Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

epik What's the point of Epik Forever Registration?

This is a discussion about the domain name registrar/company Epik.

accurate

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I use Forever Registration on my ultra-premium .com domains.

My premiums are on annual auto renewal.

Solution
I would just like to push back on this point, for those of you who don't understand the Forever Domains and why they're great for the right customer.

Yep. Epik can do a lot to appreciate the value of the 399 deposit. Buy what does that do for the domainer? The domainer can save the 399, pay annual renewal through regular auto renew, and appreciate that money which will go to their pocket.

It seems you don't have a problem understanding that Epik can do a lot to appreciate the value of the $399 deposit over time - one of the problems appears to be that you don't understand it from the domainer perspective - and that's perfectly fine.

I'm assuming here, and correct me if I'm wrong, that one the issues is it that...

Steff

Level 2
Reaction score
The answer to your question cannot be answered because all you are doing is arguing from ignorance. We cannot tell the future, therefore it cannot be settled.
The blog says that some registries "are" embracing Freehold registrations as a practice, with one-off outright purchase. That's present tense from 3 years ago.

Arguing out of ignorance??? I think that Rob and Epik view their users as idiots. Any intelligent person can see the forever registration is complete BS. There are more outrageous comments in that blog article. I'll get to them later.

I just want to thank the member who posted a link to that blog article. I didn't even know it existed before that.

Domain summit 2024

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Arguing out of ignorance??? I think that Rob and Epik view their users as idiots. Any intelligent person can see the forever registration is complete BS. There are more outrageous comments in that blog article. I'll get to them later.
The future value of money has already been discussed by me and @JLJ also brings up good points that Forever may not be for everyone too.

Anything you add is only an argument from ignorance because the point you are trying to make is that Epik will not fulfill the promise, which again, cannot be proven valid until:
A) your point is proven or B) you die (and someone else carries on the same (in)valid argument awaiting the peril of Epik).

accurate

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Steff

Level 2
Reaction score
Anything you add is only an argument from ignorance because the point you are trying to make is that Epik will not fulfill the promise, which again, cannot be proven valid until:
If Rob makes claims then he should be able to back them up. Don't you think that is reasonable?

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If Rob makes claims then he should be able to back them up. Don't you think that is reasonable?
The claim is already made. You just don't accept that it's a valid claim and are arguing from pure ignorance because it cannot be tested until a future date, unbeknownst by all.

Forever domains offers convenience and peace of mind. Buy a domain once and never have to pay for it again. No more renewals. No accidental domain loss.
Source: https://www.epik.com/forever

Steff

Level 2
Reaction score
The claim is already made. You just don't accept that it's a valid claim and are arguing from pure ignorance because it cannot be tested until a future date, unbeknownst by all.
The claim is:
that some registries "are" embracing Freehold registrations as a practice, with one-off outright purchase.
Don't play mind games. It is not a claim that cannot be verified until a future time unbeknownst to all. What is the source of that claim? What registries?

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
My bad, I thought we were on Forever registration. What I previously said in that regard.
I'm not quite certain. I've quoted it and am tagging @robmonster (the author) to see if he can give any insight on what it means. I hope it solves everything you've brought up, but somehow I don't think it'll fulfill the perpetual argument from ignorance.
1636640678802.png

Steff

Level 2
Reaction score
My bad, I thought we were on Forever registration. What I previously said in that regard.
Yes we are on the Forever registration topic. The claim was made to support it. It was made 3 years ago and in present tense. A person commented with the question which remains unanswered. Why is that? Is it because the claim was baseless and deceptive?

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Why is that?
Perhaps because he's a CEO of a fairly big company and has to oversee dozens of employees as well as outside criticism?
Is it because the claim was baseless and deceptive?
Why do you find negativity in everything?

You're a member here and Rob is also a member here. Instead of assuming the worst about Epik and Rob, why don't you tag him and ask him what it means?

I'm not speaking for him, but I don't think he'll feed you. So, as hard as it may be for you, try asking in a neutral unbiased manner when you tag him in the question and I'm sure you'll get an answer. Whether you'll accept that answer is a different story...

Steff

Level 2
Reaction score
I'm not speaking for him, but I don't think he'll feed you. So, as hard as it may be for you, try asking in a neutral unbiased manner when you tag him in the question and I'm sure you'll get an answer. Whether you'll accept that answer is a different story...
Can you suggest the best way to frame the question so as to get a response?

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Can you suggest the best way to frame the question so as to get a response?
I don't know, ask a question in a manner of how you'd like to be asked. He's human; treat him like one. How you wrote it comes off as accusing him of something, so why would he even want to entertain that? Again, I'm not speaking for him, and you can tag him. But, your questions remind me of Jim Acosta "asking" (accusing) Trump questions.

How about trying a simple:

What does x mean?

Steff

Level 2
Reaction score
Well, I guess we can't expect an answer from Rob. And I think we all know why. Because it was a misleading and false claim.

accurate

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I checked my account. I only have one on Forever Renewal. 😊

I've thought of it for other domains.

I use Forever Registration on my ultra-premium .com domains.

Steff

Level 2
Reaction score

"Epik shall renew the Forever Domain for the maximum period permitted by the applicable domain registry that governs said domain (e.g. .COM). Once a Forever registration is purchased, the user shall not be responsible for paying any cost associated with renewal of the Forever Domain at Epik.

Thereafter, so long as the Forever Domain remains registered at Epik, Epik shall annually renew said domain for 1 additional year, provided the TLD registry in question allows the expiration date to be extended that far. Epik shall endeavor to maintain the expiration date for the Forever Domain, at all times, multiple years in the future, thereby precluding any chance of expiry. Epik shall undertake this obligation in perpetuity, to pay for ongoing renewals for as long as the Forever Domain remains registered at Epik and provided that the associated registry allows renewal of said domain."

So Epik renews the domain for a maximum period allowed, which is 10 years, once. Thereafter it is a year at a time. You can do that yourself for a lot cheaper, btw. It is laughable they state they will renew for 1 additional year, provided the TLD registry allows it to be extended that far. Why wouldn't a TLD registry allow you to renew for 1 additional year? Then they stipulate:

"At any time, the User may suspend future renewals of the Forever Domain by writing to Epik and requesting such a suspension of the Forever Registration."

If you already paid for a "forever domain registration", what would the point be of suspending it? Do you get your money back? @Epik

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you already paid for a "forever domain registration", what would the point be of suspending it? Do you get your money back? @Epik
If it's transferrable, I could think of one good reason to suspend it: The buyer doesn't want to wrap it into the price, or tries to get a reduced price as they'll move elsewhere, so you drop it on them.

Steff

Level 2
Reaction score
If it's transferrable, I could think of one good reason to suspend it: The buyer doesn't want to wrap it into the price, or tries to get a reduced price as they'll move elsewhere, so you drop it on them.
If it's paid for with a single payment, then there is no further cost involved. Correct? And if the domain is transferred out, what incentive is there to write an official request to suspend the renewal? The only possible reason is that there could be future costs incurred. In which case it is not a forever registration.

Steff

Level 2
Reaction score
Are there penalties for transferring a "forever domain" out of Epik. @Epik, can you comment on this? Or will you remain silent forever?

Steff

Level 2
Reaction score
I would imagine at transfer out the forever reg part is canceled, so no need for a formal written request.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators