Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

epik What's the point of Epik Forever Registration?

This is a discussion about the domain name registrar/company Epik.

accurate

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I use Forever Registration on my ultra-premium .com domains.

My premiums are on annual auto renewal.

Solution
I would just like to push back on this point, for those of you who don't understand the Forever Domains and why they're great for the right customer.

Yep. Epik can do a lot to appreciate the value of the 399 deposit. Buy what does that do for the domainer? The domainer can save the 399, pay annual renewal through regular auto renew, and appreciate that money which will go to their pocket.

It seems you don't have a problem understanding that Epik can do a lot to appreciate the value of the $399 deposit over time - one of the problems appears to be that you don't understand it from the domainer perspective - and that's perfectly fine.

I'm assuming here, and correct me if I'm wrong, that one the issues is it that...

Tom K.

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

How is forever registration a business model? No registry offers that. Maximum is 10 years that costs at least $170. Forever registration at Epik is $399. Which would cover over 25 years. The assumption would be that 99.9999% of domains would not be registered for that long. And how is that financially feasible for multiple domains.

Domain summit 2024

Tom K.

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
So you pay $399 for one domain and be stuck with Epik for the life of that domain. Otherwise you lose the forever registration promise. And who knows if Epik will be around 25 years from now. What kind of deal is that?

Tom K.

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

This video needs serious fact checking. Forever registration does not exist. It simply does not exist. Registrations are made through TLD registries. If a registry does not offer any possibility of a domain registration over 10 years, then a registrar can not offer that either. What Epik is doing is promising to perpetually renew a domain in the name of the registrant at the registry for as long as the domain is at Epik. It is a promise to renew. The domain is not registered forever. Essentially it is equivalent of auto renew at any registrar but with a prepayment attached.

Tom K.

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The "forever registration" is one of the biggest scams I have seen among the registrars.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
How is forever registration a business model? No registry offers that. Maximum is 10 years that costs at least $170. Forever registration at Epik is $399. Which would cover over 25 years. The assumption would be that 99.9999% of domains would not be registered for that long. And how is that financially feasible for multiple domains.
I pay a $99 deposit to lock in my order of Elon Musk's Starlink, even before regulatory bodies give permission for them to do business in Japan.

I don't see this any different.

They're taking a huge markup for what can't be bought now (lifetime) and leveraging the money they get now into something else that will pay off. I mean, heck, put 1/2 of that into Bitcoin and 1/2 into a 10-year renewal right now and you'll be able to renew it yearly without a doubt, even if 10 years later they need to move their appreciated value of Bitcoin into something esle (just an example of the future value of money).

I find it odd that people in domain name investing find this concept hard to understand.
The "forever registration" is one of the biggest scams I have seen among the registrars.
I'll give you a pass on whether you feel Epik will be around to fulfill the promise or not, but that's an entirely different subject than if they'll have the money.

Tom K.

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I pay a $99 deposit to lock in my order of Elon Musk's Starlink, even before regulatory bodies give permission for them to do business in Japan.

I don't see this any different.

They're taking a huge markup for what can't be bought now (lifetime) and leveraging the money they get now into something else that will pay off. I mean, heck, put 1/2 of that into Bitcoin and 1/2 into a 10-year renewal right now and you'll be able to renew it yearly without a doubt, even if 10 years later they need to move their appreciated value of Bitcoin into something esle (just an example of the future value of money).

I find it odd that people in domain name investing find this concept hard to understand.
I'll give you a pass on whether you feel Epik will be around to fulfill the promise or not, but that's an entirely different subject than if they'll have the money.
Yep. Epik can do a lot to appreciate the value of the 399 deposit. Buy what does that do for the domainer? The domainer can save the 399, pay annual renewal through regular auto renew, and appreciate that money which will go to their pocket.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Buy what does that do for the domainer?
Buy time.

Not everyone is ready to die. What if your domains right now are set to expire in 1-2 years and for the life of your significant other or other heirs cannot gain access to your account in time?

You bought them time to get their hands on assets by forward-thinking an error such as your fireproof safe being not so fireproof or a thumb drive corrupting could happen.

This is one example where I see forever stepping up to the plate, and a good one at that if you dropped a couple thousand per name yourself.

Tom K.

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Buy time.

Not everyone is ready to die. What if your domains right now are set to expire in 1-2 years and for the life of your significant other or other heirs cannot gain access to your account in time?

You bought them time to get their hands on assets by forward-thinking an error such as your fireproof safe being not so fireproof or a thumb drive corrupting could happen.

This is one example where I see forever stepping up to the plate, and a good one at that if you dropped a couple thousand per name yourself.
You can accomplish the same with auto renew. And with much less risk. Are we to expect Epik to be around for another quarter of a century? If Rob sells the company, who is say the new owner will honor this thing? That's in the best scenario. It is more likely that the company may not exist that long. The only thing holding this "forever registration" in place is Epik's TOS. TOS can be changed or skirted.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You can accomplish the same with auto renew.
I didn't know my credit cards would stay active after my death. I guess I can cancel my life insurance policy and my wife can max out my credit line instead.

Joke/sarcasm aside as I hope you really understand what happens after death there...

You're paying $400 for peace of mind on a $25,000+ name. It's worth it for the OP and I at least.

But we all know you have trust issues with Epik and you won't find sound reasoning in anything that I've said or will continue to say, so this will just remain an open topic for others to consider both sides of the argument.

I have nothing more to add in that I don't want to talk in circles.

JennBlogger

Level 4
Reaction score

What's the point of Epik Forever Registration?​

After reading what that was about, the point is to monetize suckers.

accurate

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The only domains I've done this on are ones that I intend to pass on. I don't want those people worrying about renewals.

A lot of people remember the Ms Jello LLC drop disaster. Sad story. 😢

These are ultra-premium .com assets. It's not worth it for anything else.

To define "ultra premium" domains, I've had 6-figure offers on all these and I get weekly offers. 😊

Registration was out already for 8 or 9 years. There was a discount given.

If domains are always registered out for 10 years it makes them harder to steal. 🔒

Registry lock is $300 - $700 per year, depending on the registrar.

Maybe @Epik is scamming. I know several other domain investors that have done this with their ultra premium domain names.

They seem happy with the service and idea.

Tom K.

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I didn't know my credit cards would stay active after my death. I guess I can cancel my life insurance policy and my wife can max out my credit line instead.
Cell phone number and email do not stay active after death either. If a surviving family member doesn't know how to change the credit card or registrant info at the registrar then likely they are not aware that the domain is being perpetually renewed. Or the value of the domain or how to sell it, ie what to do with it. The domain is in limbo. Theoretically, Epik can sell it on their aftermarket if the owner can no longer be verified because the domain has not been passed to the surviving family member. The owner who is concerned about dying and passing on the investment to the family will ensure that a will is made with complete instructions. Perpetual renewal alone does not solve foreseeable problems. So what if the domain is forever renewed if the surviving family doesn't know it exists or how to take possession. If Epik should lose their registrar status, change ownership, or go out of business, the domain will be lost.

Tom K.

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
At the registrar I am using, I have an account rep. You can also give instructions to put on file to the rep (because the rep can also change) who to contact in the event of death so that the surviving family member can be contacted and walked through how to update the registrant info, the value of the domain, and how to sell it, if they wish. Assuming that that member is illiterate when it comes to domains. So there are a lot of details to be concerned about that perpetual renewal doesn't solve.

accurate

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have my own estate planning I am not going to go into on public forum.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Theoretically, Epik can sell it on their aftermarket if the owner can no longer be verified because the domain has not been passed to the surviving family member.
As I said, it buys time to get things in order.
You can also give instructions to put on file to the rep (because the rep can also change) who to contact in the event of death so that the surviving family member can be contacted and walked through how to update the registrant info, the value of the domain, and how to sell it, if they wish.
Theoretically, they can ignore all of these instructions, provided you have no lawyer to push it from your side, which I would presume is more than $399.

Tom K.

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You can also give instructions to put on file to the rep (because the rep can also change) who to contact in the event of death so that the surviving family member can be contacted and walked through how to update the registrant info, the value of the domain, and how to sell it, if they wish.

Theoretically, they can ignore all of these instructions, provided you have no lawyer to push it from your side, which I would presume is more than $399.
You can set up multiple layers for protection of your investment. This is just one of them. I mentioned others before that. Obviously you can not rely on this alone either.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You can set up multiple layers for protection of your investment.
Except that you're adamantly against Forever Registration while potentially setting yourself up for failure if there is no lawyer involved. Plus, I must add, you might be putting your family members at risk. Surely, a name is not enough. What else do they store above that: a driver's license, passport...? I know my beneficiary on financial platforms take name, resident, and SSN. I would call your protection weak if it's name only, very easily to be social engineered then.

Wouldn't you advocate for both on, say a $100,000 name, then bundle that with CS rep instructions? Seems like these two would work better than CS instructions alone.

But, I get it. The core of your argument is against Epik, nothing more.

Tom K.

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Except that you're adamantly against Forever Registration while potentially setting yourself up for failure if there is no lawyer involved. Plus, I must add, you might be putting your family members at risk. Surely, a name is not enough. What else do they store above that: a driver's license, passport...? I know my beneficiary on financial platforms take name, resident, and SSN. I would call your protection weak if it's name only, very easily to be social engineered then.

Wouldn't you advocate for both on, say a $100,000 name, then bundle that with CS rep instructions? Seems like these two would work better than CS instructions alone.

But, I get it. The core of your argument is against Epik, nothing more.
I am against "Forever Registration" because it does not exist. If you call it "Perpetual Renewal" that would be different because it would reflect more closely the product description. Now, if you have a 6 figure domain, is the "Forever Registration" as offered by Epik sufficient protection?

nicole2020

Level 2
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I am against "Forever Registration" because it does not exist. If you call it "Perpetual Renewal" that would be different because it would reflect more closely the product description. Now, if you have a 6 figure domain, is the "Forever Registration" as offered by Epik sufficient protection?
I will not comment your opinions. But we can't stop somebody want to own this option. It just likes some people think that BTC is a scam. But some people trust it.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators