Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

.MOBI crashes Sedo... WOW!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sashas

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
That's why I am not selling many .com, as you know.

That is also why I can afford to speculate on domains, emerging markets, stocks, and real estate.

But, as any speculation, research and education and studying markets and trends is crucial. I have done my homework. I am not only happy with the decision I made but also very confident in its success

Diversification.

Only three cars? How many glocks, biatch!

Don't put that hard earned cash into speculative markets and emerging markets.

I would rather take the risk for you regarding the "no real application" of .mobi being equated to mobile connectivity. Glad to help you preserve your lifestyle.

Doc, thats the whole point. You can afford to speculate cause you know your .coms can soak up the loss. But I head over to NP and I see newbies regging crap .mobi names and losing money, then posting as to why they can't sell domains...thats what worries me. The little guy gets screwed in the end.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Doc, thats the whole point. You can afford to speculate cause you know your .coms can soak up the loss. But I head over to NP and I see newbies regging crap .mobi names and losing money, then posting as to why they can't sell domains...thats what worries me. The little guy gets screwed in the end.
I can afford to speculate because I have studied the market, done my homework, did my research, and have 100% confidence in this extension.

I guess that third sentence you quoted (that I did write) should have been first to relieve any doubt. But, that what I get on such little sleep.

It is not about absorbing lose. Mobis are not worth a hoot for parking revenue. I have many that are getting decent traffic but pay pennies compared to dot com and others.

The real value is in developed sites.

As for people regging crap names at NP...take a look at what people are selling on this forum. And I ain't talking .mobi. Amazing and amusing.

Perhaps some feel that their mission is to save the lost souls from making bad decisions or tired of the mobi-evangelism (fmobi TM).

Bottom line, this forum is domainers talking about domains and it is apparent that the only people that this whole thread about .mobi matters to is to domainers.

As for bad domains, tens of thousands drop and expire each day. I would consider 98-99% bad, imo. Any time a new name is regged by a domainer it is on pure speculation that is will do better, someone will want worse than me, and gee...I hope I can make a bunch of money.

I did not reg a single .mobi on speculation. This is an emerging and massive market with adoption and acceptance world wide. It may be a little slow in coming but it is happening way too fast in regions elsewhere.

My recent speculation are L-L-L.coms. Will this pan out? Don't know. I have some that are getting very good traffic and PPC. Some nothing, yet.

I am not one to listen to the masses and am quite capable of making my own decisions. Had I listen to people on this forum or the "expert" advice else where, this is what I have read:

No numbers
No hyphens
Only .coms
No more than 7 letters

Advice given out not more than 2 or 3 years ago and some still today.

I was laughing then and laughing now. I hoped like hell all domainers were following that advice. And it appears they were.

Sometimes domainers are the ones that need saving, not the noobs.

But I am not into saving people on a forum or selling a thing. Educate, educate, research, research, diverse, diverse, party, party.

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What happened, I just woke up... ;)

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The logical, rational and ultimately safe diversification is to serve those 80% of people that are not going to use English as a medium to surf the internet.

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The logical, rational and ultimately safe diversification is to serve those 80% of people that are not going to use English as a medium to surf the internet.

Now there is a good suggestion...:yes:

..Compadre

jasdon11

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

For each crap .mobi that gets reg'd - how many crap .somethingelseincludingdotcom get's reg'd - 10, 100, 1000, 10000, more ???

30000 names dropping every day - approx 600k .mobis reg'd - if every .mobi reg'd were to drop over the next 12 months, which ain't gonna happen (NONE of mine will be dropping) that would be a ratio of 18:1

So let's say 20% drop; now you're looking at 72:1 - is that worth your time and effort? Take you mission somewhere else.

Do you know what I think this is? I think y'all want to be convinced into buying some; something tells you you should be getting onto the .mobi train, but need to hear the thing that appeals to your senses enough to take the leap. That's why you jump into every thread about .mobi. It's like a young kid pretending not to like that girl in their school class - they might ignore her at first, even make fun of her infront of his peers, but inside he's got a huge crush on her....it's flirting!

If he really didn't fancy her, he wouldn't pay her any attention, you know, like .biz; the boring one.

sashas

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Do you know what I think this is? I think y'all want to be convinced into buying some; something tells you you should be getting onto the .mobi train, but need to hear the thing that appeals to your senses enough to take the leap. That's why you jump into every thread about .mobi. It's like a young kid pretending not to like that girl in their school class - they might ignore her at first, even make fun of her infront of his peers, but inside he's got a huge crush on her....it's flirting!

I don't buy domains that don't sell to end users. I'm not a developer, so the only money I make is through domain sales. And when end users don't buy names in .mobi, I don't see any point or reason to buy them either.

When Sony spends a million dollars and buys Music.mobi, and EA buys Games.mobi for another million, I'll be convinced. But as long as an extension keeps on trading between domainers, I won't spend a dime on it.

Heck, if they'd promoted .vc or .bs enough, domainers would've jumped on that too..

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't buy domains that don't sell to end users. I'm not a developer, so the only money I make is through domain sales. And when end users don't buy names in .mobi, I don't see any point or reason to buy them either.

When Sony spends a million dollars and buys Music.mobi, and EA buys Games.mobi for another million, I'll be convinced. But as long as an extension keeps on trading between domainers, I won't spend a dime on it.

Heck, if they'd promoted .vc or .bs enough, domainers would've jumped on that too..
Come up with something original.

Should espn buy sports, baseball, football, hockey, basketball, soccer, rugby, ncaa, or just stick with espn.mobi (active).

Should CNNmoney buy Money, finance, banking, invest, ticker, stocks, wall street, or just stick to CNNmoney.mobi (active).

Should BusinessWeek buy business, week, journal, news, markets, fed, forex, or just stick with BusinessWeek.mobi (active).

I hope the domain gods send you a sign soon.

.MOBI crashes Sedo... WOW! (Multi-page thread 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page)
haythemk

Today 07:37 AM
329 6,214

Nearly one week and 17 pages later.

More longevity than the energizer bunny.

WEBecri

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

Last Month I've sold the .mobi domain TeeTimes.mobi to WorldGolf LLC. Salesprice: $ 10,000. END USER SALE!

I received this bid on Sedo. My minimal price was set at $ 5,000, but the company bidded $ 10k at once. No negotiations, the buyer just wanted this domain, for future purposes. In the Netherlands I've sold two .mobi domains to end users. Uitslagen.mobi (Scores.mobi) to Uitslagen.nl and Bellen.mobi (Call.mobi) to a Mobile Phone company. These both sales were mid/low X,XXX.

All end user sales...!

sashas

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Last Month I've sold the .mobi domain TeeTimes.mobi to WorldGolf LLC. Salesprice: $ 10,000. END USER SALE!

I received this bid on Sedo. My minimal price was set at $ 5,000, but the company bidded $ 10k at once. No negotiations, the buyer just wanted this domain, for future purposes. In the Netherlands I've sold two .mobi domains to end users. Uitslagen.mobi (Scores.mobi) to Uitslagen.nl and Bellen.mobi (Call.mobi) to a Mobile Phone company. These both sales were mid/low X,XXX.

All end user sales...!

There always will be a few suckers and a few end user sales. I never denied that. I asked for MAJOR end users, the ones with whom I can really say "Follow the money".
There have been such such end user sales in lots of extensions. Ski.ag for $16,000+, Onyx.ch for $45k, Kreuzfarhten.ch for 18k, Honlap.hu for $18k.

Fact remains that there will ALWAYS be an end user for some particular name in some particular extension, whether its .ch, .ag, or .hu.
But no one hypes these extensions up and domainers don't pay 600k+ in these. Why? Because there's no marketing, and then there's no big corporate money involved (which is the same case with .mobi - no BIG corporate money).

So no, a few freak end user sales don't change things. A few freak end user sales can be found in virtually all extensions. StyleXP.ro for 6k+, BOC.rg for 3k+....DnSalePrice is your friend

When Sony or Universal pay $1million for Music.mobi, I'll be convinced. Until then, its all pure speculation, and too much at that.

jasdon11

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There always will be a few suckers and a few end user sales. I never denied that. I asked for MAJOR end users, the ones with whom I can really say "Follow the money".
There have been such such end user sales in lots of extensions. Ski.ag for $16,000+, Onyx.ch for $45k, Kreuzfarhten.ch for 18k, Honlap.hu for $18k.

Fact remains that there will ALWAYS be an end user for some particular name in some particular extension, whether its .ch, .ag, or .hu.
But no one hypes these extensions up and domainers don't pay 600k+ in these. Why? Because there's no marketing, and then there's no big corporate money involved (which is the same case with .mobi - no BIG corporate money).

So no, a few freak end user sales don't change things. A few freak end user sales can be found in virtually all extensions. StyleXP.ro for 6k+, BOC.rg for 3k+....DnSalePrice is your friend

When Sony or Universal pay $1million for Music.mobi, I'll be convinced. Until then, its all pure speculation, and too much at that.

And what will you do at that point? Change your criteria for judging success - or wish you didn't have that 'follower' gene?

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
These arguments against have all become pointless.

It reminds me of Goldilocks and Three Bears:

This site is too big, this site is too small, this site is just right...wait! No it's not. Its a dot mobi!

Eeek!

Grandma, save me.

Certainly my dear.

SLURP! MUNCH! BURP!

mjnels

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

yep, end users dont buy mobi's on the aftermarket. ;)

soooo therefore, the money i get from a sale isnt real.

i wonder when a .commer sells a LLL.com to someone if they make them fill out a questionnaire..... you know... just to make sure they are making a financially sound investment for their specific situation and that the person inquiring is a REAL end user (it would be a shame to accept domainer money)

personally, if i came to the conclusion they were overspending or did not really need the domain, i would tell them this... because i care deeply. :-/

sashas

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
And what will you do at that point? Change your criteria for judging success - or wish you didn't have that 'follower' gene?

dude, from the looks of it, you're the follower - following the hype. And I wouldn't recommend that you get personal with your attacks. We don't want that here. Can leave ugly messes.

And Doc, I don't quite understand what you see "pointless" in my argument? That domainers are paying MORE than end users? To me, thats not quite pointless...

Just a quick question. Whats the highest .mobi end user sale, regardless of name or company?

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
And Doc, I don't quite understand what you see "pointless" in my argument? That domainers are paying MORE than end users? To me, thats not quite pointless...

Just a quick question. Whats the highest .mobi end user sale, regardless of name or company?
You keep asking the same questions over and over

Who gives two shits about who owns what?

I made a decent .com sale the other night on this very forum. Buyer happy, seller happy. No end user involved. Don't give two shits where it ends up.

I made money on the sale and buyer bought below market value. We're happy. Now where does that leave .com?

Imagine, domainers talking domains and domainers selling domains to other domainers.

You keep asking the same pointless points over and over:

Try this out.

Why does DNForum.com not own Forum.com, Domain.com, Domains.com, Name.com, Names.com?

Ask this of the admin.

When you state:

When Sony spends a million dollars and buys Music.mobi, and EA buys Games.mobi for another million, I'll be convinced.

Why not when sony buys music.com and ea sports buys games.com.

Or how about Ford buying Toyota.com and redirecting it to Ford.

But as long as an extension keeps on trading between domainers, I won't spend a dime on it.

Please ask the mods to cancel all threads pertaining to sales on this forum if you object to domainers selling to domainers.

This is exhausting. Not once have I tried to sell any domain on this thread and not once have I attempted to sell a .mobi anywhere.

I am my own end user.

XF.com

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

I agree 100%.

The problem is, by then... when the big players are spending millions
on the top generic terms... it'll be too late to jump in.

Speculation and educated risks are what we're doing with .mobi.

If it never pans out, oh well, some of us have lost... what?
$50,000? $100,000? $250,000?

It's all relative to what a person/company can afford to speculate with.

It's no different than buying a plot of land outside the city limits...
when it seems that all signs point to the city to move in the direction towards your lot.

If it never happens, oh well... I speculated on the lot and I was wrong.

NONE OF US that has invested in .mobi will be ruined if the extension goes under.

NONE.

I doubt anyone's putting their life savings in .mobi

We're speculating on small amounts of money (relative to our actual worth).

But again,

if you're waiting on a few MILLION dollar end user sales...
that would mean .mobi is rapidly catching .com and it will be too
late to buy a good generic...

just like it's too late to nab a good generic .com for anything
"reasonable"

Ok...

I'm sitting back again :)

thanks.

XF.com

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Really? You think so?

I was referring to the top names ever sold for .mobi

(As in from $20,000 on up)

I know the owner-names on that list won't struggle if
the extension goes under.

That's the group I was referring to

(the people that are being accused of WAY overpaying
just based on speculation)

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom