Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

opinion What is a "Struggle Session" and why we should avoid them at DNForum

This is an opinion held by the original poster regarding the material discussed in the first post of the thread, be it domain name related or not.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Amplify said you quoted him out of context. Stop twisting, and post the entire quote from Rob, with before and after context. It's not hard.
He wants the users to dig for the truth themselves with the link provided (that I already had). He does this knowing that most (in an audience that isn't critical thinkers) will likely blindly follow him instead of seeking the truth as it's more convenient to follow than seek.

If he does the job of posting even the 5 paragraphs prior and 5 after that specific phrasing, he will know himself that he is posting out of context too. I have a suspicion that he already knows it is though. But, he can't post it because it will make the 18 only posts made on here to disparage Epik and Rob moot, proving this exact thread about struggle sessions to be true.

Domain summit 2024

mr-x

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
He wants the users to dig for the truth themselves with the link provided (that I already had). He does this knowing that most (in an audience that isn't critical thinkers) will likely blindly follow him instead of seeking the truth as it's more convenient to follow than seek.

If he does the job of posting even the 5 paragraphs prior and 5 after that specific phrasing, he will know himself that he is posting out of context too. I have a suspicion that he already knows it is though. But, he can't post it because it will make the 18 only posts made on here to disparage Epik and Rob moot, proving this exact thread about struggle sessions to be true.

Shorter: Easier to lie than admit you were wrong.

DapperJohn

Level 3
Reaction score
You mentioned Rob's Christianity in your first response. His Christianity has been mentioned as a negative many times on NP; nothing Rob can say will be accepted by the majority on NP.

A new member of NP, a self described ambassador for anonymous, made a veiled threat against Rob, it's still up.

I don't care for Rob's handling of events but I'm not going to blame him for the criminal breach of Epik's network. Rob should follow the advice of his legal council.

Anything he says will be criticized and spun; the less said the better, imo.
Actually, that word is nowhere in my first post. And again, the problem is not him being Christian, it's how he's using it. Already went over that.

Amplify said you quoted him out of context. Stop twisting, and post the entire quote from Rob, with before and after context. It's not hard.
For you and amplify, it wasn't you guys that quoted Rob, posted the video, linked to the transcript, I did. I think you guys maybe wanted to hide it since everybody agrees it wasn't a good look. You've made many posts now and for some reason can't quote what you think I should be reading. I went over it and it's not good the before and after. Which tells me again, you guys didn't actually watch the video or read.

Shorter: Easier to lie than admit you were wrong.
I haven't lied about anything but you have. You even lied in the NP thread about how old the data was, until somebody called you out on it. But it seems that's par for the course for you.

Took 10 seconds.

Another thread called "Rob Monster", the first post criticized Rob's religion.

View attachment 5427
Same answer, you just posted some screenshot showing people and they are not calling him out because he's Christian but how he's using it. Statistically over half the forum would be Christian. Do you see others getting "attacked" because of it? And what you posted is usually in response to Rob bringing up Christianity. I mean it's literally in the first email sent out about the breach, about Epik/Rob praying for it's customers. I can understand that if the goal is to become a niche Christian registrar but if you want widespread appeal. leave the religion at home. Again, common sense.

mr-x

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Actually, that word is nowhere in my first post. And again, the problem is not him being Christian, it's how he's using it. Already went over that.

I posted 10 examples of people on NP criticizing Rob for being a Christian. Took 10 seconds to find. If Rob didn't express himself as a Christian you wouldn't know what his religion is.

You're not as smart as your ego leads you to believe.

DapperJohn

Level 3
Reaction score
I posted 10 examples of people on NP criticizing Rob for being a Christian. Took 10 seconds to find. If Rob didn't express himself as a Christian you wouldn't know what his religion is.

You're not as smart as your ego leads you to believe.
You keep repeating yourself, wrongly. I literally just went over that in my last post.

"If Rob didn't express himself as a Christian you wouldn't know what his religion is."

Exactly. I went over that as well.

It's how he's using it. He used it in the first email. He's using it on cam. He uses it everywhere. It's a business, not a church.

mr-x

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Same answer, you just posted some screenshot showing people and they are not calling him out because he's Christian but how he's using it. Statistically over half the forum would be Christian. Do you see others getting "attacked" because of it? And what you posted is usually in response to Rob bringing up Christianity. I mean it's literally in the first email sent out about the breach, about Epik/Rob praying for it's customers. I can understand that if the goal is to become a niche Christian registrar but if you want widespread appeal. leave the religion at home. Again, common sense.

frank-germany has done it several times. bmugford, others mock Rob for expressing his Christianity. As usual, you spin the truth in an attempt win an argument. Stop.

DapperJohn

Level 3
Reaction score
frank-germany has done it several times. bmugford, others mock Rob for expressing his Christianity. As usual, you spin the truth in an attempt win an argument. Stop.
You are the one who's spinning and it seems you may be a bit slow. Same answer. It's how he's using it. And some of those people are Christians themselves. Learn to read.

DomainsGENERAL.com

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
If Rob didn't express himself as a Christian you wouldn't know what his religion is.
That's not true. Even when not expressed directly, you see it pretty clearly with a little experience.
You see the values and a lot of hints. As you see some hints of some other religions. And some religions mix badly together. Pretty different views and values.

Last edited:

Level 4
Reaction score
There will always be people mocking you when you're an outspoken Christian. Expect that to happen when you mix that with business. Deal with it. It's all in the scriptures.

That being said... the vast majority of people simply don't care. It's just about business. Mess with their business, expect critique. Do a good job and bring religion into that, expect them cutting you some slack.

Mess up and bring religion into it, expect major pushback....

This thread is a mess.

mr-x

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
For you and amplify, it wasn't you guys that quoted Rob, posted the video, linked to the transcript, I did. I think you guys maybe wanted to hide it since everybody agrees it wasn't a good look. You've made many posts now and for some reason can't quote what you think I should be reading. I went over it and it's not good the before and after. Which tells me again, you guys didn't actually watch the video or read.

I don't know what you're trying to prove. The video interview was a disaster; Every communication Rob makes is met with scorn, ridicule or negative criticism.

You made a statement, were asked to re-post it in context and 10 post later you're still arguing. Do it or don't.

robmonster

Epik.com CEO
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
As for the Anonymous-ANTIFA video meeting, this was an impromptu personal appeal to the perpetrators to not spread the data. At that time on September 14, the Tor files were starting to get fully seeded. As I saw it, there was still an opportunity for everyone to stand down. The olive branches were on display: (1) Epik had already convinced the ProlifeWhistleblower site to shut itself down more than a week prior, and (2) During the call, I agreed to take down YourDaddyJoey.com for alleged ToS violation pending further review of the site. In engaging that dialog, my number one focus was on our customers, and protecting their interests by slowing or averting the propagation of stolen data. I remain hopeful that the perpetrators and their sponsors will either repent, or be brought to justice.

As for the topic of faith, while it is a large part of my personal "why", I foresee a version of Epik coming into view that will formally separate my personal views from the operation of the company. Details about that will be announced. While I do not subscribe to the world view that humans evolved from primates, in no way should my personal views make anyone feel unwelcome at Epik. To the contrary, I believe the video meeting demonstrates a willingness to meet people wherever they are, without judgement, and with optimism in believing a higher self. Regardless of one's faith, a big part of what makes Epik special is the cultural norm of treating everyone that comes into our path with humility and compassion even if it is not immediately reciprocated!

MapleDots

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Having personally read the 107 pages on NamePros, without the ability to get involved due to being permanently banned, I would suggest for Rob to not get involved in it at all. Nobody in that thread is there to receive answers for personal benefit, i.e., to help them understand what they need to do in order to protect themselves.

The thread's purpose is solely to stack the cards against Epik and somehow, personally to attack Rob for being an outspoken Christian—that I find horrifying as we would never do the same to a different religion—and his pursuit of freedom of speech. And yes I am aware that free speech has consequences; however, it should not border on the line of terrorism as this was clearly politically motivated to expose "alt-right" users.

Why give anyone there an "ah-ha" moment as they're dissecting every word? Let them come here, where comments aren't cherry-picked in moderation, to have a conversation on more equal terms.

Why is the discussion at namepros instead of here?

Really makes no sense to me other than the fact that some people are enjoying the misfortune of others.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think you guys maybe wanted to hide it since everybody agrees it wasn't a good look.
I gave you a task to post the transcript, the 5 paragraphs before and after that was said. You failed to do this. Instead, you're using a propaganda tactic of taking what you want everyone to know from a well-published source and then attacking on that front. You did this because you understand people would follow blindly rather than seek the truth.

This is eerily similar to the campaign on Ivermectin. There was a lot of text on that citing its Nobel Peace Prize-winning and was in use in humans early on. However, the media took, and ran with, "horse medicine". That was all the people would ever know about it for the early time because sheep do not seek the truth. What does the "alt right" truth seekers get when trying to find alternatives? Mocked relentlessly for taking horse medicine.

Now, hopefully, we all know, or can agree, that it's not just horse medicine. Furthermore, there is seriously something wrong with modern medicine and science if they are going through those lengths to hide that, especially if it could have helped alleviate the death rate.
This forum actually used to be a professional place, full of some of the best domainers. You're not helping that out.
This place has always been professional and still is; that never changed. What it hasn't been was a transition from professional to corporate, which is what NamePros did and where I disagreed with them, eventually parting ways from payroll (permanently). For as long as I run DNForum, I will never let corporatism seep into the community; it's toxic because it brings conformity and doesn't belong.
That's what happens when you have a corporation run a community. They let their own bias in. It's apparent in all the staff replies that they are adding facts and then putting their personal opinion in to kick them while they're down based upon that fact, not helping them get back up.

robmonster

Epik.com CEO
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Really makes no sense to me other than the fact that some people are enjoying the misfortune of others.

I think Paul Buonopane at NamePros has an incredibly difficult job. He is managing a large forum that has become overrun with propagandists and provocateurs with unknown motivations.

At the same time, a forum tries to respect the intellectual property of the authors. Nobody likes to see their posts deleted, especially if the content was thoughtful and where the content was not backed up.

For now, I think we can just be happy that we have a relative robust industry, and that free speech is operating even though sometimes that freedom is being abused.

Looking ahead, I am likely to be a lot more active on DNForum going forward, mainly because I believe the culture here is being actively developed to be one of empowerment and abundance.

DapperJohn

Level 3
Reaction score
I gave you a task to post the transcript, the 5 paragraphs before and after that was said. You failed to do this. Instead, you're using a propaganda tactic of taking what you want everyone to know from a well-published source and then attacking on that front. You did this because you understand people would follow blindly rather than seek the truth.

This is eerily similar to the campaign on Ivermectin. There was a lot of text on that citing its Nobel Peace Prize-winning and was in use in humans early on. However, the media took, and ran with, "horse medicine". That was all the people would ever know about it for the early time because sheep do not seek the truth. What does the "alt right" truth seekers get when trying to find alternatives? Mocked relentlessly for taking horse medicine.

Now, hopefully, we all know, or can agree, that it's not just horse medicine. Furthermore, there is seriously something wrong with modern medicine and science if they are going through those lengths to hide that, especially if it could have helped alleviate the death rate.

This place has always been professional and still is; that never changed. What it hasn't been was a transition from professional to corporate, which is what NamePros did and where I disagreed with them, eventually parting ways from payroll (permanently). For as long as I run DNForum, I will never let corporatism seep into the community; it's toxic because it brings conformity and doesn't belong.

That's what happens when you have a corporation run a community. They let their own bias in. It's apparent in all the staff replies that they are adding facts and then putting their personal opinion in to kick them while they're down based upon that fact, not helping them get back up.
You failed in your task to read, many times now.

Intervectin?

"parting ways from payroll (permanently)" When were you paid staff? Doing what? And they banned you for breaking rules. You admitted that.

"Why is the discussion at namepros instead of here?"

Because the other forum is active, this one isn't. It doesn't help that @amplify lets people come and post 30 posts in a row. That's a good way to keep the people away. People complain about that at Namepros but I don't remember seeing 1 person do 30 posts in a row over there.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You failed in your task to read, many times now.
I've read, but you're still failing to comprehend. I cannot take you by the hand to do this. Either do it, or don't, and stop. It's just getting old.
"parting ways from payroll (permanently)" When were you paid staff? Doing what? And they banned you for breaking rules. You admitted that.
Yes, I needed to point out that I was on payroll there, and that I was a paid staff member and not just a moderator. The lines are blurred between the two. I was paid to write, moderate, and bug test. It's telling that you have a reading and comprehension problem now because I gave you my username on NamePros (N-A) previously, and again, where you can see my contributions to the NamePros blog when it was first introduced. If they take them down, they will forever be achieved on the early pages (1-5ish).

About the ban, they permanently banned N-A without my knowledge. I tried to reappear as ExcellentPicks and that account was banned for having more than 1 account (which is allowed here) and because I was permanently banned.
Because the other forum is active, this one isn't. It doesn't help that @amplify lets people come and post 30 posts in a row.
Would you like me to disable replying to threads for a "cool down" period as they're doing there?

I don't like that approach because this gives everyone the chance to speak at once, and as a forum, refresh and reply to everyone at once by multi-quoting. Stopping the discussion stops the dialogue that can be helpful because people get bored of waiting.

Rethinking this... it might be the way that NamePros closes the thread that makes me not think it's fair. I'm thinking they manually do it so that moderators can catch up, even though members still want to engage. I'm thinking for a small side project, as DNForum will emerge and once again have activity, and hopefully, very engaging and active threads again, that we should develop an automated tool to take the bias (corporatism) out of the equation.

Instead of locking threads for staff members to catch up and cherry-pick, I'll try to design a system that detects multiple posts and then locks the thread for an automated cool-down period, reopening it when the time is up. Innovative and takes the bias out of it.

Thanks for kind of giving this community a suggestion, @DapperJohn . :)

DapperJohn

Level 3
Reaction score
Rethinking this... it might be the way that NamePros closes the thread that makes me not think it's fair. I'm thinking they manually do it so that moderators can catch up, even though members still want to engage. I'm thinking for a small side project, as DNForum will emerge and once again have activity, and hopefully, very engaging and active threads again, that we should develop an automated tool to take the bias (corporatism) out of the equation.

Instead of locking threads to for paid staff members to catch up and cherry pick, I'll try to design a system that detects multiple posts and then locks the thread for an automated cool-down period, reopening it when the time is up. Innovative and takes the bias out of it.

Thanks for kind of giving this community a suggestion, @DapperJohn . :)
You could just have rules and enforce them.

It's not going to get active again if you keep on with this right leaning nonsense type stuff. As I said before, really try hard to post like a normal human being. You bring up Ivermectin out the blue, and this ongoing posts about bias, corporatism etc.

I guess English isn't your Native language but at least you're trying. But don't overthink this. Figure out forum rules, enforce those rules. Letting somebody post 30 times in a row, pimping their domains isn't a good look. It's not going to attract people here. It junks up the place. You're a mod, handle it.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You could just have rules and enforce them.
I'm not going to implement a bunch of rules that seriously look like laws (oh, by the way, now that you find more interest in me, I was the lead on gathering and compiling the NamePros rules into paragraphs, sub-paragraphs, etc.).

I think that was the downfall of NamePros to be honest. Everything had to be black and white; follow rule 1.2.6 or get a warning.

I've discussed rules here with @robmonster before and we've come to just one rule; the golden rule: Treat others as you would like to be treated. We'll have a one-paragraph "rules" page instead of a mind-bending rules page that makes you want to get a lawyer involved to determine if you're breaking a rule or not.

That said, I have not treated you as I would like to be treated, and let me take this time to apologize and address the rest of your post.

You bring up Ivermectin out the blue, and this ongoing posts about bias, corporatism etc.

I made your use of attempted propaganda on DNForum connect to the propaganda about Ivermectin to show other, logical thinking people, what you are attempting to do. People can see right through it now, because you have not shown the full picture, only what you want to show, even though citing the source where it came from. I said that was eerily similar to the Ivermectin propaganda, as that would be the latest in which people would remember.

I bring up corporatism because I do not want conformity here on DNFourm. For as much as I want you to think and act like me, I do not want to force you to think and act like me with rules that make it so. Just keep it simple and treat people how you would want to be treated.

I guess English isn't your Native language but at least you're trying. But don't overthink this. Figure out forum rules, enforce those rules. Letting somebody post 30 times in a row, pimping their domains isn't a good look. It's not going to attract people here. It junks up the place. You're a mod, handle it.

Handling it as I see fit. If you have any criticisms, create a suggestion thread and suggest for more than 1 simple rule.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators