an awful lot of time and effort on...nothing.

And I am being called a fanatic?

jasdon11

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jasdon11 View Post
Pssst! Over here.......

Forget about technology - forget about browsers - it doesn't matter - it's a domain extension. If people notice it, and use it, it will be successful. That will happen if it gets exposure; 500k users of bofa.mobi-like-exposure....

So there you go, no need to be disturbed; you can get back to your job. Or is this your job, a professional poster at DNF?

Can you tell me of any of the big corporations paying big money for .mobi names? Consider the fact that Sony, Universal, Nokia, Motorola, EA, etc. all stayed out of the auctions for the top names (Music, Movies, Photos, Games, Videos, etc.) just tells me that the big corporations are not ready to shell out big money for .mobi

Bank of American got Bofa.mobi for reg fee. It sure didn't pay 100k for it. Bank of American also owns Loans.com. But it didn't consider paying even 30k for Loans.mobi - that tells you something, doesn't it?

Consider the other top names:

Games.com and Music.com - owned by AOL
Games.mobi and Music.mobi - owned by Alvaro

Movies.com - owned by Disney
Movies.mobi - owned by Alvaro

Film.com - Real Network
Film.mobi - mTLD

Game.com - Hasbro
Game.mobi - mTLD

Buy.com - owned by Buy.com
Buy.mobi - some domainer

Mobile.com - ATT
Mobile.mobi - mTLD

Online.com - CNET
Online.mobi - mTLD

eeks...

I can go on and on. In my brief search, Not ONE of the top generic keyword .mobi names are owned by large corporations. I might've found ONE premium generic keyword .mobi owned by a large corporation, but that would've taken me a long long time.

What does it tell you? That the big corporations are NOT paying for .mobi names.

If AOL owns Music.com and thought Music.mobi was worth it, wouldn't it have bought the name right now than 2 years later when (according to the .mobi lovers) the name would be much more expensive? Don't tell me that they couldn't afford it...

Same goes for Games.com and Games.mobi, Loans.com and Loans.mobi

Mobi lovers, try and give me an answer for this. All the premium .mobi names are still held either by mTLD, or by domainers (and not any of the big domainers, mind you. I couldn't find any premium .mobi name owned by Name Media or Marchex etc.). So basically, .mobi is being inflated by domainers...

And don't tell me that domainers own premium .com names too. Yes they do, and they don't sell because they have huge asking prices, and they have huge asking prices because they earn 6 figures through parking itself - they don't need to sell.

This is called a 'sucker punch' guys...I still challenge you to name some premium .mobi names owned by big corporations...

So, you just ignore any answers and come up with another question....well from now on for answers to all your questions, just refer to the bit at the top of this post. Unless that is, you find any discrepancy in what I wrote?

And another thing - you don't stick to your word, do you - see post #167

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
"Doc Com":- Don't tell me. Tell Nokia:

"Experience True Web.

There are billions of web pages out there, and now the new Nokia Mini Map Browser lets you view them as they were originally designed.

This gives you billions of reasons to have the new browser in you next Nokia mobile device.

Browse the Web as you know it."

http://www.nokia.com/browser

Now comes as standard with:

5500 Sport
N71
N73
N80
N91
N92
N93
E50
E60
E61
E70

Samsung on the other hand have gone with Opera:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16311653/

Motorola's browser is by contrast expectably lame but even they use a dot Com address as an example to show content in .Mobi style format. :rolleyes:

http://www.motorola.com/mot/doc/1/1392_MotDoc.swf

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Tell Nokia what? That nokia.mobi rocks on a cell phone (er, mobile)?

Because that is exactly what I get.

On the mobile I get nokia.mobi.

On the PC I get nokia.mobi. But when I click on a link, I get this:

Welcome to Nokia mobile site!
Unfortunately we could not recognize your phone, but please stay and see what kind of services and downloads we have available for supported Nokia terminals.

What does that say? It does not recognize my phone? Why, I am not on a phone at the moment.

So what is this talk nokia.mobi redirects to a .com?

Still, has anyone else tried this except me?

I am still baffled by the pointless points that are being made here in this thread. I truly do not understand why someone attempts to make a point, that point is disproven, and then another attempt to make a point. Obviously, I must be missing something here.

But is this not what you asked?

And what was the response given? Do you even know what browser Nokia uses?

Try Symbian. And not all cell phones are created equal. And not all Samsung use Opera.

http://www.symbian.com/phones/index.html

But that is okay.

I understand the confusion. It is new technology. We are domainers talking about domains. We have taken the consumerism in us out of the equation. We are in the mindset of domainers and damnit, that is what we are sticking to...what we know.

Everything else does not matter.

I have given everyone an invitation to try a .mobi site on a mobile enabled phone but the overwhelming peeps don't want to. That's fine.

But don't you think this is a little absurd:

.MOBI crashes Sedo... WOW! (Multi-page thread 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page)
haythemk

Today 06:25 AM
294 5,520

Man, the admin must be loving all of this.

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
There is obvious confusion out there, and Firefox has yet to enter the mobile browser fray as yet, but browsers that give open access to all websites and support all major operating systems on mobile platforms are coming. It is abundantly clear that whilst things are not fully in place a huge amount of money is being put behind supporting the platforms by the introduction of new applications and diddly squat is being invested into promoting site that require redesigning websites into a very limited format, that only arguably require a dot Mobi extension, and that are going to require enormous marketing expenditure to achieve branding cross-over.

Vision

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Tell Nokia:

How bout these apples, dotMobi naysayers!

NOKIA launches and markets a new .mobi site....

Here is the link:

http://asia.nokia.com/A4405606

Here is the text:

The Nokia for Business site, now available on the .mobi domain is optimized for mobile browser viewing and provides site visitors with information on the latest business phones and accessories, as well as business-related news and events.

Nokia for Business mobile features:

-Device and region specific for Nokia Eseries phones, but can also be viewed on any mobile phone browser

-Optimized for mobile browser viewing (note: PC browser is not optimal)

-Phone accessories made especially for your phone model
-Product Highlights showcase range of phones tailored for business
-Business Catalog features information on mobileware, such as email and file synchronization and provides a wide range of software options to customize your device

-Link library provides access to other business .mobi sites, such as Business Week, Financial Times and CNET and to industry-related news and events
Visit www.nokiaforbusiness.mobi – Business in the palm of your hand

sashas

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
But don't you think this is a little absurd:

.MOBI crashes Sedo... WOW! (Multi-page thread 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page)
haythemk

Today 06:25 AM
294 5,520

Doc, won't you agree that this thread makes for a very interesting and funny read? Hell I like responding just because I enjoy the argument :smilewinkgrin:

How bout these apples, dotMobi naysayers!

Here is the link:

http://asia.nokia.com/A4405606

Here is the text:

That still doesn't explain why Phones.mobi is owned by some internet company that has nothing to do with phones. Nokia founded .mobi, didn't it? Perhaps they would've had the vision and bought a premium generic to redirect to their Nokia.mobi site? Some reverse branding, perhaps?

But of course, if someone was being suckered into paying 100k for it, then let them. They know .mobi was a massive hype based fiasco anyway. Heck, they started it. They should know...if I started a extension tomorrow, I would make sure I get Domains.extension at least. Its what I do :smilewinkgrin:

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There is obvious confusion out there, and Firefox has yet to enter the mobile browser fray as yet, but browsers that give open access to all websites and support all major operating systems on mobile platforms are coming. It is abundantly clear that whilst things are not fully in place a huge amount of money is being put behind supporting the platforms by the introduction of new applications and diddly squat is being invested into promoting site that require redesigning websites into a very limited format, that only arguably require a dot Mobi extension, and that are going to require enormous marketing expenditure to achieve branding cross-over.
Ditto for any of the thousands of wap., m., i., tinyurl. mobile, mobi prefixes, suffixes, and subdomains. A redirect is a redirect requiring an additional URL no matter what animal you want to call it.

But here is a cool feature of .mobi.

It
works
on
a
PC
and
mobile
device
without
any
redirect
or
extra
effort.

Branding is branding, promotion is promotion. No matter what the effort, there will still be associated costs.

But what are the risks of using such a browser like opera that does not meet the consumers needs? Losing customers and traffic.

If you are telling me that I have to go to a site, and that the Opera4 browser will convert that into a "mobile" sized site, it is stripping out content. That is why you have the option of going back to full HTML mode, just like what I was describing on the helio ocean.

Trust me, it is not a pleasurable experience and time consuming. It will auto detect that I am on a phone and will auto format that full blown .com site to fit the screen. In doing so, it eliminates what it feels is irrelevant content.

So what do you do? You click on the option to go full site. You have already created a two step process in itself to get on to one site. Then on the full site, you take forever to find what you are looking for. The end result is time wasted on a not too friendly mobile "in appearance only" site that is essentially rendered non-usable, in most cases. To include the removal of graphics.

You do not get that on a .mobi compliant site. What you see is what you get...full feature. Apple made the mistake and several others continue to do so referring to it as a "stripped down" site. What is stripped down? All the fluff and puff is eliminated. You enter it and BOOM, you're there.

Even the chick in the video had to do this. Not sure what she was on, looked like a cnet site on the screen. Was she actually hunting for anything? did not appear to. She was simply demonstrating the differences in browser options and features.

Trust me, I can not stand to access my alltel (now windstream) email on the mobile. It will autoformat it to fit the phone. But I have to take it to full site mode to access the email link, enter user name, and password. That in itself takes quite a bit of scrolling. And the steps are repeated to access and read the emails. Seems like endless scrolling to get anywhere.

You can stand by Opera4, symbian, Safari, or any other browser that will auto format to fit a phone. But it is simply not a pleasurable experience.

So, if customers are not having a pleasurable experience and spending way too much time trying to find what they are looking for, they'll end up going somewhere else. The SmartPhones are to give the customer what the SmartPhones thinks the customer wants. But the customer is still smarter than the phone.

Already I am going to be switching to a .mobi compliant email and have mail forwarded there.

And by the way, I hope no one missed the news about Google Adsense for Mobile. I know of one person who switched over and is ecstatic with the results in just a few days.

I gotta go to bed, so keep on trashing and thrashing .mobi and me.

We can take it.

That still doesn't explain why Phones.mobi is owned by some internet company that has nothing to do with phones. Nokia founded .mobi, didn't it? Perhaps they would've had the vision and bought a premium generic to redirect to their Nokia.mobi site? Some reverse branding, perhaps?
Really, I don't understand your point.

Who owns what...Nokia owns Nokia.mobi? Why do you need an explanation on the same pointless point.

Ok, I give. Nokia does not own Phones.mobi.

Probably does not own mobile, phonebook, numbers, cell, cellphone, mobilephones, nokiaphones, ringtones, callme, nokianokia, dial, dialtone, dials, pushbutton...

It owns nokia.mobi.

No, nothing explains why Nokia does not own phones better than Nokia's PR department or marketing department.

Here, go straight to the source.

http://www.nokia.fi/
http://www.forum.nokia.com/main/go_to_market/nokia_sales_channels.html
http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/forum/index.php
http://www.adforum.com/creative_archive/award/award_detail.asp?awy=2006&ID=888891

Tell them doc com sent you. If that doesn't work tell them Gerry. They're expecting your call.

Good night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom